Split the Jeep thread in two: one for Rock Crawlers and another for Expeditioning

Cards81fan

Osage Hilltopper
What if I am REALLY in to rock crawling...

Enjoy overlanding...

...make over $80k a year but have never spent a dime at AEV?

Then just GTFO!

Kidding! :D I figured a bit of false bravado could add some levity to this thread.

I own two IFS vehicles, a Liberty and a Dakota. Would I prefer SFA? Probably, but only due to the simplicity of it and the suspension over an IFS. I.e., it's a heck of a lot easier to replace springs and shocks on a TJ front than a KJ.

SFA is arguably more robust, at least the applications that are in common use today. But is my IFS a limiter? Has it ever given me any problems in the real world? No, save for a CV boot and axle half shaft I had replaced under warranty. It sure helps the 97% of the time I drive on payment. Others may have a different need and seek a different solution. To each their own. As multiple posters have said, the blending of opinions and (dare I say) discord is what makes this a great place to read tons of information, and come to your own conclusion as to what works for you.

Edit to add: As Scott said about the Liberty and JKU, most vehicles are surprisingly capable in stock form. I think on the whole, we spent too much on lifts and tires. We subsidize skill with more, bigger equipment. Usually some good tools (like recovery points, straps) and good driving can get you surprisingly far. IMHO, YMMV.

Cheers. :safari-rig:

JPK

Explorer
Not to start any kind of trouble even though I am several Jack's deep, I kinda think if you are really into rock crawling or just boasting about how much money you dropped at AEV you should probably find a new site. This forum is based on traveling and pictures. Not everyone is knocking down 80K a year and have an unlimited budget.

More pictures and less blah!

You ought to price out AEV's suspensions and other gear. High quality stuff, made in the USA (except for the wheels) and comparable price to other options. Price up, say, a RK 3.5" mid arm flex suspension or Synergy's version, including the required shocks, and then AEV's 3.5" suspension. Less money by far.

The AEV option will ride and handle better too.

Then try the same for an equal quality front bumper or rear bumper and tire carrier.

JPK

brushogger

Explorer
JgAll I've owned for the last 35 years have been 4wds and I've had everything from a Cj6 to a Suzuki Brute and now a Rover. I remember when the YJ was going to be the death of the real Jeep, and when they switched from leaf springs you'd have thought they punched the Pope. The point is, technology changes and for the most part it gets better. The best thing is with the huge aftermaket and plethora of all types of used rigs you can easily build whatever you like. The technology cross pollenates and makes for some very unique rigs. There's room for all here. Personally I like it all. I'm just limited by fundage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
We have both. A Liberty and Cherokee. We love the Liberty but IFS sucks. It's flimsy and I would not use it for anything but a maintained dirt road. Solid axle can take a beating and still be in alignment for the ride home. No comparison but some still want to compare their IFS suspension to that on a quarter million dollar race truck... Come on. I do say "Run what ya brung" So if your using your IFS off road then that beats any solid axle that stays on the road. Just don't beat it, lift it or put big tires on it or it will rear it's ugly side.

Joker

Adventurer
What if I am REALLY in to rock crawling...

Enjoy overlanding...

...make over $80k a year but have never spent a dime at AEV?

Bob what brand is that rack on the back of your TJ? I'm looking to get something similar.

bob91yj

Resident **************
It's a Warrior rack. Got from Quadratec or 4 Wheel Parts, don't remember wich one.

It meets my needs, I had to put the eyebolts in along the top rail...you'd think a rack would have some provision for tie downs, other than the top rail itself, this one has NONE. It's a bit heavy/over built, having said that, I had one of the cheap WalMart styles, wadded it up in one trip. The other down side is you can't open the tailgate without removing the rack. I also had to drill a new pin hole for the reciever portion to extend it out so that it would clear my spare tire. My spare tire rack/bumper has the spare tight against the tailgate, if your spare/bumper sticks out a bit, you may need a hitch extender to make the rack work.

Joker

Adventurer
It's a Warrior rack. Got from Quadratec or 4 Wheel Parts, don't remember wich one.

Thanks Bob, that's what the emblem on the back looked like but the I-bolts made it look like the one from Olympic. You also basically answered every follow on I would have, I'm running 10” wide tires on the Smittybuilt bumper and I can barely get my bike rack into the receiver and need to kick it to properly seat it.

Again thanks for the info that helps a lot.

Toolman

Explorer
The reason it doesn't need to be split is because this is the place for information and discussion on "overland" vehicles. I can say that when I have the need for info on Rock Crawling this isn't the place to be. The rock crawlers are on P4X4 and other discussion forums. So if you can't handle the RC answers when it comes to your IFS, consider the source. We like big tires, big rocks and some of us enjoy long travel off road and then head for the canyons for some rock crawling.
I like EP because there is a little bit of everything here and we are all here because we enjoy the out doors. Enjoy your IFS, and your ESL.

my.02¢

Quill

Adventurer
Yeah, I can't understand that we Jeep owners are passionate about what we drive! I mean you don't see Toyota or Land Rover people acting that way.:rolleyes: I think what is being asked is to stick to the sport the person is asking about. Also don't feel you have to put someone else's rig ideas down to make your choices seem more relevant. You can always just shake your head and walk away.

Mexican_Hippie

Jeez, "it's like playing cars with my sister's kids."

Y'all sound like some old ladies complaining about needle point vs cross stitch, LOL!

If you like someone's advice take it, if not don't. If someone's being an idiot ignore them.

This thread just wasted 5 min of my life I can't get back, and provides pretty much no value whatsoever to anyone who comes to read thia thread.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles