Arctic and extreme cold weather gear

My wife's hands get cold easy and never seem to warm up no matter what she is wearing. I recently purchased a pair of these (S2 gloves) sold through Cabela's. Completely solved her problem. My only complaint is that the charger is a little finicky.

Icebreaker (NZ merino) rocks my world for underlayers. Usually use Pata's R series for midlayers and top off with Arc'teryx layers. Sock and glove liners help, and glove liners are a lifesaver when I need to pop of the heavy gloves to use camera gear but still need a bit of protection. Boots, hat and gloves are key... it's the extremities that can really get you into trouble!

trailrunner

Observer
It all depends on you activity level. In my experience, the technical companies like Arcteryx claim to be exceptionally warm for no weight, but there really seems to be no replacement for bulk. I live in Edmonton, Alberta, and in my experience if you want durable clothing to stay warm in nothing beats work clothing like MontanaMatt mentioned. Technical gear is great for extreme high activity like skiing or mountaineering, but for most usage, especially where durability is an issue, work clothing is best. As a side note, I own an Arteryx jacket and several north face pieces, so I have some experience with the high end gear.

Edit: the high performance base layers are great though and well worth the money.

67cj5

Man On a Mission
I know this an old thread but has anyone bought any new gear to cope with the bad weather this winter ?

67cj5

Man On a Mission
Yeah I tried to order some of their gear but at the time they did not export, So I went with Canada Goose and Baffin because they are the most trusted at the North and South Poles, along with some Gloves and Mitts from Outdoor Research.

67cj5

Man On a Mission
Yep winter is on it's way, I ended up buying 2 set of Outdoor Research Alti Mitts and I also bought a pair of their PL Base Layer liner Gloves and a pair of their Marino Wool Liner Gloves So that gives me a 4 Layer system, The Alti Mitts are rated to -40*f/-40*c so with the two pairs of Liners they should be good if the Temps dip below that.

Last winter I also did a test drive on some Skee-Tex Marino North Pole Socks because they sent me a free pair to try out and they worked out good so I ordered 6 pairs and Last winter I was needing a light pair of thermal boots just for daily tasks and I saw that Skee-Tex also had a pair of those on their site, I have worn their waterproof fishing boots for 20+ years rated down to -50*c so I thought I'd give their new boots a try, Complete with Vibram Soles I think these are going to be a winner Too and I added another 6 pairs of their North pole Socks to my Order just in case, I was looking to buy another pair of Baffin's to compliment my Baffin Impacts just as a more useable daily Boot or maybe Sorel's but I could not find any Sorel's In the size and style I wanted. And again Skee-Tex came to the rescue.

Last edited:

crazysccrmd

Observer
Baffin Impacts and vapor barrier/bunny boots are my go to when it’s below -30°F. VBs are better for situations that don’t require a lot of walking or moving, they’re warm but awkward, like clown shoes. Outdoor Research firebrand and Alti mittens with light under gloves to let me grab stuff without getting contact frostbite. Gortex outer layers with multiple layers underneath to allow for easy heat control.

67cj5

Man On a Mission
Since I last posted in this thread, I have bought a few more pairs of boots just to try out, I already had a pair of Baffin Impacts rated down to -100*c / -148*f so in case it gets slushy I also ordered a pair of Baffin Titan wellington boots also rated for -100*c / -148*c, And I also ordered a pair of Baffin Snow Monster boots rated at -73.3*c / -100*f and a pair of Baffin Crossfire's rated to -40*c / -40*f. And I also have a pair of Baffin Trappers.

I had always wanted a pair of Sorel Glacier XT's which are rated down to -73.3*c / -100*f ( Not -100*c ) as posted earlier in this thread, I got a great deal from Sorel in the US so I ordered a pair and when they arrived I was really impressed with how warm and comfortable they are, So I ordered another pair just for luck, and I ordered spare liners for each pair, These boots are very flexible yet tough at the same time, The liners are similar to the Baffin liners except Sorel have the addition of Felt, Temperature wise I think they can hold their own with any boot on the planet, The Baffin's are Super high Tech and if a persons feet get cold in them then they must be dead, All of the Baffin's listed are a master class In Boots, But as my "Go To" Boots the Sorel Glacier XT's are the Boots that I always want to wear,

I also bought 2 pairs of Sorel Conquests as everyday winter boots which are rated down to -40*c / -40*f, The Sorel Conquests are great if you are on the move or have to drive a vehicle because unlike all the others I have listed these are a great balance between form and function Plus I can also fit my Snow Chains on them if the ground is Icy Again I was so impressed with the first pair on arrival that I ordered another pair the next day,

Regardless of where they are made the Sorel's and the Baffin's are incredible boots and in all fairness to both brands I just can't make up my mind as to which brand is better, But for extreme cold I would pick the Sorel Glacier XT's or maybe the Baffin Impacts and if it was real cold and there was slush on the ground or for Ice Fishing then I would pick the Baffin Titan's, And for everyday wear I would pick the Sorel Conquest's and if I was not driving then I would pick the Baffin Crossfire's or the Baffin Snow Monster's,

I would not bother with the Sorel Caribou range although I did buy a pair of Sorel Caribou XT's which are like a mini version of the Glacier XT's but are rated to -40*c / -40*c unlike the others in the Caribou range which are rated to around -25*c,

Out of all these boots the only ones "Made in Canada" Are the Baffin Titans and the Baffin Trappers, But to be honest the build quality of all the built overseas boots are just as good or better so regardless of the brand or the models these are seriously good Boot's.

I also added another pair of Mitts to my Collection, I bought a Pair of the electronically heated Outdoor Research Lucent Alti Heat mitts which at first I was not sure about although the are top quality I was not sure how I feel about this new Tech and then I workout that the best use for these Mitts would be S.A.R. or if you had to do a task like remove your gloves etc then the Lucent heated mitts are a great way to warm up your hands where as normal gloves or mitts would take too long to build up the heat needed. and I also bought a pair of Outdoor Research Alti Gloves,

After many years Still the best Mitts on the planet are the Outdoor Research Alti Mitts bar none, Rated to -40*c / -40*f, but I have known Alti Mitts to keep peoples hands warm in-60*c and below,

I would Rate these Gloves and Mitts as being the best, The Alti Mitts are number 1, and if you had to use your fingers more then I would pick the Alti Gloves which are rated to -30*c / -22*f,

The Outdoor Research Lucent Alti Heat Mitts are only Rated down to -26*c / -15*f which does not sound like much but the added bonus of being heated makes them good for when temp drops down in the -30's and below, I tried them out in winter before the lockdown in below freezing temps around town etc and my hands felt as if they were still indoors, In fact my hands were warmer outside wearing the mitts than they were without them indoors and that was using the medium setting,

On High the batteries last 2.5 hours, On medium they last for 5 hours and On Low they last for 8 Hours, As a stand alone Mitt/Glove I see the Alti Heat Mitts as the Ideal emergency Mitts when you have done something silly like let your hands get too cold or you are part of a S.A.R. Team where you go to the Aid of Others.

My "Go To" Mitts are my Alti Mitts and for a good all rounder then The Alti Gloves are the Doggie's DooDads,

When it comes to Parka's then Nothing beats the Canada Goose Snow Mantra, back in 2012 I bought their Military / LE version called the Peacekeeper It is the same coat as the Snow Mantra but it has Duck Down filling and it is a Bear of a Coat and rated to -70* and below, I bought mine at a discount from a closing down sale but the Peacekeeper/ Snow Mantra is a lot cheaper than the commercial Vesion,

I ordered an XL because all my other Parka's are an XL but it came up about 2" bigger to allow for MiL/LE Uniforms etc, Since I bought it the weather has never dropped low enough to need to wear it, My favourite Parka is One that Alpha made for about 4 years and it is a heavy Duty version of the N-3b called The Extreme Cold Weather Parka "ALASKA". The Word ALASKA being the key to the difference, This Parka is Fire hose Waterproof and the Shell is the heaviest I have ever seen on any Parka, The Classic Snorkel Hood copied by all the top brands has never been bettered and originally rated to -50*c+, I phoned Alpha in the US and Alpha Rates all their Parka's down to -20*f / -28,8, That might not sound like much but when you add to that the layering of your other cloths then they will keep you warm to below -50* C/F, My view is that Alpha was one of the Original markers of the N-3b as well as about 8 other companies who were contracted to make the N-3b's for the Military and to this date they are still the choice of millions across the planet, Because mine is so H/D it makes it a bit OTT to drive wearing it so I have just ordered 2 more Alpha N-3b's made out of the Original Flight Nylon

The worst parka I have ever bought is my North Face Mcmurdo Parka, although it fits fine the Sleeves are too narrow and the Arm holes are to small which makes it uncomfortable for layering, But the thing I hate most about it is the Hood, where as most Parka's have a Wire in the hood or something to stiffen the hood the TNF Mcmurdo has nothing and it only has about 5 poppers/press studs to hold the Ruff in place and when you tighten the hood cords gaps appear between the hood and the ruff and when the wind is coming from behind or the sides it howls through the gaps it freezes your eyes, And if the wind is coming from the front or the sides the Ruff will beat you to death hitting you in the eyes many times per minute which gets really painful after a few seconds For over 6 years I tried to get TNF to make the Ruff fit more like Alpha have done, I even got the Mrs to Sew on another 5 Poppers to stop the ruff from letting the Air rush through but even with twice the amount of fixings it was still junk, but the only change they made to the Mcmurdo parka was to give it a Hole where you could pass the wire from your Ipod headphones through and with that it became the Mcmurdo II, The coat it's self is very warm being 550 Goose Down but how the Sleeves fit when it should of had Raglan Sleeves and all of the other issues makes the North Face Mcmurdo Parka the worst parka money can buy,

Anyways hope that helps.

Last edited:

67cj5

Man On a Mission
For you Guys/Gals in the US or Canada,

If you want some really good Cold Weather Mitts and an excellent price take a Look at a pair of the US Military Flyers Mitts known as the N-4B which are the mitts that were made to go with the N3B Military Parka's,

The N4B's come up big, I wear a Large in All other Mitts including Outdoor Research Alti Mitts and with a Size MEDIUM in the N4B's they are big enough and have Alpaca Wool on the backs of them and 100% Wool Liners, with the Size Medium there is enough room inside to wear/Add a pair of Wool and Thinsulate Gloves as a Liner which increases the warmth and comfort and no doubt Boosts their Lower Temp Rating, They are Robust and over engineered as with all Military gear but for $25.00 USD you can have a Mega Serious pair of Mitts that have been tried and tested at the North and South Poles In the worst possible conditions

I Bought 2 Brand New Pair from the America and they are Ideal for a rough life out in the Bush, So If this sounds like what you've been looking for Grab your self a couple of pairs, You won't get on the Cover of Vogue Magazine or stun the world on the Cat Walk but you will never get Frost Bite and don't forget to grab a couple of pairs of cheap wool or acrylic thinsulate lined gloves as liners and you will be good to go, Note that if your hands are closer to an XL buy the Large size, But if you are a Medium to a Normal Large fitment then buy the Mediums Ok,

Enjoy,

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=u...UHTcAKHZPOBsAQ_AUoAnoECAwQBA&biw=1366&bih=559

Last edited:

crazysccrmd

Observer
For you Guys/Gals in the US or Canada,

If you want some really good Cold Weather Mitts and an excellent price take a Look at a pair of the US Military Flyers Mitts known as the N-4B which are the mitts that were made to go with the N3B Military Parka's,

The N4B's come up big, I wear a Large in All other Mitts including Outdoor Research Alti Mitts and with a Size MEDIUM in the N4B's they are big enough and have Alpaca Wool on the backs of them and 100% Wool Liners, with the Size Medium there is enough room inside to wear/Add a pair of Wool and Thinsulate Gloves as a Liner which increases the warmth and comfort and no doubt Boosts their Lower Temp Rating, They are Robust and over engineered as with all Military gear but for $25.00 USD you can have a Mega Serious pair of Mitts that have been tried and tested at the North and South Poles It the worst possible conditions

I Bought 2 Brand New Pair from the America and they are Ideal for a rough life out in the Bush, So If this sounds like what you've been looking for Grab your self a couple of pairs, You won't get on the Cover of Vogue Magazine or stun the world on the Cat Walk but you will never get Frost Bite and don't forget to grab a couple of pairs of cheap wool or acrylic thinsulate lined gloves as liners and you will be good to go, Note that if your hands are closer to an XL buy the Large size, But if you are a Medium to a Normal Large fitment then buy the Mediums Ok,

Enjoy,

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=u...UHTcAKHZPOBsAQ_AUoAnoECAwQBA&biw=1366&bih=559

The newer ones have the synthetic liner (similar to the field jacket liner material) which work really well to slip over your feet if they get cold in your sleeping bag. The mits are great if you can get by with lobster clawing everything but are best used with a warm/waterproof liner glove do you can easily pull your hand out to do work.

67cj5

Man On a Mission
The newer ones have the synthetic liner (similar to the field jacket liner material) which work really well to slip over your feet if they get cold in your sleeping bag. The mits are great if you can get by with lobster clawing everything but are best used with a warm/waterproof liner glove do you can easily pull your hand out to do work.
I never saw the Synthetic versions until afterwards but the wool versions are an excellent buy, I would also like to get a pair of the OR Firebrand Mitts which are the Military version of the Outdoor Research Alti Mitts which come in Coyote and Multicam which is pretty cool, But at $330.00 USD is a bit steep for my likeing,

67cj5

Man On a Mission
I have bought a bunch from this small company out of Duluth Minnesota. Very good quality.

Yeah they look real nice but the Cost is a killer, I might see if I can order a pair to try out,

It's not cold here yet so I improvized and grabbed hold of the freezer element in a Deep Freeze for 5 minutes and then waited to see if the cold came through them and I didn't even notice it was cold at a Temp of -25* / -30*c, So Hanging on to cold metal at that Temp have zero effect when used with a Acrylic/Wool/Thinsulate $5.00 Glove, With the factory liner and a normal wool glove the Military rate them down to -60*f or -51*c so with the thinsulate liner should be enough to go down to -70 to -75*f,

The thing I like about them is the Gauntlets fit Over the Sleeves of the Alpha Parka's and I also have my Heavy Duty Alpha Parka which is a lot stiffer than the Flight Nylon versions and it's good to have the Mitts that were made to fit the Sleeves, Other Mitts don't work unless they are the shorter Ski Type Gloves or Mitts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste