Split the Jeep thread in two: one for Rock Crawlers and another for Expeditioning

bldeagle10

Explorer
there are certain aspects about certain Jeeps ehemJKehem....that I don't like, but still, every Jeep is capable, and can do great things. just have to keep an open mind to some of the information thrown at you. I love my 99 XJ with solid front axle and such, but I know IFS can be great too. especially if you daily drive your expo rig. or use it for more highway expo/cross country don't see too much dirt kind of stuff, but even so, off road they are capable...keep it together, more moderation..who is the moderator/admin who monitors this section of expo?

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
x2 Easy to do, luckily mine only contains one user...........Sorry BlackZJ, you are a nice guy in person, but your online persona comes across as a class A jack ************/ ignorant hillbilly! And I think it is starting to annoy a lot of folks including me!

Back to the subject at hand:
My vote is to keep all the Jeeps together. Personally I learn from all different types of builds: pre-runner builds, crawler builds, expedition builds all have quite a bit of crossover in each "genera." Each different build type has different lessons/ techniques you can apply to your own vehicle. Plus its nice to see the extremes of each in one location. I welcome seeing crawler type builds over here, much more respectful crowd to boot. Other boards I have been on are pretty darn rude, I think that this board fosters good discussions (with the exception of a few bad eggs).

Have we met?

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
x2 Easy to do, luckily mine only contains one user...........Sorry BlackZJ, you are a nice guy in person, but your online persona comes across as a class A jack ************/ ignorant hillbilly! And I think it is starting to annoy a lot of folks including me!

Hey now!! How did I get dragged into this?? :elkgrin:

I like my Jeeps, I like all Jeeps! I like any and all 4 wheel drive vehicles, regardless of their suspension design.

I think the forum should stay as it is, so folks can learn from all sides of the Jeep thing.

Hill, Bill E.

:coffeedrink:

RedRocker

Adventurer
Dang, don't come around for a while and miss a blazing controversy. :yikes:
It's the internet, take what you can use and ignore the rest, it's as simple
as that. ;)

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
Why this question specific to Jeeps? All brands have gone from beam axles to IFS(except the HD Fords and Dodges), so are we going to split all the sections? Point is, this site is about the 'Expedition', and the vehicle is the tool, NOT the focus. Sites like Pirate focus on the vehicle for the vehicle's sake. Or even individual vehicle/brand/model specific sites which are all about the vehicle. The beauty of this site to me is a melting pot of travelers utilizing their experience- usually in multiple different rigs, and sharing same, to help each other build a better mouse trap/overland vehicle. I think we need the varied opinions and discussion that develops from the straight vs. IFS debate to allow folks to realize the differences between the two systems as well as the advantages of each...

mbybee

Well, I mostly lurk, but I will chime in on this.

There are SO many sites dedicated to rock crawl that it's ridiculous. I have never cared for it, and always been more of a "whatever can get me to where I can take good photos and get away from people" guy. I'm glad there's more interest in expedition stuff now, since traditionally whenever I had a discussion on it the Landy crowd usually told me to get lost. Building Jeeps that can overland tends to get you dirty looks on the rock forums, and running Jeeps in the overland forums tends to get you similar.

I hope we can all get along :)

squint

Adventurer
No disrespect meant here...I read all the forums- Mud, Pirate, ROF, JU, JF, etc and they all tend to be tight-knitt bunches. I have always admired all types of classic four wheel drives and this forum brings everyone together in a place that people can understand/help one another in. We all tend to generally like camping, exploring, traveling, fourwheeling, and self reliance. The rock crawlers are a section of this crowd and have to represented here. There is a huge draw to this forum because it offers interesting and new ideas to those people who have been caught in their own clicks for so long (e.g. rockcrawlers). They (the rockcrawlers) offer a unique perspective but you just have to remember what world they are coming from. This is a great "melding of the minds" we have here and the minute you try to boot/separate opinions because you don't enjoy hearing from them, you are censoring ideas and the whole reason this forum works.

:ylsmoke:

Last edited:
Don't take it so personally. It's only a forum to have fun with. When I write that stuff, it's really in jest.

That being said, there are advantages to both set ups which have been discussed over and over since the implemnetation of ifs. Personally, I prefer sfa, that's just me.

But to say split up info that is relevant to both systems into one category or another... well that's like choosing ifs over sfa ;)

enumclaw

I bow to the wisdom of all of the great responses and associated insight. I now

withdraw the recommendation. I really appreciate all the feedback. Will have many more questions. Want to get my '11 capable to travel roads from Seattle to southern tip of South America and back - remaining in one piece (the Jeep I mean).
Thanks to ALL.

Logans91XJ

Dirt Road Anthem
Not to start any kind of trouble even though I am several Jack's deep, I kinda think if you are really into rock crawling or just boasting about how much money you dropped at AEV you should probably find a new site. This forum is based on traveling and pictures. Not everyone is knocking down 80K a year and have an unlimited budget.

More pictures and less blah!

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Not to start any kind of trouble even though I am several Jack's deep, I kinda think if you are really into rock crawling or just boasting about how much money you dropped at AEV you should probably find a new site. This forum is based on traveling and pictures. Not everyone is knocking down 80K a year and have an unlimited budget.

More pictures and less blah!

The funny thing is that in over 12 years of owning a Jeep I hadn't ever even really heard of AEV until I joined this site. Even funnier is that I have pennies on the dollar invested in my Jeep compared to an AEV rig and it will go just about anywhere they will. Oh, and I could sleep in the back of my rig if I needed to.

bob91yj

Resident **************
What if I am REALLY in to rock crawling...

benderjambo07062.jpg

Enjoy overlanding...

deathvalley0207171.jpg

...make over $80k a year but have never spent a dime at AEV?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior