6pass Expo Vehicle

Gizmolannigan

Greetings, been lurking for a while now...

I desperately want to get the family up and out in to woods, there are six of us, Myself, wife and 4 young un's on a small budget.

The problem is I need Six pass with enough room to not feel to cramped in (Wife requirement). Suburban is too big for this area (Big trees, narrow trails, etc)i like to stay with the smaller ish ones. I also would like to have fairly descent fuel mileage i.e. high teens. I am a mechanic so working on a older truck is just fine by me

So I was Thinking...

Montero, 7pass But as I’ve read not much available in the after market area.

Trooper, can add a third seat but really how much room is there?

Suzuki XL7, Not heard much at all about any reason why?

Land cruiser, Small budget so no Toyota.

Other than that maybe a Wagoneer But there goes the gas mileage.

Any input would be much appreciated

Giz

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
An AWD Astro/Safari with a 4x4 transfer case swap and a 4" lift will haul up to 8 people with big cargo volume behind the 3rd row...

JumpJ

Adventurer
Our 2003 Ford Excursion does it all. We are a smaller family but there is a ton of room for everything If you need it seating for 8 and so far no issues with space or ability. Good Luck.

haven

Expedition Leader
If you need 4x4, plus space for 6 passengers and luggage, i think your choice is limited to
-- a full size crew cab pickup with bench seats front and rear,
-- a longer SUV like an Excursion or Suburban
-- some sort of GM AWD van
-- a Ford or Dodge van modified to include 4x4

I think the Excursion or Suburban would be more maneuverable than the vans or crew cab pickups.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
If you need 4x4, plus space for 6 passengers and luggage, i think your choice is limited to
-- a full size crew cab pickup with bench seats front and rear,
-- a longer SUV like an Excursion or Suburban
-- some sort of GM AWD van
-- a Ford or Dodge van modified to include 4x4

I think the Excursion or Suburban would be more maneuverable than the vans or crew cab pickups.

This is why the Astro is a neat choice: Its 30+ inches shorter than a late-model Suburban, and almost 3 FEET shorter than a SHORT wheelbase van! Due to the engine placement, its also got a LOT less front overhang than just about anything else...

Gizmolannigan

Durability is my questionon in regareds to the van option. Im not talking rock crawling or anything but how doe the trail capabilties of the astro 4x4 line up with that of a mid sized SUV. I know Ill need a lift and a t-case swap.

You are making me think along these lines though. Im building a great mental image winch bumper, 3" lift, lights on a rack, could be a good one...

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Durability is my questionon in regareds to the van option. Im not talking rock crawling or anything but how doe the trail capabilties of the astro 4x4 line up with that of a mid sized SUV. I know Ill need a lift and a t-case swap.

You are making me think along these lines though. Im building a great mental image winch bumper, 3" lift, lights on a rack, could be a good one...

Do a search for posts by T.Low
So far, he has the most experience (on this forum) in offroading his 4x4 Astro (mine is still mid-build). He has video and pics of some of the places he's been, and in short form: it will surprise you.

If you visit astrosafarivans.com you can see more offroaded Astros. The "Sweet Pickle Bus" (SPB) being the one that has the most notoriety and custom development...

What is your budget?

I have an 80 series Landcruiser I picked up for less than $7K. It runs great, seats 7 comfortably, and gets 16mpg on the freeway.

Of course you get Toyota reliability and it will go most places you point it.

You might save a few thousand by going with the other choices, but you'll also get what you pay for.

Thanks,

Mike

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
I would pick the Astro AWD van. They are cheap, will fit 6 people, and come in a small package. My step dad has one that has a lift and a two speed t-case I put in. It really surprised me at the places it will go. I have 3 kids still at home and the nice thing about the van is you have room to spread kids out some on long trips, this is for you and the wifes sanity. You are a mechanic so you could do most of the work yourself. The astro seems like a pain to work on but once you have a little practice they are surprisingly easy for a small van. I am a mechanic and swore never to own a minivan but after working on my step dads astro my attitude has changed to I wouldn't mind having one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior