Page 2 of 46 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Prepping a camel trophy defender 110 for around the world...

That looks like a 3gal eas tank for a Classic with air bag suspension. If it is I have the same tank, mounts etc. I ditched oba system project for a 20lb co'2 tank setup . That eas tank was designed to hold a constant 140 psi for the life of the truck bolted to the frame rail. That tank was made in Ireland ,sticker is still on mine.
    For a rtw truck Co2 wouldn't be very practical. Looks pretty neat the way you set it up.
    2 Land Rover 130 tdi's
    83 Land Rover 110 4.2 liter,auto, Trident Green
    93 Land Rover 110 galvanized everything
    89 Land Rover 90 4.2 V8 with lots of Safari Gard underneath
    94 Range Rover LWB Brooklands Green

DividingCreekImports.com
    Worldwide Vehicle Import and Logistics Services- all makes
    Defender restoration and modification services

http://expeditionportal.com/right-ha...-land-cruiser/

Great thread I hope to one day jump in the rover and drive untill I am out of money. unfortunatyly right now that wouldn't get me to far so it is back to work tomorrow. Anyway merry Christmas to all

Quote Originally Posted by DividingCreek View Post
    That looks like a 3gal eas tank for a Classic with air bag suspension. If it is I have the same tank, mounts etc. I ditched oba system project for a 20lb co'2 tank setup . That eas tank was designed to hold a constant 140 psi for the life of the truck bolted to the frame rail. That tank was made in Ireland ,sticker is still on mine.
    For a rtw truck Co2 wouldn't be very practical. Looks pretty neat the way you set it up.
    You are exactly correct...wasn't a big deal to set it up the way I wanted it...the biggest problem was me trying to decide what I wanted it to be able to do.. I put a lower pressure switch in the system so as to not put un-necessary load on the compressor...if I need more pressure in the tank I can bridge the pressure switch and get up to the 300psi that the pump is supposed to be able to put out...why I would need anythng more than 100psi though is beyond me..

Okay...made progress on the overhead console...I wanted a way to make sure that all of the expensive communication gear was kept high and dry as well as hoping that it will be not so visible to would be thieves, I also wanted it to be the main switching panel for the items in the back such as the LED strip lighting, the rear fridge as well as the onboard water system and air compressor.., thankfully I have a roll cage already in this vehicle so it makes it easy to build up on that..
    RTW-camel-009-L.jpg
    I bought a 6 switch panel with built in circuit breakers, I took some 3 wire 110 electrical cable and ran power, ground and a switched power to the overhead console, I ran them straight to a switch in the o/h console so that I can turn the whole console off if i needed to, but then I changed my mind, I ran it to a 3 position switch...off, ignitioned switched or constant on....I did this so that when driving around towns etc it switches off and on with the ignition but when I am camping I can have it on without having to have the ignition on, I also ran the cb and the ham through another switch so that I can leave them on and the volume set where I want it and the channels i want and with the flick of a switch they both turn on or off as well as the same other options.. I have probably over-engineered/thought this but I wanted to try and factor in all needs and requirements as possible, the o/h console is powered from #2 battery (optima)run through a 100 amp circuit breaker, as that will be my main camping battery and the one being charged by the solar panels..(more on that later)..
    overhead-console-3-L.jpg
    The hella map lights have a constant power to them so that they can be switched on at any time..
    overhead-console-2-L.jpg
    overhead-console-4-L.jpg
    overhead-console-8-L.jpg
    overhead-console-12-L.jpg
    When I did the wiring I used bus bars for both power and grounds so that I can easily add anything at a later date...the back cover is hinged so I just go in through there to do any add ons or repairs.. I have left plenty of space for other stuff at a later date..
    overhead-console-7-L.jpg
    Once I am done with it i will have a couple of sheet metal plates screwed to the surface as I have magnetic lights that can be placed there shining down as well as hooks and some of those high power magnets...always handy for stuff... ..??? when reading or..??? I will also have some velcro material sections for..???
    and then it will be covered in material with small "drapes" to cover the faces of the radios etc to stop prying eyes..
    I had installed a tuffy box and now that the speakers were up I could finish installing the stereo.. you can see the switch to the side of the stereo...this allows me to switch it from being switched on with the ignition to being switched on without the ignition, so that when camping I dont have to have the ignition on, but while driving around normal I don't forget to turn it off and come back to a dead battery..
    camel-015-L.jpg
    This switch gave me other ideas as well for some hidden anti-theft switches since the tuffy box lid is lockable with the stereo completely covered and secure, I have ordered an anti-theft fuel cut off solenoid and I will have that switched through a switch in the same position next to the stereo...normal driving it is automatically switched off and on with the ignition but then when I need added security at the flick of a switch and the lock of a tuffy box they won't get far...I have some other anti-theft ideas coming up soon as well..
    Being that this has gotten more and more electrically out of hand and the car doesn't have an accessories circuit persay I used an ignition on wire to switch a relay to give me a good ignition switched power feed to power the things I wanted on a switched circuit, don't wanna go letting that LUCAS smoke out...I even used original land rover relays and plugs..
    camel-012-L.jpg
    I then decided that I wanted to monitor the voltage drain and draw so I had to go down to the starter and break into the main power feed wires and run large wires up to inside the car into my amps meter and then back out and back down to the starter (needs to be in-line at the main power feed point AFTER the starter motor feed), I have one spot left in my dash guage housing and that is set aside for the dual battery voltage monitor guage...
    camel-005-L.jpg
    Last edited by The Rover Shop; 01-16-2012 at 04:16 AM.

The other 2 guages are the amps meter and the oil pressure guage...so now in the dash I have a mechanical water temp guage, a new fuel guage and a voltmeter and then in the centre pods I have amps, oil pressure and battery monitors.... that should keep the paranois mechanic in me satisfied...well mostly...
    new-unsorted-039-L.jpg
    The hood came back from my painter and now it is time to install the spare tyre carrier, problem is that since I am running bigger tyres the wheel holder needs to me modified, does it ever end..???
    camel-024-L.jpg
    camel-011-L.jpg
    The height and position of this wheel is one of the reasons I was comfortable installing the additional guages on the dash where I have..
    I did mange to modify my favourite gear knob to suit the camel...its a famous Aussie spider called a redback...
    camel-014-L.jpg
    I also managed to find the correct Superwinch husky 10k lb winch for the front as well...will be refurbishing this very soon to install in place of the brand new warn I installed...
    camel-022-L.jpg
    ..I also got a finished tank back from my welder, and trial fitting was perfect, now he just needs to place the mounting tabs and filler neck and then I get to install it...
    aux-tank-2-L.jpg
    aux-tank-1-L.jpg

So why are replacing a brand new Warn with a Superwinch? Your Defender is looking awesome.

Thanks.. I know it sounds kinda stoopid but the superwinch Husky series has long been regarded as one of the upper end winches...its downfall or detriment is a slow line speed...its upside is that it is a worm drive motor so it will pull the same all day long and the worm gear drive acts as a brake for added safety...that and the original winch fitted to my camel was a superwinch...the correct decals which will be going on the truck soon will say camel trophy superwinch...I can't really have a warn winch on it then can I..???

I got my long awaited camel trophy rack today from brownchurch in England..boy are they ugly...but talk about functional...now I get to hack it up to allow me to have the front light bars pivot down so I can open my roof top tent to the front... will take pics and update... I also am paranoid about people stealing my **** or worse...stealing my car, I have spent lots of time to figure out how to make it as theft proof as possible and am quite happy with the results i have come up with...If they can steal this after overcoming my obstacles then more power to them...they must REALLLLY want her... and even after that I activate the GPS system and track it down,,,pics and details coming soon..

I didn't know they came that way. So now it makes perfect sense.

Can you tell us more about your special shortwave radio ? Sounds like something I would like to have .

great build up Thanks
    Mike El Paso,TX
    Gentleman Adventure
    "Ich dien"

1985 FJ-60
    1977 FJ-40
    Tiger Moth trailer
    2005 Ural Gear Up
    2013 Porsche Cayenne 6spd

Travel Blog www.badlandsexpeditions.wordpress.com

Instagram: #badlandsexpeditions

We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. George Orwell

Page 2 of 46 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast