Superduty V10 vs 6.0

homemade

Adventurer
I have a 2004 F350 crew cab with the infamous 6.0. I don’t have any current issues with the 6.0 other than I am really tired of the diesel rattle and noise and I don’t need a crew cab anymore so I was thinking of trading the truck for something like a Fiesta for work commute and buying a used ‘05 Superduty extra cab with the V10. My current truck gets ~17-18mpg on highway with a camper on it or without the camper. I assume that empty a v10 with similar gears will get more like 10-14 on the highway and have plenty of power. The ‘05s have a different front suspension and a smaller turning radius and the extra cab instead of the crew should also help some with that.

Anything I am missing or issues with the V10. I don’t want another problem prone engine but I really like the Ford cab and running gear.

FishPOET

Adventurer
I have the older V10 and it gets 14-15 mpg unloaded, 10-11 mpg with a camper and 7-8 mpg with camper & trailer. Plenty of power to move 17000# down the highway and up the mountain.

TC0913.jpg

bjm206

Adventurer
2005 and later 6.8L V10s (3v engines) are very reliable (especially compared to the 6.0). The only standout issue they have is related to the spark plug design which can make changing them a problem as they can break in two when being removed. My experience is with fleet vehicles that typically get 8-13 mpg depending on loading and individual driving style.

greasyfingers

Exspect 8-13mpg, and the spark plug problem is more than being a pain to access, breaking off into the head is common so is them shooting out while driving down the road. I would rather have the troublesome 6.0 than the V10. If you want to quiet it down go with a Hushpower muffler and a FTE resonator, That will do wonders. You can also do the Excursion hush panels that clip to the firewall under thae dash, and if you are feeling froggy you can do some sound deadening like Raamat. It's not that expencive to do just a little time consuming. I've done all of the above except I have an Aeroturbine muffler instead of the hushpower my 7.3 is a dream to drive. 7.3 has more rattle than the 6.0. Here are some pics of the sound deadening install. I also installed open and closed cell acustic foam.

BCHauler

Adventurer
Spitting spark plugs is an issue only with the early v10's 99-04. In 03 (I think) they added a thread or two to the plug holes and then in 05 they went to the 3v head which solved the ejecting plug problem. They do have plug breaking issues in the 05 -07ish range that was solved later with a different plug design.

I find the 6.8 v10 to be low maintenance and reliable. Some people seem to get 10-14 mpg but they are definitely not the majority. My experience is 9-10.5 mixed unloaded, 7-9 loaded, 12ish on the highway driven conservatively. Lots of power always.

The v10 seems to like the lower gears (4.10, 4.30, 4.56) and you don't seem to pay much if any fuel penalty. It likes to rev, and unlike the diesel, you need to get used to 3,000 4,000 rpm climbing grades.

I drive a 6.0 for work so I do have a basis for comparison. The 6.8 is great, just know what you're getting into...

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
All the Modular Ford engines used the same spark plug and head design. The problem with them spitting plugs gets blamed on the V-10s. They are actually less common to blow plugs than the V-6 or V-8 engines and how often do you hear about them failing? Not very. The 10 is a good engine and if you want confirmation then call local RV centers and ask them how the thousands of RV's in the US hold up using them. They are great.

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
My buddy has the V10 in his Excursion, orig owner and now 200k and orig water pump!! He has had zero issues, and gets mid teens empty- says he will never sell it...

homemade

Adventurer
Good info, thanks.

My 6.0 seem louder than most and has been since new. The exhaust is very quiet coming from the tailpipe - the noise is engine compartment, I don’t think a 7.3 has anything on it as far as diesel clatter and general din. Inside the cabin engine noise is OK with the windows up, overall it is reasonably quiet on the freeway. I have to shut off the engine at any park entrance (a problem if the engine is smoking hot from driving up a mountain) or any drive thru to be able to communicate with someone outside the truck. It detracts from idyllic natural areas to hear the noise with the windows open, definitely detracts from the experience on a otherwise quiet scenic drive with the windows open and knowing that anyone around me has to listen to it too.

Couple years ago I sold my old minivan that had 250,000 miles on it with virtually no engine problems so I got spoiled with engine longevity expectations - I sort of expect the same from a truck but maybe that is wishful thinking.

Gas mileage would be acceptable since I wouldn’t be using it as a daily driver, except that the gas tank on these trucks is pretty small, 29 gallon on my truck, unless they have a larger tank '05.

john101477

Photographer in the Wild
The 6.0 was the biggest mistake of my life to date lol. 60,000 miles, 3 fuel injectors @ $1500 and $2000 for a high pressure oil pump. In 6 months!!!
Never again

Halligan

Adventurer
I had a 2008 F350 with the V-10. The motor is light years better than the 6.0 diesel in terms of reliability. The only downfall is the spark plug design in the 3 valve heads. Ford is very aware and very ignorant of this flaw. They actually redigned the heads in late 2007 to correct this issue. I did a quick search and any V-10 built after 10/9/07 should have the updated head/plug design. My truck was an early 08 (built in April 07). If you want the best possible V-10 scenario I suggest buying a late 2008 or 2009 V-10. That will eliminate any spark plug worries. If your limited to an 05-08 V-10 expect plug issues. FWIW I loved my V-10/Torqueshift combo. I just had to many issues with the rest of the truck so I ditched it (well before I needed spark plugs).

Last edited:

bfdiesel

Explorer
All the Modular Ford engines used the same spark plug and head design. The problem with them spitting plugs gets blamed on the V-10s. They are actually less common to blow plugs than the V-6 or V-8 engines and how often do you hear about them failing? Not very.

Everyone I know who has or had a 5.4 has lost at least one spark plug. That is about three people, but batting a 1000 from where I stand:)

shfd739

Observer
Im in the same boat but looking at an Excursion next year. I like the V10 for the gas simplicity but the diesel for the power and better economy.

I want as new a truck as possible and the 5 speed trans so that leaves with a 6.0 if going diesel.

Our mechanic at work has owned a V10 Ex and currently has a 7.3. He's also had a couple 6.0 trucks along with turning wrenches on all of them at work.

It looks like V10 Ex's all get low teens on the highway for mileage and when towing it goes into single digits. The diesels seem to do high teens empty and low teens when towing. That to me is appealing.

Our mechanic's advice has been to find a low mileage 6.0 with a good history and no current issues; do the EGR delete and Bulletproof oil cooler and enjoy it.

Personally Im still torn. I like the gas motor for quietness and simplicity but the diesel will do better fuel wise and the power.

bjm206

Adventurer
As a production change in 2003 they added more threads to the spark plug ports on the heads. Engines built after the change seem to only have the problem if the plugs are over torqued when replaced in the only examples I have heard of. In the past (2v modular engines no longer in our fleet) I have seen the issue occur frequently enough to notice on engines built before the change date. Sometimes on engines that had never had a plug change. Ford has a TSB (07-21-2) that covers how to do the repair which is a little daunting the first time you do it.

Got Beer

Observer
I went from a 7.3l to a V-10 (not voluntarily, a bone head rolled my crew cab in Mexico). That V-10 was a pig I could not wait to off load. Very poor mileage. Towing a flat bed trailer with two dirt bikes up Hwy 395, I was mocked and heckled by my cousin in his diesel. I could only pull about 40 mph up the grades. In fact, once I sold the V-10, I towed the same load with wife's V-6 Tacoma and went faster up the grade and better gas mileage. My V-10 was a 2001 F250 Supercab with shell. Mileage was closer to 10-11 mpg even without towing dirt bikes.

Ever since losing my 7.3l, I longed for the return of having to turn the motor off to order from the drive-thru window.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier