Interesting Winch Comparison Test

ssssnake529

Explorer
This comparo was one of the reasons I recently bought a TDS winch. It was the best performing winch, and also the lightest.

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
According to the article, the Warn was tops in performance and durability. Only it's price kept it from the top spot.

I would love to see a long term test of these things. The once and done, out of the box tests are fine but a winch is something that gets used and abused over many years.

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
The made in USA Warn better beat all of those cheap China winches. It ran the coolest and used the least power. I bought that same Warn on Friday with synthetic line. Slightly used but stupid cheap on Craigslist. There was also an American made Ramsey Platinum 9000 for $300 listed. China keeps the top shelf companys honest and puts a winch in the hand of those on a budget. I bought one for a tow rig that never really got used from Harbor freight. From what I saw it was good deal. I use a Superwinch on the Jeep and it's been good but it's now China made as well. I miss the bulletproof Ramsey REP8000 that came on my first Jeep. I used that thing well over a hundred times without a problem but it was slow. I'd take a well worn REP8000 over a China winch anyday and they are easy to find.

At the Overland Expo the Warn rep told me to get a 9.5XP for my lighter than most E350 4x4 van. I don't use it on ruff trails. Winch bumpers for vans are rare and start at $1800 so building one for a low mount will simplify a build. He said it will out pull it's rating and take one hell of a beating if over used. It's light and he said thats the winch he would use. I trusted that advise and finally found one.

One thing the test did not do is line speed. For those that have not winched up a long hills the problem with a slow line speed is this: When winching a long way you help the winch by giving vehicle gas. As soon as it starts moving you keep on the gas to keep it moving. If the line speed is slow the vehicle runs over the cable or worse slides back with force snapping the cable or something else. It just so nice to be able to drive the rig at the speed of the cable and not have slack. The other time is when you ask your winch partner to climb up a hill dragging the cable. He will have to climb down to engage the winch. With a fast winch you leave it engaged and just power it out at the speed he is moving up the hill. Speed enhances safety and convienience and well worth the extra money. Just by them "fogetting" all about speed throws that article in the recycle bin. It proves it's a marketing ploy for them to payback those that advertise in their magazine. That old trick was Made in America along with the best winches.

ssssnake529

Explorer
The made in USA Warn better beat all of those cheap China winches. It ran the coolest and used the least power.

The Warn was fastest and used the least power. It was not the coolest running however. (Coolest was the TDS.)

I actually was going to buy the Warn winch. I figured that it was an American company, and I would probably get better customer service if there ever was a problem.

However, when I sent a message to Warn asking them to provide me with information on whether or not the winch would fit my ARB winch bumper, I got a canned response back that said that Warn doesn't give advice on fitment and I should ask the manufacturer of my bumper.

When I sent the same question to the TDS distributor, I got a lot of help. They did some research on which of their winches was most likely to fit, and sent me detailed drawings showing the winches with measured dimensions.

So, because Warn couldn't even be bothered to help me answer a question on fitment, I figured that I'd go with the company that provided me with better customer service and I bought the TDS winch. (which was a lot less expensive anyway.)

Nonimouse

Cynical old bastard
You can always tell the folk who have never used an equivalent by their attitude to that equivalent

What a scarey thought - will the world fall about us! The XP is knowhere near as good as the TDS; and OH MY GOD it was made in China AND designed by a Woman! Run for the hills....

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
You can always tell the folk who have never used an equivalent by their attitude to that equivalent

What a scarey thought - will the world fall about us! The XP is knowhere near as good as the TDS; and OH MY GOD it was made in China AND designed by a Woman! Run for the hills....

According to the folks who evaluted it, the XP was the best overall performer with only it's initial price holding it back. Says nothing about having an equivalent performer in this particular test. Atleast that's the way I read it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles