Prepping a camel trophy defender 110 for around the world...

ipgregory

Adventurer
Leave the trailer, hook up the 90 and flat tow it over. Or keep the trailer, STILL hook up the 90 to the back of it and call it a road train? :Wow1:

Just kidding.

Ian

tatra805

throwing in my 2 cents from europe

Laws apply to the roads you are driving on and this means each vehicle using this road needs to comply. point. You might get away with it if you meet a friendly uniform but they can also see you as a money-source. (in many countries their payment bonuses are directly related to the penalties they write out in that given period)

I illustrate with a different example, since January each car needs to carry a breathalyzer (alcohol tester) in france. No matter from where you come or what you are driving you need to have this on board or can be fined. Some countries you have to have a fire extinguisher; some not, some it has to be mounted in-reach of the driver, others it does not matter, some countries you need a reflective vest for each of the passengers and driver, some only for the driver etc etc

Your trailer needs to comply with the laws valid for the road it drives on. NO MATTER where it is registered, or which license plates it has. (exceptions are diplomatic vehicles or army forces deployed in foreign territory)

trailers with max gross weight less than 750kg = license plate as the car has IF your car insurance covers the trailer also (which most insurances do here).
It will need to have a technical type approval, made by a constructor and technical control; this is EU-wide valid and it might be possible to obtain this based on your US type approval. (took me 2 months to register a UK made trailer in slovakia as it was first time imported into that country)

Trailers with max gross weight over 750kg = separate license plate, yearly technical control and separate insurance and the trailer must have a active brake system.
With your 110 you will need a driver license equivalent to the european B+E type. (max gross train weight over 3.5 ton and below 7.5 ton)
(if your vehicle or trailer are registered to a company you open up a complete different can of worms which includes tachograph, drive-time limitations etc so hope you have it all on your personal name and dont fall under commercial transport)

Speed limit for trailers is 80km/h in most countries. IF your trailer is type approved for this and your car has ABS limit is 100km/h.

Tow hitch needs to be type approved on all non-commercial cars. The system you mention is not. i also have no knowledge of type approved 4" hitch systems in europe.
So this is another registration you have to go through.

Regarding insurance make sure your insurance is valid in europe, and in each country you are driving through. It is not because your insurance says it will cover you that the insurance company is recognized over here. Ask them which european partners they have or under which insurance license they are registered. Might save you a lot of hassle at checkpoints.

As there were a lot of changes in the laws in the last years controls on trailers and trains are common and strict; it is all still confusing to people here so the uniforms know where to find income. I dont have to say that a US license plate might even be more magnetic to them.

Road taxes, vignets etc will be higher as you will pay for the trailer separately (also ferry costs etc)

To be honest, it is all achievable but you'll waste a lot of time and money on this. Why not ship the bikes over, buy a type approved trailer here and sell it on departure.

Good luck and if you would need help with something just send me a PM.

:)

tacr2man

Adventurer
Re trailer europe ROW etc , I read mention that your vehicle is "foreign" registered , I take it that you are referring to it still retaining its UK reg eg "C 123 ABC " , if you stay with this ie get it MOT( roadworthy inspection) and licensed( road tax disc) when you get it to UK ( that plate stays with vehicle thruout its life) . The trailer will not need any inspection or plate as it will just display vehicle that is towing number plate on rear . If it is below 750kg gross weight ( ie loaded) then it will not require a braking system . If it is over that weight loaded then it will need automatic brakes and park brake . It still will not need any inspection or licence plate . If you licence elsewhere in Europe then trailer requirements will be different re inspection and licence plate. Towing a trailer thru europe and 90% of ROW is not really a problem , as long as you stay on tracks(graded) or highways. If weather gets bad (rain /snow) tracks can be russian roulette .
Regarding driving licence , thruout EU over 750KG need addition to "standard" car driver licence. This is a recent requirement, before you just could tow any trailer upto 3500kg . if vehicle was specced to that weight . This will apply if you have UK driving licence, but if you get international licence this may not be relevant to you if your home licence country does not have this requirement for trailer towing , obviously if you have a truck ( LGV eg semi) driver licence this is all irrelevant as it ranks higher if you get my drift . HTSH

tacr2man

Adventurer
have just noticed post before my last , sorry but have to disagree with a couple of points .

"Your trailer needs to comply with the laws valid for the road it drives on. NO MATTER where it is registered, or which license plates it has. (exceptions are diplomatic vehicles or army forces deployed in foreign territory)"

This is incorrect . if the trailer and its towing vehicle is legal in country of registration ie UK then it is deemed legal in all other EU countries.

Re tow hitch etc .. This legislation is recent and is not retrospective.. ie will not apply to "c" reg UK vehicle UNLESS you are fittting a new manufacture tow bar . (coupling)

Re trailer as stated in my post regarding licencing in UK this is correct and as I mentioned other EU countries will have different requirements, IF the trailer or tow vehicle is licenced in that country.

Re type approval this only applies to trailers manufacturred in last year or so in UK or country of licence (varies when implemented)

Your trailer was made long before this so does not apply if tow vehicle and you operate with UK basis.
Insurance . This will be issued by insurance company in your operating country (eg where you and your vehicle) are registered . This will give you option of being issued with greencard (ins certificate) which by EU law is applicable to (valid in ) all EU countries . This will state on it the validity period and may cost extra for extended periods as insurance companies vary on standard validity eg 90 days per year 180 DPY or 364 DPY .

The following may not be applicable to you but may be of interest to other forum readers

Getting a Q number plate during a short visit to the UK

If you visit the UK with a vehicle that is showing a number plate with non-UK identifiable letters, you'll need to apply for a temporary UK ‘Q' number plate. Find out what vehicles will need a ‘Q' number plate and how to get one.
Vehicles needing a temporary UK ‘Q' number plate

If you visit the UK for up to six months and bring your vehicle with you, you may need a temporary UK number plate. Vehicles needing a temporary UK ‘Q' number plate are those showing non-UK identifiable letters and numbers. For example, a vehicle showing Arabic script plates would not be identifiable in the UK.

Temporary ‘Q' plates are also issued to vehicles that are not registered in their home country but need to be registered in the UK.

Vehicles staying in the UK for a longer period than six months need to register and license here. However, there are exemptions for students and workers who normally live outside the UK but are only in the UK for a set study or work period.
Getting a temporary ‘Q' number plate for your vehicle

When coming to the UK for a visit and bringing your vehicle with you, you will be temporarily importing it. If you temporarily import a non-EU registered vehicle and customs relief is claimed under ‘Temporary Admission', you'll need to contact the National Import Relief Unit (NIRU).

As long as you and your vehicle meet the conditions set by HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC), the NIRU within HMRC can stamp the back of your notification form C110 on arrival and departure.

If you did not complete a C110 on arrival to the UK, you will need to complete as soon as possible and send it to NIRU.

Contact details for NIRU

NIRU
Abbey House Head Street
Enniskillen
Country Fermanagh
BT 74 7JL

Notice of arrival of a temporarily imported non-EU private vehicle (C110) Opens new window

Sending your C110 notification form to the RAC or DVLA

Once your stamped/approved C110 notification form is returned to you from Customs, you will need to send it to Bristol RAC or to the DVLA local office in Wimbledon upon arrival to the UK. You will also need to send the following documents:

foreign registration certificate
personal identification such as your passport
insurance document (green card insurance can be accepted for foreign temporary use in the UK)
details of a UK contact address and place of entry into the UK

When your documents have been received by Bristol RAC or Wimbledon local office they will send you:

details of the UK temporary ‘Q' registration number
a V573 temporary registration card

Wimbledon local office and RAC do not currently charge a fee for this service.
RAC and DVLA Wimbledon local office addresses

Send your stamped notification form C110 to either the RAC or DVLA Wimbledon local office.

Bristol RAC motoring organisation

Wimbledon DVLA local office

RAC Carnets
Great Park Road
Bradley Stoke
Bristol
BS32 4QN

Connect House
133-137 Alexandra Road
Wimbledon
SW19 7J

Telephone: 08000 468 375

Telephone: 0300 790 6802
Once you've received V573 temporary registration card

Once you've received your V573 temporary registration card you'll need to take it to a number plate supplier. While there is no expiry on this registration card, the temporary Q plate is issued on the understanding that it is for temporary display while someone from outside the UK is travelling within the UK for their visits. Such visits should not exceed a six month period.

The number plate supplier will be able to make new UK ‘Q' number plates for your vehicle.

The supplier may ask you to show identification such as your passport. The number plate supplier will charge a fee for making

Re road tax The UK does not charge any foreign vehicle , but this is not so in other EU countries as they have Tolls either road specific eg motorways (main highways) or countrytwide where you have to buy a little sticker for windscreen.
Obviously if you register your vehicle in UK then there is a charge.

There are some requirements as mentioned in tatra805 post with regard to breathalysers , hi vis , extinguisher, spare bulbs etc in various EU countries , that will need to comply with , this was not supposed to happen as one of main purposes of EU was common requirements , but some countries intro new laws without getting full EU agreement.
The EU is like herding cats !! can be real PITA . Their one size fits all idea is why Euro is in such a financial mess. JMHO ,

Nonimouse

Cynical old bastard
If you speak to Arjan on the Land Roverer Addict site he will be able to give you the full up to date accurate legalities

Nice bloke, understands the law as it's his job to teach customs/police etc all over Europe. He lives in France so can explain the issues at the moment

The Rover Shop

Explorer
Right now thinking about not taking the trailer and bikes with us and just buying some over there and selling when leaving....looks like too much potential hazards against rewards...

tacr2man

Adventurer
Right now rethinking my rethink.... Wanna do so many places by car and equally as many by bike.. Soooo confoosed...
To help your decision process , have a look re bike insurance, as very expensive. Ebay uk will give you idea on bike prices .
Where were you intending on shipping into and were you going to register vehicle local ?

The Rover Shop

Explorer
Can ship into and from wherever is cheapest...can ship from Canada or us eastern seaboard and into anywhere in Europe as i really have no plans on where I want to go in what order... I am thinking that buying bikes and a trailer over there is the best way but was looking at doing some riding through Canada and the US on the way....

The Rover Shop

Explorer
So a buddy says to me the other day while chatting....I think I have a rear winch bumper laying around for your truck..... bastard...now just when I thought I had finished major additions...I also found another hannibal roof top tent that was in way better shape an a newer model than mine...so I bought it and without thinking just removed mine and went about placing the new one up there...the bloody thinkg is bigger than the old one and juuuust fits in the width of the rack, this means I have to relocated the side flood lights and the thing is so snug I cant put the cover back on it...so now I have to devise a way to easily keep it covered but still make it as weather prof as possible while driving in heavy rains etc..nothing worse than opening your tent after being in the rain all day only to find the insides soaked along with your bedding...

The Rover Shop

Explorer
So I picked up the bumper and went about doing a mock fitup of it, it fits and doesn't take up too much space and best of it it gives me instant poseur bling status.... nothing says "I'm a serious adventurer " more than a rear winch mounted bumper...LOL.. So I get it all painted up and while still slightly wet I start "installing" it...looks godd...mount the lowest profile winch I have laying around...a mile marker 8000lb and it all seems to be going good...go to open the door and the clutch release lever hits on the door when in the released position but not in the locked position...no problem...who needs to release the clutch anyway...I can just reverse the motor out the 100 feet of cable if I need to...:Wow1:.. so I look at where the rear tyre mounts and think...holy crap. that looks like it will be close...I am waiting for my second spare wheel to be finished so I grab one from a different vehicle and mount it up....and I have about 2 mm clearance between the spare tyre and the winch in the closed position...but in the closed position the tyre hits on the clutch release lever on the winch...but only in the clutch locked positon...bugger....If I shave the top off the winch clutch lever off I think it will miss the rear door and the spare tyre and I can still operate it and leave it in the locked position...the spare tyre I mounted is a different size than the ones on my truck (thinner but higher profile and almost worn out) and I am quite sure that with my proper spare installed I will have clearance issues.... but it looks soooo coooool...
stuff for sale 088.jpg

stuff for sale 090.jpg

The Rover Shop

Explorer
It looks like it hangs down further than it does but it is just a stock rear nas bumper with a modified top plate welded in...so it should pose no more problems with departure angles than normal...and definitely less than the stock ROW hitch that comes on them..it also has the added benefit of having a flat surface underneath to allow me to use my exhaust jack under it and a nice area to attatch a sturdy fuel tank guard... I plan to ditch the stock tank and install a larger unit when I can find a good deal on one...probably in europe somewhere...

cgalpin

Observer
You are adding a lot of weight to the truck and the NAS step bumper is a boat anchor on a 110! Personally i wouldn't do it. If you really want a rear winch option, get one of those cradles with a 2" receiver tube and fit receivers front and back (nut not with the nas step bumper).

But if you insist on using this, I recommend cutting down the bumper top surface and putting in a lower winch plate. It will solve all the clearance problems.

Yours looks already modified, but if you'd rather hack at a rusty one (since you'll be cutting and welding you can address the rust then) PM me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94