70 C-20 4x4 Suburban Father/Son project

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Nice score Lance! I love the old 3-door Suburban’s. Yours even came with the General Lee’s wheels too! There is no shortage of goodies for older GM trucks that is for sure. Keep your eyes peeled for a front axle from a ‘71 or later ¾ ton so you can convert this ole girl to front disk brakes soon. Those front drum brakes will be spooky on the trail!

The only thing I am not fond of on the ’67-’72 Subs is the wooden floor in the rear of the vehicle as they always seem to be cracked somewhere and allow moisture in. Curious to see how the previous owner mounted that hoist in there given the wood floor??

Looking forward to seeing your progress with this Sub. Looks like I’ll be seeing you on the 67-72chevy forums more now days. :ylsmoke:

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Hey Bill, yes it does need some work from you on the back for sure...would you be able to make use of that hoist for anything around the shop? I already got it out (pics soon) and am saving it for you.

Howdy Larry, I like when I logged on to 67-72chevy (after many years away) and saw your threads in the 4x4 section. I knew you would be a great resource.

I have been pretty happy with the drum brakes so far but I am sure the first time I have to change the pads I will be all about a 4 wheel disc swap :)
I need to get under it more and figure out what my front & rear axles are (I think Eaton in the back).

Larry, Bill or anyone else...I am looking to get started on changing the fluids (diffs, transfer, trans, engine, rad, pwr steer) and doing some PM so please chime in with any thoughts.

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Hey Bill, yes it does need some work from you on the back for sure...would you be able to make use of that hoist for anything around the shop? I already got it out (pics soon) and am saving it for you.

Howdy Larry, I like when I logged on to 67-72chevy (after many years away) and saw your threads in the 4x4 section. I knew you would be a great resource.

I have been pretty happy with the drum brakes so far but I am sure the first time I have to change the pads I will be all about a 4 wheel disc swap :)
I need to get under it more and figure out what my front & rear axles are (I think Eaton in the back).

Larry, Bill or anyone else...I am looking to get started on changing the fluids (diffs, transfer, trans, engine, rad, pwr steer) and doing some PM so please chime in with any thoughts.

Yeah, in less than a week I doubt you have had a chance to hate anything on that truck yet! I would be too busy cruising around Phoenix with a huge grin on my face if that was mine. Love those old Subs!

The front is going to be a Dana 44 while the rear will be the Eaton H052. Both are decent axles but your current front axle has drum brakes so that makes it a good axle candidate to be swapped out and taken to the scrap yard. The rear H052 is a bomb proof rear axle but there isn’t much aftermarket support as far as traction devices. That said, you might want to keep your eyes peeled on Craigslist for a donor ’73-’78 ¾ ton 4x4 to pirate the front D44 and rear Corp 14 bolt full floater (sure a front D60 would be best if you can find one). You’re going to need to change the brake combination valve and master cylinder when you do the front disc swap as well. Quite honestly, I wouldn’t worry about a rear disk swap. Swapping to hydroboost brakes give more breaking performance than rear disks on vacuum any day. I thought about rear disks on mine but after adding hydroboost I don’t see the point. It will lock up the rear even with the weight of the loaded camper on it.

Nothing to add to your fluid change other than I have had great luck with Lucas gear lube over the other brands as it seems to quiet things down more. Especially the typically noisy gear driven NP205 transfercase.

So, when are we doing the fuel injection and overdrive transmission swap? :Wow1:

I recently bought a Sub too. Not sure if you saw that thread.

Phaedrus

Fond Memories!
When I was in college in the late 1960's I had a summer job working for a company doing uranium prospecting in central Wyoming's Pumpkin Buttes. We had a fleet of Suburbans like yours and regularly logged over 150 miles per day in them. The "Subs" packed all of our surveying gear and hauled us cross country through sage brush, dry river beds, and to the top of mesa's for spectacular views. I've been in love with Suburbans ever since. I had a 1980 with a small block 400 that I wish I still had. I currently drive a 1989 that I bought new and which has 180,000 miles on the clock and is still going strong. Good luck with your precious find!

Phaedrus

The only thing I am not fond of on the '67-'72 Subs is the wooden floor in the rear of the vehicle as they always seem to be cracked somewhere and allow moisture in.

The old ranchers in my part of the country preferred the wood truck beds over metal. Whatever they threw into the back of the truck with a wood bed tended to stay where is was placed, while on a metal bed everything slid about and banged around. When the wood went bad they cut a new piece and screwed it in place of the worn out one. Wood beds weren't pretty but they were utilitarian. This was long before spray-on bed liners of course. :)

ColoradoBill

Adventurer

I don't have a use for your lift, Lance. Thanks anyway. Anytime you want to start on a bumper let me know. I can even build the bumper here then haul it down to your place for the install.
I am thinking a larger version of the Landcruiser bumper. Do you want a fuel can rack since this big old pig is gonna use a heck of a lot more fuel?

1leglance

Too bad you can't use the lift and I was thinking how cool it would be in your Dodge Truck :)

You actually lit a fire in me to get a welder and learn/make alot of the stuff I need like a aux battery tray, sliders, bumpers, laptop mount, roof rack and more...I have been watching the local craiglist but there are too many choices and it is hard to know what is good.

I know on the back I want the tire on a swing out, not sure about anything else yet.

On the fuel tank issue I have a few options from a newer burb tank of 31 gals, adding a saddle tank to let me (but then I gotta add another filler), or going with up to a 45 gal custom tank (which I think I like best).

Also on the back I am thinking on this bumper I will need to go something to protect the body sides on my rear overhang, cuz I got alot of rear overhang :)
I am honestly looking at cutting some sheet metal just to get a better departure/drop off angle back there.

On the front I am at a total loss right now :)

We need to do some kind of trip over the Christmas break, I am already blocking out time.
Old School run for sure.

1leglance

Well with the help of my brother in law it was time to do a little deconstruction and return to original on the old burb.

I put Alex to work unbolting stuff while I started in on a weird starting issue I had....don't we all hate electrical gremlins?
DSC_1735.JPG

He did a great job of pulling out one of those mile wide, multi-pane rear view mirrors and installing this pretty puppy...and I figured out it was my neutral safety switch that was bad...at least dropping the column on these things isn't tooo bad. Oh and I gotta say having Vintage Ford & Chevy/Socal so close to my house is nice for me and bad for my bank account :)
DSC_1737.JPG

Alex got back to the front end and just kept pulling pounds and pounds of steel off of it. My younger son is learning blacksmithing and really wants all this metal. I am thinking of buying a welder so he & I can learn to make all the bits we will want on this rig.
DSC_1738.JPG

I am telling you the front of the rig was 1in taller after Alex was done shedding this stuff off the rig...I was not having fun under the dash.
DSC_1739.JPG

Buy the time I had the switch on the column replaced he had already gotten rid of both side mirrors and put these originals one...much better.
DSC_1743.JPG

This is what we left on for frontal protection for now...I like it.
DSC_1744.JPG

The windshield dude were finishing up as Alex & I started in on the nasty shag removal and figuring out how to get the big bad boom arm out.
DSC_1747.JPG

The original vinyl flooring isn't too bad and will work till I gut the inside for sound deadening & insulation.
DSC_1748.JPG

DSC_1749.JPG

Now this is more like it and should give me a solid platform to start planning the inside buildout.
DSC_1750.JPG

Last edited:

ColoradoBill

Adventurer
Good plan Lance, Great idea going with a larger tank. The 45gal tank would be my choice as well. You may need to beef up the rear springs, all that extra weight hanging behind the rear axle will make it sag.

I can't wait to see the rig!

I am ready for a trip Christmas break. I am off from Dec 17th-Jan1st, so whenever works for you.

Zimnij Volk

Observer
The original vinyl flooring isn't too bad and will work till I gut the inside for sound deadening & insulation.
DSC_1748.JPG

I'm still getting a kick out of the wood blocks. That wouldn't have been part of it like the wooden bed, would it? :)

Loving the old 3 door. Subscribed to this build. :drool:

Rot Box

Explorer
Can't wait to see more :bike_rider:

That one didn't by chance come with a factory tachometer did it?

mkitchen

Explorer
Hi Lance
Just some questions; I didn't notice if you said what size engine it has in it, big block or small block? I did notice that you have the 3500 LB front axle. That is the stronger of the two that were available then. I am building up a 71 Ford F 250 and am having a ball with it. I do love the old suburbans though and would love to have another. Keep us updated on the truck's progress. Does the Ol Boy have a name?
Mikey

1leglance

hey Rot, yep factory tach dash which is nice as I am working to keep it retro thus no big aftermarket tach.

Mickey it is 350 and seems to do fine with that motor. I have owned built 350's, way built 454's, nicely done 396's and I think this mild 350 (recent crate motor) is perfect for what I need.
It is backed up with a Turbo 400 (also recent) and I am not sure what transfer case yet.

I am pretty sure I have the Eaton rear end and still need to ID the front axle. I like the Spicer hubs but since I can't seem to find rebuilt parts I will more than likely switch to Warn or something else that I can service more easily.

I took it on a trail run today with ton of built Jeeps and at first they looked at me funny but it did great, just a matter of knowing your tire placement and vehicle ability.

Watch for a switch to a Holley Off Road Avenger carb I just got of craigslist, install of a 3 gauge setup (water, oil temp, trans temp) and more very soon.

Then will come seats, tires and a few more goodies....got to gut the interior soon for sound deadening/insulation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles