Split the Jeep thread in two: one for Rock Crawlers and another for Expeditioning

enumclaw

While I am very interested in all Jeeping, this site seems to be showing too much "there are Harleys (rockcrawling solid front axle types, and then there are motorcycles (expedition oriented folks with folks having IFS).
Everytime I ask a question I get the solid axle, get a real Jeep response. THAT IS ALL GOOD up-until it is boring and wastes everyones time. We all bought what we bought. This is a Expeditioning site, not a infinite wheel travel rock crawling site. I have Harleys and others, but good lord, the Harley guys keep beating the hell out of a subject that is not pertinent to the subject...it ain't a Harley (duh - reeally???)...same here with the axle crap.....its all good.

Yes - rock crawlers can be expedtion vehicles - but except for the Jeep site I don't see my wheels are bigger than yours wheels. Is it phalic for some...geez...what about all the other components to expeditioning....oops...there is that word again.....

A vast number of great expedition rigs have IFS. A vast number of these folks are not interested in, nor are they ever going to subject their rig to crawling over a 40 inch or bigger boulders....And yes - that is cool and great stuff)..so to keep from boring the hell out of each other, how about splitting this Expeditioning Jeep site into two folders. Those interested in Expeditioning and those who like all the great stuff. And remember - its all good.

Last edited:

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Its basically because a lot of the 'expedition' crowd in the USA, especially jeep people, are coming down from the rock crawling high of the 90s and early 2000s.

Ignore the comments that are not relevant.

I find it REALLY funny that the cutting edge go-fast rock racer crowd is going IFS now......hehe.

Bubblegoose1

@PNWINFERNOPRO
I don't see the need to split Jeep into 2 folders; just educate those who post.

I am a wheeler/trail runner/minimal crawler/Expo guy who is slowly down-tuning my rig for more long distance adventures. I don't bash someone because he/she has a different rig. Of course, not all are my taste. But that is why people and rigs are different. It allows for build innovation and thinking outside of the box.

Those that are on this forum should be expo-minded; leave the childish, kiddy Jeep and forum battles to the Jeep-based forums. I got tired of it all and went forum-neutral; Expedition Portal is the only forum decal that will be on my rig.

Last edited:

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
While I am very interested in all Jeeping, this site seems to be showing too much "there are Harleys (rockcrawling solid front axle types, and then there are motorcycles (expedition oriented folks with folks having IFS).
Everytime I ask a question I get the solid axle, get a real Jeep response. THAT IS ALL GOOD up-until it is boring and wastes everyones time. We all bought what we bought. This is a Expeditioning site, not a infinite wheel travel rock crawling site. I have Harleys and others, but good lord, the Harley guys keep beating the hell out of a subject that is not pertinent to the subject...it ain't a Harley (duh - reeally???)...same here with the axle crap.....its all good.

Yes - rock crawlers can be expedtion vehicles - but except for the Jeep site I don't see my wheels are bigger than yours wheels. Is it phalic for some...geez...what about all the other components to expeditioning....oops...there is that word again.....

A vast number of great expedition rigs have IFS. A vast number of these folks are not interested in, nor are they ever going to subject their rig to crawling over a 40 inch or bigger boulders....And yes - that is cool and great stuff)..so to keep from boring the hell out of each other, how about splitting this Expeditioning Jeep site into two folders. Those interested in Expeditioning and those who like all the great stuff. And remember - its all good.

Is English your second language?

enumclaw

I have a liberty with IFS and want to turn it into a world-class around the worlder and take it there......most of what I get is crap solid axle stuff. Hell, I love alll the Jeeps - mine has IFS ok - lets get good feedback. Some of the folks are genuine gems with their knowledge...some....waste my time.waste their own time.

Black ZJ - is the perfect example

Last edited:

reece146

Automotive Artist
Don't mind Black ZJ. He wasn't socialized properly as a puppy. Just ignore him when he says stupid ********. He seems to know his stuff and will give a good nugget o' knowledge every once in a while if you can tolerate the constant attitude. If you can't, add him to your ignore list.

I don't think there is a need to split the Jeep section. It would be different if there were a huge number of posts. Where do we draw the line? I ignore all the JK stuff for the most part but I don't think there should be a separate JK only section.

marshal

Burrito Enthusiast
a lot of information discovered from rock crawling led to the invention of some really great parts. however, with the recent influx of newbs that the JK crowd brought (as well as every new model change) there is a lot of misinterpretation and misinformation floating around as well. further, the Wrangler guys all have their own cult section here. you can't really compete with us. i don't say that out of some egotistic thought process, but its true. its odd, but the whole "its a jeep thing, you wouldn't understand" is actually pretty true to the point.

a lot of the rock crawler crowd is uneducated in the merits of high quality ride, components etc. there are many that would slap on a Rubicon Express or teraflex kit and think they're a god. where on the other spectrum there are many that think there isn't anything better than an AEV lift. now i can tear apart both sides and tell you exactly why they suck and what would be the best for a wrangler of any vintage, but that would start a forum war. it always does.

the best thing to do is quietly seek advice and ignore the others, otherwise you'll end up with what you are moaning and groaning about in the first place. that said, i don't think the forum should be split.

JeepN95YJ

Adventurer
Don't mind Black ZJ. He wasn't socialized properly as a puppy. Just ignore him when he says stupid ********. He seems to know his stuff and will give a good nugget o' knowledge every once in a while if you can tolerate the constant attitude. If you can't, add him to your ignore list.

I use the ignore list to its fullest.

McZippie

Walmart Adventure Camper
I'd like a third split in addition to Rock Crawlers and Expedtion Jeeps.
#3 Bling Jeeps...

Oh silly me, that would mean we'd be back to only 'one' grouping again.

Dirty_Jeeper

Adventurer
I love my jeeps with solid front axles, but it's my personal preference what I drive. I'm not here for Jeeps. I'm here for the rest of the info and friends on this site. Some rigs and concepts I like and some I don't like. But this isn't a forum to flame each other, that's why it's so nice. Let the flame wars take place on the other forums. The huge mix of rigs, experience and knowledge is what makes this forum what it is.

Bubblegoose1

@PNWINFERNOPRO
I love my jeeps with solid front axles, but it's my personal preference what I drive. I'm not here for Jeeps. I'm here for the rest of the info and friends on this site. Some rigs and concepts I like and some I don't like. But this isn't a forum to flame each other, that's why it's so nice. Let the flame wars take place on the other forums. The huge mix of rigs, experience and knowledge is what makes this forum what it is.

Very well put.

bob91yj

Resident **************
I find it REALLY funny that the cutting edge go-fast rock racer crowd is going IFS now......hehe.

So true! Someone needs to tell Shannon Campbell that IFS will never work in the rocks...he killed it at The King of the Hammer's last year. Dave Cole (KoH promoter) built an IFS car for Ultra 4 class desert racing, it's had a few bugs to work out, but that dog will run!

Both of my Jeeps are solid front axle but my truck is IFS. I don't use my truck the way I use my Jeep's. There is no way in hell I want to live with a solid front axle for the thousands of street miles it sees compared to the hundreds of dirt road miles it might see. The Ford and Dodge guys love giving the GM crowd grief about not having a solid front axle. Mine meets MY needs quite nicely!

Last edited:

Scott Brady

Founder
We would not split the Jeep forum. It is fun to see both extremes - both sides provide some insights.

Personally, I appreciate the performance that the Jeep Wrangler Unlimited has. It is shocking how good that truck is on the trail, completely stock.

I have also driven a few IFS Jeeps, even taking the first Liberty (completely stock) over the Rubicon.scott_liberty_photo_rock.JPG

I also enjoy some really technical trail driving and I assume many others here do as well. There are advantages to regularly driving technical terrain as it keeps your skills sharp.

wjeeper

I use the ignore list to its fullest.

x2 Easy to do, luckily mine only contains one user...........Sorry BlackZJ, you are a nice guy in person, but your online persona comes across as a class A jack ************/ ignorant hillbilly! And I think it is starting to annoy a lot of folks including me!

Back to the subject at hand:
My vote is to keep all the Jeeps together. Personally I learn from all different types of builds: pre-runner builds, crawler builds, expedition builds all have quite a bit of crossover in each "genera." Each different build type has different lessons/ techniques you can apply to your own vehicle. Plus its nice to see the extremes of each in one location. I welcome seeing crawler type builds over here, much more respectful crowd to boot. Other boards I have been on are pretty darn rude, I think that this board fosters good discussions (with the exception of a few bad eggs).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles