7 years dreaming finally doing ........ 416 camper

sammyb

Hi Guys

After 7 years dreaming and a few false starts, Im finally building my camper body for my 416 unimog.

Pics shows progress so far

sam

Attachments

• IMG_4684.jpg
    IMG_4684.jpg
    293.1 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_4685.jpg
    IMG_4685.jpg
    260 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_4687.jpg
    IMG_4687.jpg
    244.1 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_4716.jpg
    IMG_4716.jpg
    219.8 KB · Views: 40

Sitec

Adventurer
Brilliant!! I'm not too far behind you! Fantastic looking Mog too!!! Following with interest! :)

Last edited:

sammyb

Hi Guys

This really has been about 7 years in the planning/dreaming.
First start was with a full frame work welded up and a plan to clad with aluminum, after a few years of sitting the steel frame was too rusty to bother with soooooooo.......

The new plan

Im building the body in a friends barn and have a forklift/tractor to lift the heaviest panels

Building to my own design the base frame is steel I beam cut in half and welded to make a solid base with two lifting points at the rear for a forklift to slide in too,

Depending on how it all goes I may adapt the frame to use trailer lift jacks to remove it from the truck.

The panels are a simple foam sandwich comprising of Gelcoat, plywood, 45mm refrigeration foam, plywood and Gelcoat, the edges are all high density foam to provide a point to screw in to. Also on the bottom there is a 5 x 50mm aluminum strip inside the panel to provide a solid fixing point.
Total panel thickness 60mm

Panels are bonded to the frame with sika 252 and also M8 bolts at the base for extra strength, also the joins and roof are bonded with 252 and screwed
all in all a pretty solid construction

pairospam

Observer
Welcome to this quiet exotic world of the truck/camper self builders. Nice shop and nice old 416 indeed.

Where are you from? Did you build the panels yourself?

Keep up the work and let us know how it goes.

Pairoa

sammyb

Hi

I'm building the truck in England , myself I'm quite multi national , born in England , brought up in Australia and work in the super yacht industry worldwide......

Panels were professionally built by Coldsaver in Selby , Yorkshire , they are located in a ship yard that built the Rainbow Warrier
Pretty interesting place

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12