The camp cot thread; what's good, what's bad ...

jim65wagon

Less web-surfing and more trailer building, okay?

busted.....
hopefully our frame will be done next week......
and so I don't feel that we're hijacking this thread:
Slumberjack cots really are comfy
4661300436_d3c56680cf_m.jpg

Salue

Adventurer
I'm a fan of the camp time roll a cot, they're lightweight at only 10lbs and are easy to setup. We've had ours for over 3 years and haven't had any issue with them sagging; but then again, we haven't slept in them for weeks at a time. We also own their roll a table and roll a chair. They're made here in Washington state too.
The REI cot menioned earlier, I believe is more comfortable though. Right now, we put a sleeping pad on top of our cots and it's quite comfortable. I like the fact that you wouldn't need a separate pad for the REI cot since it is already padded. The downside is that it really doesn't pack very well. If I had the room, the REI cot would be the comfier way to go.

xjrguy

Hi all,

I came across this thread while searching "REI Comfort Cot"

For anyone on the fence about this cot, it's awesome.

For anyone who wants a killer deal on the same cot, but a different color you can buy it for $79.99 at Sport Chalet.

I bought two last night, slept on one and it's the real deal. Not sure why REI marked theirs up exorbitantly.

http://www.sportchalet.com/product/302182_3069725.do?keyword=portal+cot&sortby=ourPicks

Hope this helps some people save some cash for the holidays.

For anyone who wants a killer deal on the same cot, but a different color you can buy it for $79.99 at Sport Chalet.

I bought two last night, slept on one and it's the real deal. Not sure why REI marked theirs up exorbitantly.

http://www.sportchalet.com/product/302182_3069725.do?keyword=portal+cot&sortby=ourPicks

Hope this helps some people save some cash for the holidays.

It's not the same thing. Look at the measurements. REI's model is larger, sits higher off the ground, and Sportchalet didn't include the weight of it and weight capacity. REI's cot weighs just a little over 18 lbs and can hold 300 lbs.

xjrguy

It's not the same thing. Look at the measurements. REI's model is larger, sits higher off the ground, and Sportchalet didn't include the weight of it and weight capacity. REI's cot weighs just a little over 18 lbs and can hold 300 lbs.

Hey you are right.

The REI one is a couple inches wider and longer but not by much.

It also had adjustable legs.

FYI the sport chalet one has a 350lb weight capacity. I can weigh the one I bought to see how heavy it is.

The sport chalet one is definitely a quality cot. I was very impressed with the build quality.

Ala5ka

VX'er
Th Cabelas Alaskan Outfitter cot is enormous, heavy, and comfy! As an extensive product review I have been living on one instead of a bed for the past six months (product test=cheaper than a mattress) given time the material stretches and sags a tiny bit, but the structure remains and is rock solid. One night is nice on it, more than that like six months perhaps makes me feel like I was beat with a sack of bar soap every night and some of the noises my back makes have been described as "unhealthy" btw I am only 22. Other than prolonged living the cot kicks butt!

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
This is a timely thread! I have been looking for a decent sleeping solution for a while. Neither the wife nor I enjoy sleeping on the ground. Back of my truck (4runner) is a possibility, the problem there is that while it's big enough for two people to sleep, that's all it's big enough for - all the gear would have to go outside, which can be problematic.

I swung by a Gander Mountain last night and they had one of these double Kamp Rite Tent Cots set up:

http://www.google.com/products/cata...X&ei=D1f7TunjB4Hs0gGS0ODHAg&ved=0CKEBEPMCMAI#

Has anyone here used one? Any thoughts or experience?

Here's what I like about it:

1. Low profile - less likely to get blown around by wind and can be set up "downwind" of the truck so the truck acts as a windbreak

2. Unlike other tents, no requirement to stake it to the ground - means it can be moved around after setting up

3. Tent + cot together keeps me from having to carry both

4. Fairly lightweight, especially considering the size.

Now, my concerns are as follows:

1. Headroom? Is it much of an issue?

2. Pretty much impossible for two people to dress inside one of these. Even one person would be a stretch.

3. Durability? How do they hold up on long trips?

4. Comfort of sleeping area. I realize an additional pad would probably be a good idea.

Anyway, just curious if anyone here had tried one and what their experiences were.

adi

Adventurer
I figured I'd add in my own .02.

I bought an http://www.amazon.com/Teton-Sports-Outfitter-XXL-Cot/dp/B000P6BGYI/ in August, have been sleeping on it every night (I move a lot, got tired of moving traditional beds).

I got the pad as well, and have been very satisfied with both the cot and pad. The pad has a removable, washable cover. You can use a tent on top of it as well (pictures of people doing just that on the amazon page), and it supports 600LB (and again, amazon has a picture of 7 grown men standing on the cot).

Honu

lost on the mainland
when I lived in the Caribbean I had a hammock slept in some nights and others a really crappy bed I had their :) also had one most of the time when I lived on Lanai but never slept in them much but did on and off
tried a while but was not as comfy as I hoped ? its the hard days work then sleep in them for a month and tell me they are nice :) I guess if you get used to them ? my main issue is being stuck in one position
so they have their place and I might find them better than some ground ? slept on sand a lot and that is not so nice since you move it creates a big divy or bump and is not as nice as say grass

if I was to be in cold you would want to make sure the bottom is insulated !
Hawaii and Caribbean dont get to cold :) on super hot nights they can be nice to get that breeze under ya

comfy for sure napping and when sleeping above things you dont want biting you :) or when over really really rough ground

I would say they have a place in sleeping gear but not my only choice

MarcFJ60

Adventurer
I bought a couple Alps cots off SteepandCheap.com awhile back for like $40 each (gotta love some of those S&C deals).

I believe the one I have is the same as this:
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/alps-mountaineering-camp-cot-extra-large~p~1477r/?filterString=search~alps-cot%2F&colorFamily=15

It's the XL size - which is 86" long x 40" wide!
It's incredibly comfortable. I generally put my sleeping pad on top, but don't really find that it adds any comfort. I've slept on it maybe 10 times and it seems to be holding up fine. The feet have nice big rubber pads, so I haven't noticed any damage to my tent floors. There's no cross bracing or anything to interfere with the surface. The frame is painted aluminum, but it's still pretty heavy. But if I'm on a cot that means I'm car camping, so I'm not ll that concerned about weight and bulk. The hanging pouches are nice to stick a flashlight and your keys and wallet.

It looks pretty similar to some others I have seen, so there may be several that are just rebadged copies of one another. If you get a decent cot, you won't sleep on the ground again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior