Arctic and extreme cold weather gear

ober27

Adventurer
I've lived in northern Minnesota for forty+ years. I've worked outside, I've played outside, I ran sled dogs for several years. If you truly want to keep your feet warm, Steger Mukluks are the way to go for extreme cold. They are breathable, they are flexible and they are super light weight. The only problem with mukluks is that they are not waterproof. If the temperature are going to stay cold(below zero)the snow will remain dry and waterproofing won't be an issue. However, should it warm up, or if slush will be present then you will want the Sorrels or the Bunny boots. I would have to agree with my fellow Minnesotan that moose hide choppers with liners(wool liners) are the best things I've found for the hands. And don't forget plenty of moisturizer for your skin. Humidity levels are extremely low in winter, cracking skin can be quite painful.

This is my first time responding to the forum. I look forward to learning more about your latest adventure.

Scott Brady

Founder
Thanks ober27 for the (first) post and thanks to everyone else for the feedback.

Good point on the goggles.

Slowly refining the list. I will share when the list is in final draft form

FishPOET

Adventurer
I've lived in northern Minnesota for forty+ years. I've worked outside, I've played outside, I ran sled dogs for several years. If you truly want to keep your feet warm, Steger Mukluks are the way to go for extreme cold.

They may have a good product but it is a shame that they have terrible fitment issues for those who order over the internet and even worse customer service after the fact.

RusherRacing

Adventurer
Lots of good info in here.

But I do things a little different depending on how active I am outside. Layers are Key! Whatever you are doing don't sweat! Which moving in at out of vehicles can get tricky.
Also, I don't spend big bucks on outwear... My whole outwear getup can be had for the price of a nice shell at a specialty shop.

Here is my normal for going out and pushing snow on my ATV in -0 to -20 Deg F weather (without windchill)

Boots - Bunny Boots or insulated hiking boots and thick wool socks.
- bunny boots are a pain to walk in deep snow with, you can't drive a car with them on and if you did you will sweat. So I typically wear a nice par of Keen etc winter boots that are not as warm but less clumsy ( wouldn't recommend Keen but thats what I have now - probably going to Solomon next. I have heard great things about Mukluks but haven't tried a set yet and I am going to guess it varies from one manufacture to the next.

Underwear - I prefer the tight cotton or wool. Cotton is more comfortable for me.

Outerwear - Now this is wear I differ - I prefer a single peice carhartt overalls with a hooded sweatshirt underneith. Keeps cold air from seeping in at the seems, but make sure to drop the top half as soon as you get indoors or out of the wind to prevent sweating.

Hands- haven't found a solution I really like. Honestly typically wear a par of mechanx gloves. Or a pair of Carhartt gloves not sure the style. Mittens are great but so are pockets! If I don't need my hands I stuff them in a pocket.

I then wear the old fashion thick face mask - and an additional stocking cap over the top and a pair of googles - old oakley's from when I was a ski bum.

can you say what you will be doing outside? Or did i miss that when I skimmed the thread.

RusherRacing

Adventurer
Another thing - not sure if its an option but condition your body to the cold some how, it comes naturally here with the changing of the seasons but I know I can handle the cold a heck of a lot better in Feb. than I can early Dec.

Lost Canadian

Expedition Leader
Scott, your list looks great to me. The only thing I'd change is the boots. If you want warm you won't find a warmer boot than these Sorel's, and I can personally vouch for them. They are rated to -100C. The only other thing you might want to add is a chemical hand warmer to your glove setup when you are using your camera, just place it in your palm under your first layer glove and close your hand around it if your fingers start going numb. Doing so will keep your hands warm and should free up your fingers to allow you to use your camera comfortably with the thick outer glove off for short periods of time.

Last edited:

Repo503

Adventurer
I used to love sorels but since their bankruptcy and acquisition by Columbia, who moved production out of Canada, the quality just isnt what it used to be. A boot that used to last me four or five winters cant make it through one anymore. Its a shame because they fit me well and I love the classic style, but Ive switched the Baffins and havent gone back.

Lost Canadian

Expedition Leader
Wow, I didn't realize that, but to be honest I haven't had problems with mine and they are extremely warm. I just checked my label, and yep, they were made in Vietnam, shame I still thought they were Canadian.

AsltPnr54

Canadian Forces Mukluks and mitts are great deals for extreme cold weather. Worn them jumping out of airplanes at -30 and in the arctic across 180 km snowmachine/komotic rides and hunts and even kept most of my fingers and toes.:) j/k You can pay more for commercial mukluks and mitts but the performance increase will not be significant.

51213_lrg.jpg

IMG_1928.JPG

If you find you need to switch often between a normal insulated boot and mukluk types and will be going in and out of heated vehicles avoid vapor barrier equipment. A pair of good insulated arctic boots for working in can also be worn with proper insulated overboots for all but the most freezing conditions. Neos are the best overboots I've seen.

http://www.overshoe.com/Pages/default.aspx

Sorry but there is some really bad advice here on outdoors equipment for the Arctic - cotton sweatshirts, down boots, really? Just because people do it doesn't mean its a good idea.

762X39

Explorer
I have been up to the Temagami area 3 times since just before Christmas. Weather has varied from dry cold to damp cold (-10C down to -25C) and we are going back up this Sunday. The CF Sorels and Arctic mittens are what I still use. My pants are Swedish Armed Forces wool pants from the 40's and the technical base layer varies from silk to wool to some nice stuff (synthetic of some kind) I purchased at Costco 2 years ago. The traditional stuff is still the best and I hope to get a nice anorak next year to replace my CF arctic parka from 20 years ago. The newer stuff might be warmer in some situations but the old school stuff seems to endure better and behaves better when sparks from the fire hit it.:coffee:

montana.matt

I've used all kinds of heavy winter gear working in the oil fields of western North Dakota. The gear my company currently issues is without a doubt the warmest gear I've ever worn. This is the same gear our parent company issues to their North Slope crews. The parka is very well insulated and has a plastic liner built in to stop the wind. The bibs are warmer than any Carhartt bibs I've ever had. My last rotation out there, the temps got down to well below -50f (with windchill) and I worked a 20 hour shift OUTSIDE with no problems at all. I can't recall the maker off the top of my head and my gear is 600 miles east in No Dak, but could find out if necessary. I do know the company that makes them, also makes them in a non-FR version. As for boots, I will never give up my Baffin's. Best winter boot made, IMHO
391781_1801123885428_1759749256_893673_44809684_n.jpg

math_godin

Observer
Most of my gear are from Eddie Bauer First Ascent. You can't go wrong with their stuff! I don't look around anymore, I just go with them! (I don't work for them nor do they pay me but they should like me very much:)

I don't have this jacket but it look like the perfect down jacket for some winter exploration:
http://www.eddiebauer.com/catalog/product.jsp?ensembleId=43265&&categoryId=27599&categoryName=MENS-FIRST-ASCENT-DOWN&pCategoryId=28476&pCategoryName=MENS-FIRST-ASCENT&gpCategoryId=28475&gpCategoryName=FIRST-ASCENT&ggpCategoryId=1&ggpCategoryName=EB&catPath=~~categoryId=27599~~categoryName=MENS-FIRST-ASCENT-DOWN~~pCategoryId=28476~~pCategoryName=MENS-FIRST-ASCENT~~gpCategoryId=28475~~gpCategoryName=FIRST-ASCENT~~ggpCategoryId=1~~ggpCategoryName=EB&viewAll=n&pg=1&cmPathInfo=null

I am wearing their "Guide" down jacket and love it but it look like they ran out of it on their website.
I also have one of their Downlight Jacket (thinner) http://www.eddiebauer.com/catalog/product.jsp?ensembleId=37542
I have a BC-200 Hard Shell Jacket http://www.eddiebauer.com/catalog/product.jsp?ensembleId=37035&&categoryId=28476&categoryName=MENS-FIRST-ASCENT&pCategoryId=28475&pCategoryName=FIRST-ASCENT&gpCategoryId=1&gpCategoryName=EB&catPath=~~categoryId=28476~~categoryName=MENS-FIRST-ASCENT~~pCategoryId=28475~~pCategoryName=FIRST-ASCENT~~gpCategoryId=1~~gpCategoryName=EB&viewAll=n&pg=1&cmPathInfo=null
Well I guess I won't list every items but I got some more...

As for boots, I have some Salomon.

I know a bit about cold weather...I'm Canadian (from the East coast of New-Brunswick:elkgrin:Their stuff work for me:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste