Prepping a camel trophy defender 110 for around the world...

The Rover Shop

Explorer
In regards to the radio I looked into purchasing the ham radio that does the whole schebang, but since I had to purchase a radio that was interchangeable for the US and Europe bands as well as the ability to listen to CD's as well as the IPOD or mp3 and still be able to receive local radio stations and shortwave...combine that with my anality (the propensity to be selectively anal..) about having backup systems< I needed my "emergency" radios to be high up out of harm (water's) way...and I wanted my regular everyday radio to be conveniently accessible...kinda hard to have it both ways..LOL..

The Rover Shop

Explorer
Hey Scott..
the RTW trip departure is still flexible..looks like my last major delaying hurdle is being put to rest and then I have to finish off a couple of projects...waiting for England etc to thaw out (I live in Sth Florida and to go straight into that sort of deep freeze i think my body would go into eternal shock ..LOL..))..so its looking like we should be ready about april...problem is that we were at the last overland expo and really enjoyed it so we may start it from there...problem is that I have seen most of the USA and my fiancee has not so since we are so close I may have to show her the majestic yellowstone and Yosemite parks and then since we are so close to the west coast I may take her up into oregon and then back down the PCH through the sequoias and then come back this way and visit her parents in New Hampshire and ship out of Boston area bound for England and off from there..so apart from those problems (yeah, don't we all wish we had "problems" like those...LOL..) I am ready to go tomorrow...alright, maybe Friday.. This RTW adventure started off as being on a motorcycle (my KTM 950) and has now morphed into the monster it has become..I am however still in the final deciding stages of kitting out my military trailer to take my KTM and the fiancees BMW 650 x-country with us to allow us the flexibility to do some travelling on the motorcycles also (I recently did the Trans-Am trail solo and had a ball and the fiancee was my cyber-pillion and she still hates me for not taking her along)..We recently attended a Ducati Elefant rally in Nevada where she was a pillion and from there I took her through Death Valley and up the Sierra Nevada range recently and she did fine on her own bike and has been hooked on adventure riding ever since.. Aren't you glad you asked...??:coffee:

Very Interested in this build!

Keep it coming!!

I'll be heading to Aus in a few weeks and there I'll be buying a Defender, do my trip around the country, ship it back to Canada, then get it ready for the next lag of the trip... not sure where yet, but I kow I'll be wanting to do it in my 110!!!!

atancreti

Observer
If your heading through or by Des Moines Iowa, send me a message! I would love to take you out to dinner. I love your first post about "as we speak the world is heading to crap..." you hit the nail on the head right there! Good luck. I will definitely keep watching! Can't wait for your thread to start in the active over landing section.

The Rover Shop

Explorer
If your heading through or by Des Moines Iowa, send me a message! I would love to take you out to dinner. I love your first post about "as we speak the world is heading to crap..." you hit the nail on the head right there! Good luck. I will definitely keep watching! Can't wait for your thread to start in the active over landing section.

Careful what you ask for...it just may happen and I have expensive tastes...only the best mexican food for me...:costumed-smiley-007...LOL

tacr2man

Adventurer
Have you got a breather on that aux fuel tank as you say that you have a sealed cap to stop fumes getting into interior of car , no breather no fuel transfer (or very slow) . There is a underwing tank for r/h side available that fits into fuel filler pipe , it augments the standard rear tank capacity by 11 imp gallons , fills at same time as main tank . HTSH

The Rover Shop

Explorer
I went with a cap that has a one way valve in it...it allows air to get into the tank but not out.. The aux tank will have a shut off valve on the bottom of it and will be plumbed into the main tank...I will only be using the tank when I am in remote regions and then when my main tank gets low I just open the valve and let it dump into the main tank, if it was a sealed cap this wouldn't be a problem as I could just release the cap when doing this... I have seen the tanks for the right side and they looked really good but if I recall they were REALLY expensive...then then again what good quality stuff for these cars isn't..:smiley_drive:

The Rover Shop

Explorer
Started setting up my solar panel charging and battery monitoring system.. went with a 30amp system...will be using 2 powerfilm strips and for the longer term campsites I will have a 120 watt 2ft by 5ft panel slid in underneath the roof rack, this will be able to extend out to the side or to be completely removed and placed in optimum sunlight.. To keep an eye on the charge status I installed a lcd dual battery monitor...at this time I have it wired to be on all the time so that I can see at any time the status, it has an extremely low power consumption... I will be using a red top optima for the cranking and regular duties..and a optima yellow top for accessories... I also have a AGM battery from interstate that is used for electric wheelchairs...it has a handy rubber handle built in and is a deep cycle battery...this will be plugged into the system so it is kept fully charged but will be used as a portable battery for the ground tent...or away from the car.
latest-camel-065-L.jpg
latest-camel-066-L.jpg
latest-camel-068-L.jpg
latest-camel-069-L.jpg
latest-camel-072-L.jpg
latest-camel-073-L.jpg

The Rover Shop

Explorer
I am expecting to get all sorts of fuel qualities on my trips so I am installing a readily available additional fuel filter with the see through base so I can see whats going on...this is a racor unit so should be available all over the world..I relocated the original one slightly to the right and then installed rivnuts through the firewall which allowed a fairly tidy installation..now I just need to plumb it in and will be used in conjuction with the original one...this is a 2 micron unit..
latest-camel-070-L.jpg
latest-camel-071-L.jpg

coryc85

Awesome build. I think I saw your Zebra rover at the FLRC Rally last spring. I was the only Toyota there, but loved that Rover event. I live in Broward, would you mind if I stopped by your shop sometime and took at look at this thing?

The Rover Shop

Explorer
Sure...no problem at all...there is however a small charge for the tour groups...call ahead to make sure availablity... Hey..I gotta support this build somehow...LOL...

coryc85

Thanks, I'll call ahead and book tickets! My brother has a Disco II and he'd love to come with me, see your shop, so the tour group is 2.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles