Team Equipt's "Central America Expedition"

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
FYI, a great option for agressive tires for the muddy jungle sections yet still keeping the BFGs is tire chains. Will only cost $300-400 for a good set. A bit heavy and bulky to carry but allows you to use the BFGs for most of the trip which is a very good all around tire. Then chain up for the jungle off-roading. All the guys in the Panama 4x4 club run chains even if they have boggers. Believe it or not the chains will work excellent in the mud.

benedmonson

Disabled Adventurer
FYI, a great option for agressive tires for the muddy jungle sections yet still keeping the BFGs is tire chains. Will only cost $300-400 for a good set. A bit heavy and bulky to carry but allows you to use the BFGs for most of the trip which is a very good all around tire. Then chain up for the jungle off-roading. All the guys in the Panama 4x4 club run chains even if they have boggers. Believe it or not the chains will work excellent in the mud.

Thanks for the tire chain tip! I've never used them. What brands to look at? Also thanks for your previous post that was full of info. My All Terrains have 41K on them so a little life left in them and the chains could be perfect!

NoLimitX

Sponsors
Chains still clot in the thick clay...they will help a bit, the lockers will go along way as well. Don't worry though those photos of the Defenders pulling out the LC's will be priceless!

Equipt

Supporting Sponsor Presenting Sponsor of Overland
Chains still clot in the thick clay...they will help a bit, the lockers will go along way as well. Don't worry though those photos of the Defenders pulling out the LC's will be priceless!

We'll deny it James. We'll just tell folks we were using our push rope prototype.

endo

PRIMITIVEROAD
I agree, thick clay will clog them just like AT's, no substitute for lockers and good mud tires. but in a pinch they are better than nothing, plus they are fun to put on and take off (wink) It will be just like the VT rally, Ben can give you some pointers Paul.

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
My buddy David with chains on his SOA FJ60....

Another one, here you can see tires are clogged but still helping a bit...

I am not famliar with Rud but any old heavy duty set of chains should work. There is a bunch more videos on youtube of the Panama 4x4 Club and them using chains....

cheers

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
And a good picture of Davids FJ60 with the chains on...

attachment.php

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Pablo, remind me what size tires you running. I have some 33" and 35" tire chains here your welcome to drag along for the ride, LMK

Equipt

Supporting Sponsor Presenting Sponsor of Overland
Ben can give you some pointers Paul.

I do believe there will be a learning curve. The south west landscape doesn't offer much opportunity for mud like there is back east or down south. I am looking forward to the experience

Kurt, I might take you up on that. I have a full set of chains, but I believe they are for 35's or 315's. Not sure if they will adjust down. If not, I will give you a buzz.

Cheers,

upcountry

Explorer
Sounds like a great trip - I am EXTREMELY jealous.

Suggestions:

1) Dont bring too much gear - less is more in Central America. You make yourself a target by showing off your "stuff". I have been guilty of this but over time learned to trravel with a daypack, a sheet, and two changes of clothes and some basic food items like canned tuna and sardines.

2) Make sure you park the truck and get out on foot and take a few buses. The culture is rich and your not going to expereicne it very well from behind a window.

3) Don't just hang out with others like you, be outgoing and meet some locals. Getting out of the truck will help you accomplish this. Instead of staying at a hostel or hotel, ask around in town for a place to stay - store owners or clerks are a good place to ask. Someones backyard is a great option when you get to meet their family and friends too.

4)If you dont speak spanish, learn, or focus the trip on Beleize where they speak a dialect of english (Beleize was a British colony untill 1981 when it gained solidarity).

5)You dont need a heavily modified vehicle to get around and get into the backcountry - during my 3 years in the Peace Corps in Panama all we had were state department 80 series and 100 series cruisers and they were stock with MTs. They got stuck sometimes but that is part of it. Hardly any of the locals have modified vehicles and they can get into most places where the dirt tracks go.

6) Watch out for malaria, botflies, aemeboic dissentary, etc..... May want to bring some cloroquine with you to take to avoid Malaria. We saw lots of Malaria in Panama while we were there, Beleize has a history of it too.

7) Dont worry too much about safety and security. It is what it is. In my time down there I only have three really bad experiences which are paert of the adventure. I have only been robbed once. With the police, just make sure you smile and stay up-beat, dont argue but dont agree. I had diplomatic immunity in Panama so cant speak to that there, they simple let you go after showing them your "Funcion Administrativa" ID card from the State Department. Haha.

8) If you go to Beleize, I strongly suggest reading this book to get an idea of what the Country is all about, problems it has overcome, and the cultures within: The Making of Belize: Globalization in the Margins by Anne Sutherland.

As a qualifier I have spent several years in Panama, almost a year in Beleize, and several months in Costa Rica between 1999-2003.

Enjoy. You are NOT going to want to come back.

Last edited:

benedmonson

Disabled Adventurer
Sounds like a great trip - I am EXTREMELY jealous.

Suggestions:

1) Dont bring too much gear - less is more in Central America. You make yourself a target by showing off your "stuff". I have been guilty of this but over time learned to trravel with a daypack, a sheet, and two changes of clothes and some basic food items like canned tuna and sardines.

2) Make sure you park the truck and get out on foot and take a few buses. The culture is rich and your not going to expereicne it very well from behind a window.

3) Don't just hang out with others like you, be outgoing and meet some locals. Getting out of the truck will help you accomplish this. Instead of staying at a hostel or hotel, ask around in town for a place to stay - store owners or clerks are a good place to ask. Someones backyard is a great option when you get to meet their family and friends too.

4)If you dont speak spanish, learn, or focus the trip on Beleize where they speak a dialect of english (Beleize was a British colony untill 1981 when it gained solidarity).

5)You dont need a heavily modified vehicle to get around and get into the backcountry - during my 3 years in the Peace Corps in Panama all we had were state department 80 series and 100 series cruisers and they were stock with MTs. They got stuck sometimes but that is part of it. Hardly any of the locals have modified vehicles and they can get into most places where the dirt tracks go.

6) Watch out for malaria, botflies, aemeboic dissentary, etc..... May want to bring some cloroquine with you to take to avoid Malaria. We saw lots of Malaria in Panama while we were there, Beleize has a history of it too.

7) Dont worry too much about safety and security. It is what it is. In my time down there I only have three really bad experiences which are paert of the adventure. I have only been robbed once. With the police, just make sure you smile and stay up-beat, dont argue but dont agree. I had diplomatic immunity in Panama so cant speak to that there, they simple let you go after showing them your "Funcion Administrativa" ID card from the State Department. Haha.

8) If you go to Beleize, I strongly suggest reading this book to get an idea of what the Country is all about, problems it has overcome, and the cultures within: The Making of Belize: Globalization in the Margins by Anne Sutherland.

As a qualifier I have spent several years in Panama, almost a year in Beleize, and several months in Costa Rica between 1999-2003.

Enjoy. You are NOT going to want to come back.

Wow! Thank you for sharing your advice here with us and others. Alway nice to have first hand knowledge from someone who lived or lives there. I have traveled down there quite a bit, but am looking for much needed advice since this time I'm taking the wife and dog for a longer period.

The one thing we are looking heavily into is the proper papers needed to take our dog across the Belize and Guatemala borders. This is proving to be a small problem as Guatemala looks as if they take a long time to approve things once you have jumped through many loop holes to get your pet in legally.

upcountry

Explorer
Hope I dont come across as telling you how it is or as arrogant. I have never driven there like you (maybe) have/are? I am sure you are more than capable and already practice the suggestions I listed, pretty much traveler 101.

I just love Central America and the culture. I'll be quiet and just jealously read posts and updates from your trip while I sit here at work!

Ruined Adventures

Brenton Cooper
Ben, sounds like you have a great trip planned. It will be fun to read the report afterwards!
Make sure you have all the right documnets for your dogs. USDA APHIS form is the most important. It takes some time to get it back from the USDA so do not slack on this till the last minute.
RMP&O, how long would you expect the turnaround time to be for the USDA APHIS?

trailsurfer

Explorer
Paul and Ben,

I just got back from riding my motorcycle from Durango, CO to Panama. I rode down through Baja and then followed the Pacific coast the all the way down. It sounds like you all are going down the Caribbean side, but if you would like any info, please let me know.

Mike

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke