Arctic and extreme cold weather gear

dunhammrocco

I made the biggest deal of the year when I bought a full suit, the red one, from a guy on another site who accepted my offer of $125 shipped to my door. The suit was worn for one weekend when he went ice fishing last year. Said he realized ice fishing wasn’t for him and just wanted to try to get some money back out of his stuff. The sizes were exactly what I need. I was pumped to say the least on the deal I got. The stuff looks brand new and fits me great. I can’t wait to use it. Now I'm looking for my best ice fishing boots through https://under-the-open-sky.com/best-ice-fishing-boots

Last edited:

adriatikfan

Observer
Yep winter is on it's way, I ended up buying 2 set of Outdoor Research Alti Mitts and I also bought a pair of their PL Base Layer liner Gloves and a pair of their Marino Wool Liner Gloves So that gives me a 4 Layer system, The Alti Mitts are rated to -40*f/-40*c so with the two pairs of Liners they should be good if the Temps dip below that.

Last winter I also did a test drive on some Skee-Tex Marino North Pole Socks because they sent me a free pair to try out and they worked out good so I ordered 6 pairs and Last winter I was needing a light pair of thermal boots just for daily tasks and I saw that Skee-Tex also had a pair of those on their site, I have worn their waterproof fishing boots for 20+ years rated down to -50*c so I thought I'd give their new boots a try, Complete with Vibram Soles I think these are going to be a winner Too and I added another 6 pairs of their North pole Socks to my Order just in case, I was looking to buy another pair of Baffin's to compliment my Baffin Impacts just as a more useable daily Boot or maybe Sorel's but I could not find any Sorel's In the size and style I wanted. And again Skee-Tex came to the rescue.

Just catching up on this thread - I like the look of the Skee-Tex boots, so a couple of questions please if you don't mind.

How is the sizing on these. I have footwear from different manufacturers covering 3 different label sizes , all of which fit me perfectly. Are they roomy or tight for their size? With reasonably thick socks, would you need to go up a size?

How have they held up now you've had them a couple of years.

TIA.

Best Wishes,
David

67cj5

Man On a Mission
Just catching up on this thread - I like the look of the Skee-Tex boots, so a couple of questions please if you don't mind.

How is the sizing on these. I have footwear from different manufacturers covering 3 different label sizes , all of which fit me perfectly. Are they roomy or tight for their size? With reasonably thick socks, would you need to go up a size?

How have they held up now you've had them a couple of years.

TIA.

Best Wishes,
David
If you are talking about their Duck Type/Walking Boots the sizes are spot on but in those I ordered up one size to add extra sock and they were Good,

As for their Snow/Fishing Boots,
Well I am a UK 10 / US 11, Their size 44-46 is equal to a UK 9 and a 1/2 to UK 11 but I'd say its a better fit for a size UK 10 which is perfect for my feet if I am wearing ONE thickish Sock, The next size up is the size 12 - 13 or US sizes 13 to 14 or EU Sizes 47 - 48 This Size is a Great fit for my feet if I wear One Thickish Sock and a Thicker Knee lenth Sock and is a much better Fit than the Size 9.5/11 with just One Sock, it is more Snug and has less Heal Slip, Personally I would Go up one size Bigger, Note, After a lot of use the liners will compress a little allowing you to add another pair of socks, Because My new Larger pair fit the same as my 1998 pair when it comes to adding extra socks so you can change the thickness of the socks to suit the Boots which is great because the options are limitless, and for such a cheap boot they have never let me down. and they are totally waterproof.

I have used Skeetex Boots since 1998 and I still have the first pair, They are 100% waterproof I have used them every winter and when my feet have been cold I have even worn them in the house for a little while,

Like all Snow Boots you need to pull the liners at the end of the day and dry them, £ for £ or $ for $ they are the best money can buy, Rated down to -50*c thy work well, as I posted earlier I have all the top Brand Boots rated down to -100*c/-148*f etc but even with those boots if you don't pull the liners and Dry them your feet will get cold even sitting in a Cold House @ around 13 to 15*c So the key to all Good Cold weather boots is to pull the Liners, NOTE If drying time is a problem I have bought spare Liners for nearly all My Boots so I can swap them out if I am far from home etc, Baring in mind Most boot liners will keep your feet warm for around 24/48hrs as a rule so spare liners are a great Idea, and the Skeetex Liners are really cheap, I have also bought 5 of their Trapper Hats,

Hats

Boots

Boot Liners,

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

adriatikfan

Observer
If you are talking about their Duck Type/Walking Boots the sizes are spot on but in those I ordered up one size to add extra sock and they were Good,

As for their Snow/Fishing Boots,
Well I am a UK 10 / US 11, Their size 44-46 is equal to a UK 9 and a 1/2 to UK 11 but I'd say its a better fit for a size UK 10 which is perfect for my feet if I am wearing ONE thickish Sock, The next size up is the size 12 - 13 or US sizes 13 to 14 or EU Sizes 47 - 48 This Size is a Great fit for my feet if I wear One Thickish Sock and a Thicker Knee lenth Sock and is a much better Fit than the Size 9.5/11 with just One Sock, it is more Snug and has less Heal Slip, Personally I would Go to Bigger Size,
Note, After a lot of use the liners will compress a little allowing you to add another pair of socks, Because My new Larger pair fit the same as my 1998 pair when it comes to adding extra socks so you can change the thickness of the socks to suit the Boots which is great because the options are limitless, and for such a cheap boot they have never let me down. and they are totally waterproof.

Hats

Boots

Boot Liners,

Hope that helps.

Thank you so much for the detail in your reply - that helps a great deal to narrow things down for me.

Thank you also for such a speedy reponse - it is very much appreciated.

Best Wishes,
David

67cj5

Man On a Mission
Thank you so much for the detail in your reply - that helps a great deal to narrow things down for me.

Thank you also for such a speedy reponse - it is very much appreciated.

Best Wishes,
David
Your Welcome, I am wearing my old pair of Skeetex Boots I posted in that link and the Date molded in to the Sole of them says 12/98 which means I bought them late December 1998 / January 1999 so they have lasted well,

When it comes to cleaning the Liners, I turn them inside out and brush the wool type Pile and then put them in the in the washing machine @ around 40*c and they come out nice and fresh and I leave them to Air Dry for 3 or 4 days and then put them in the right way and put them back in the boots, The first set of liners lasted a good 10 years with proper care,

Last edited:

adriatikfan

Observer
Your Welcome, I am wearing my old pair of Skeetex Boots I posted in that link and the Date molded in to the Sole of them says 12/98 which means I bought them late December 1998 / January 1999 so they have lasted well,

Well, after 20 years, I think it's fair to say they have given you both excellent service and return on your initial outlay.

David

67cj5

Man On a Mission
Also If your are going to wear them in Ice and Snow I also have a set of flexible Stainless Crampons that I bought for my walking boots and they fit the Skeetex boots perfectly for that extra grip On Ice.

67cj5

Man On a Mission
Well, after 20 years, I think it's fair to say they have given you both excellent service and return on your initial outlay.

David
Back when I bought them they were £ 39.95 so thats around £2.00 per years, I would not use them for digging holes with a spade in hard ground but working in the Snow or playing with the Kids etc they have done well and still look like New and I have worn them in temps of -14 and below and the key to keeping your feet warm is to wash the liners every once in a while and fluffing up the pile and of coarse Air drying the liners when you have worn them for more than a few hours,

I have a set of Baffin Titans but they are over kill and the tight liners tend to make your feet cold due to the lack of blood flow and I bought them a size bigger as well and the down side is the foot print of the Baffins are Huge at 5.5" wide and 14" Long, The Skeetex boots on the other hand are much less bulky and a lot lighter not to mention less than a 3rd of the Cost,

D

Deleted member 9101

I camped out (in a metal trailer) on the North Slope and Beaufort Sea (300 miles north of the Arctic Circle) for 6 months one winter some time ago. 40-60 below pretty much every day. The only warm boots that worked were the air-bladder Army surplus rubber type, we used to call them "bunny boots" because they were white and made your feet look huge. But they would keep your feet warm enough no matter what the temperature. Any Army surplus store in Anchorage has them (or used to).

I used the black version of those boots in S.Korea.... They were called "Mickey Mouse" boots. You needed thick socks to help with absorbing sweat.

Trail Talk

You needed thick socks to help with absorbing sweat.

Sweat is definitely the enemy in extreme cold weather. I've become a great fan of vapour barrier clothing for strenuous activities in very cold weather. It allows me to wear at least one less layer and keeps the outer clothing from wetting out. Once the boots are wet they become dangerous!

This picture was taken last winter at -43C (-45 F), and I wasn't even the only fool out there ;-) Wearing complete vapour barrier next to skin, another layer of thermal wear, and outer layer. Not showing are outer mitts and sunglasses with nose protector.
Cold day in Edmonton -43 copy.JPG

adriatikfan

Observer
The part of the UK where I live sees
Sweat is definitely the enemy in extreme cold weather. I've become a great fan of vapour barrier clothing for strenuous activities in very cold weather. It allows me to wear at least one less layer and keeps the outer clothing from wetting out. Once the boots are wet they become dangerous!

This picture was taken last winter at -43C (-45 F), and I wasn't even the only fool out there ;-) Wearing complete vapour barrier next to skin, another layer of thermal wear, and outer layer. Not showing are outer mitts and sunglasses with nose protector.
View attachment 630634
The part of the UK where I live sees very little snow, let alone the kind of temperatures you're describing so I'm intrigued by how you incorporate 'Vapour Barrier Clothing' into your kit, as it's not something I've really researched much.

Has it been a 'game-changer' for you in terms of how many layers you need and for your overall comfort levels when active?

Best Wishes,
David

Trail Talk

Has it been a 'game-changer' for you in terms of how many layers you need and for your overall comfort levels when active?

Hi David, I ran into lots of Brits in the Himalayas so there must be a fondness for cold in the genes. For me the key to comfort in cold weather is moisture management, so I follow two basic strategies. In moderately cold conditions, its ventilation over insulation. Seems counter-intuitive but lots of insulation just traps moisture and becomes ineffective, so loose clothing with air circulation keeps things dryer, and warmer, as long as you are active and generating body heat. When stopped, insulating layers go on until active again.

Very cold temps require a different strategy as hypothermia and even frostbite are real risks with the ventilation approach. This is where the vapour barrier really works to stop the sweat from wetting out insulating layers. Purists will wear the vapour barrier next to skin but I don't like the feeling so on outings of more than one day I'll wear a thin base layer of wool, which is remarkable for its "warm when wet" properties.

There is a third approach to moisture management, namely, avoid sweating! If one doesn't generate heat, they will not sweat. I find this surprisingly hard to accomplish, though, while still enjoying myself ;).

Denali.jpg

adriatikfan

Observer
Hi David, I ran into lots of Brits in the Himalayas so there must be a fondness for cold in the genes. For me the key to comfort in cold weather is moisture management, so I follow two basic strategies. In moderately cold conditions, its ventilation over insulation. Seems counter-intuitive but lots of insulation just traps moisture and becomes ineffective, so loose clothing with air circulation keeps things dryer, and warmer, as long as you are active and generating body heat. When stopped, insulating layers go on until active again.

Very cold temps require a different strategy as hypothermia and even frostbite are real risks with the ventilation approach. This is where the vapour barrier really works to stop the sweat from wetting out insulating layers. Purists will wear the vapour barrier next to skin but I don't like the feeling so on outings of more than one day I'll wear a thin base layer of wool, which is remarkable for its "warm when wet" properties.

There is a third approach to moisture management, namely, avoid sweating! If one doesn't generate heat, they will not sweat. I find this surprisingly hard to accomplish, though, while still enjoying myself ;).

View attachment 630814

Thankyou.

The first approach you describe is what I'm familiar with and try to utilise - although not at your level of activity judging by the photos!

The second approach is new to me, basically because we don't experience that level of 'coldness' and I haven't ever been in a location where I needed that method of protection. But ... it's an interesting topic to research whilst living under our current restrictions.

Best Wishes,
David

67cj5

Man On a Mission
Thankyou.

The first approach you describe is what I'm familiar with and try to utilise - although not at your level of activity judging by the photos!

The second approach is new to me, basically because we don't experience that level of 'coldness' and I haven't ever been in a location where I needed that method of protection. But ... it's an interesting topic to research whilst living under our current restrictions.

Best Wishes,
David
First off you need to match your Clothing to the Activity you are doing, Treking or Climbing the clothing needed are worlds apart from what you would need when compared to living in The Arctic regions, A big Parka is just too big for treking or climbing as he said when camped you have to add Insulation layers like big Down Jackets or a even better a Big Parka, Vapour barriers are only good for when high energy is being used otherwise they are no good for living and working in Cold conditions. As pointed out once stopped you have to layer up.

Not many realize this but the UK is one of the Cold Death capitals of the world because you can get all 4 seasons in one day, People go out dressed for an Autumn day and they stand on a windy cold Train platform and they start to shiver and that causes the blood to thicken and they carry on with their day and on the way home at night the temperature drop and they shiver again and the thicken blood clots and causes a heart attack and they never make the trip ever again, This happens every year to people in the UK,

The best guidelines to follow are in this Video, are in this video below, And Parka's like the N3B and mitts like the N4B or any good quality Mitts with a removeable liner worn with a thin liner Glove will save your hands regardless of the temperature or wind chill, Some of the Parka's in this Video are the early M51 Fishtail Parka's and some are N3B's made by several companies in the US up until 2009, Alpha Industries are one of the last companies still making them which you can still buy from Military Kit .Com in the UK and they are the cheapest retailer for them in the UK and although they are rated down to around -30*c / -20*f +/- when worn with the right clothing will keep you safe down to -50*c and below,

This Video will give you the best info all of which still applies today,

Hope that helps.

adriatikfan

Observer
First off you need to match your Clothing to the Activity you are doing,

Not many realize this but the UK is one of the Cold Death capitals of the world because you can get all 4 seasons in one day, People go out dressed for an Autumn day and they stand on a windy cold Train platform and they start to shiver and that causes the blood to thicken and they carry on with their day and on the way home at night the temperature drop and they shiver again and the thicken blood clots and causes a heart attack and they never make the trip ever again, This happens every year to people in the UK,

The best guidelines to follow are in this Video, are in this video below, And Parka's like the N3B and mitts like the N4B or any good quality Mitts with a removeable liner worn with a thin liner Glove will save your hands regardless of the temperature or wind chill, Some of the Parka's in this Video are the early M51 Fishtail Parka's and some are N3B's made by several companies in the US up until 2009, Alpha Industries are one of the last companies still making them which you can still buy from Military Kit .Com in the UK and they are the cheapest retailer for them in the UK and although they are rated down to around -30*c / -20*f +/- when worn with the right clothing will keep you safe down to -50*c and below,

This Video will give you the best info all of which still applies today,

Hope that helps.

It helps considerably, thankyou.

Your comments above about ' ... Cold Death ...' are very true.

Ironically, earlier today, for the first time in about 8 or 9 months, I got my layers wrong when out for an hour's dog-walk.

Maybe I wasn't concentrating before I went out, but we normally do a very brisk hour's walk. I usually plan to start off just the right side of being cold/uncomfortable and by 20 minutes in have reached the level of comfort where I know when I need to vent etc., to stay comfortable at the pace we go at until I get home.

Today, I misjudged it . A beginner's mistake - I had the wrong combination of layers/outer shell, the wind was sharper than I was anticipating and I couldn't get my comfort level up. Even though I was walking in a fairly populated area, had I fallen and injured myself, I could easily have been 10 -15 minutes without being found and at the temperature and with the almost sleet and wind-chill we had I could have been in trouble.

The Alpha Parka link looks interesting - again thankyou. What do you combine it with?

Best Wishes,
David

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94