Prepping a camel trophy defender 110 for around the world...

The Rover Shop

Explorer
The camel trophy britax mirrors are unobtainable, since the tubing is made of steel tubing they tend to rust, especially where the clmp is and then this happens..
110-camel-001-L.jpg
tried to find stainless tubing to remake them but couldn't find any so i found the correct diameter aluminum rod...duplicated the original ros as best as possible..
110-camel-005-L.jpg
took the ends and pounded it down with a hammer and vice until I got the thickness I wanted and drilled the holes..took a large socket and got the curves pretty close...
110-camel-006-L.jpg
finished product looks pretty good...will scuff the aluminum and give it that dull finish and leave it like that..
110-camel-009-L.jpg

110-camel-010-L.jpg

The Rover Shop

Explorer
Plan on taking this truck through a variety of climates and weather conditions...they say one of the biggest threats to your expensive winch cord is uv light..I have to figure snow, salt and road grime ain't gonna help it much so I had future wifey make a cover for our winch...
110-camel-008-L.jpg
just undo the snaps and off she comes...

The Rover Shop

Explorer
Started working on the trailer that we will be towing behind us with our 2 motorcycles in it...I found a good condition 1967 military
m101 trailer,
cars-and-bikes-for-sale-442-L.jpg
had the axle modified with land rover hubs installed to take the same wheels as the truck and also eliminated all the extra heavy hand brake system, eliminated all but the front hoop and modified the rear one so I can still have front and rear hoops to have a tarp covering the whole trailer during extended storage times or snowing,
110-camel-016-L.jpg
will be rewiring the trailer to suit the european wiring configuration and installing rear LED lights..
110-camel-017-L.jpg
will be replacing the pintle hook system to a roll-n-lock trailer hitch system..

Nonimouse

Cynical old bastard
Be careful with the trailer legalities - France is very tough at the moment

Also be aware that you will need a hand brake and brakes if the trailer is over 750kg loaded

ReconH3

Heavy Duty Adventurer
Be careful with the trailer legalities - France is very tough at the moment

Also be aware that you will need a hand brake and brakes if the trailer is over 750kg loaded

What he said. Just to add to this. In most of Europe you don't need a special license if the trailer is under 750kgs loaded. With those, the trailer must have the same license plate as the towing vehicle. Anything more than 750 and you have to have a special license, and the trailer must have it's own license plate as well as the towing vehicle's plate.

"Ex Umbris Venimus"

Sent from my iPhone

The Rover Shop

Explorer
Thanks for that guys.. I had no idea... Sent me into a panic mode there for a minute.. The two bikes combined weight will be no more than 400 lbs including luggage etc so I can't imagine the trailer being anything more than 300 lbs... Will check trailer weight placard later... Google search says about 300 lbs.. I have lightened it considerably with the elimination of military wheels and brakes and top bows.. May have to load it up and have it weighed before I do too much more...

ReconH3

Heavy Duty Adventurer
One other thing to consider. Since you have a foreign car, with foreign registration and drivers license, you may not have to comply. I'll give you an example. I had a US vehicle with US tags. No front license plate. In Europe front plates are mandatory. I would get stopped, but since I was only driving through, and that is how my vehicle was supposed to be in my home state, then they let me go. I also had larger tires and dark tint. Both not allowed, but since I was only driving through, and had no plans on registering vehicle there, then they just said to move on.

"Ex Umbris Venimus"

Sent from my iPhone

Yeah, that M101A is not a light trailer and I couldn't imagine dragging that behind your 110 across the globe! I had one for a few months and ditched it due to the weight and width.

The Rover Shop

Explorer
Just been looking through all the French laws and everything there pertains to towing with a French registered vehicle... Can't imagine being necessary to comply to every different country's laws regulations when traveling through... Will have to do some more checking...Yes, I have been concerned with the weight and hassle bit also but I really really really want to just leave the truck and go off on motorcycles through Europe for a couple of weeks every now and then.." I think I have already decided to have an upgraded engine put in when I get to England and maybe even a galvanised chassis and will probably take off for a couple of days on the bikes while that is being done.... I am thinking that the lower cost and ease of traveling by bikes will offset the hassles.. I intend to put the trailer and bikes in storage somewhere in Europe during the winter months and then go off in the truck and come back for it when we thaw out....of course when I do any more serious trails I will leave the trailer somewhere and do a big loop

I really really really want to just leave the truck and go off on motorcycles through Europe for a couple of weeks every now and then.." I think I have already decided to have an upgraded engine put in when I get to England and maybe even a galvanised chassis and will probably take off for a couple of days on the bikes while that is being done.... I am thinking that the lower cost and ease of traveling by bikes will offset the hassles.. I intend to put the trailer and bikes in storage somewhere in Europe during the winter months and then go off in the truck and come back for it when we thaw out....of course when I do any more serious trails I will leave the trailer somewhere and do a big loop

I've pretty much decided that I hate you. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior