Prepping a camel trophy defender 110 for around the world...

Nonimouse

Cynical old bastard
Righto

All the stickers are available - all have different part numbers so that is being collated by Superwinch as I write this - I'll just get the two packs!

They call the bracing bar a CAMEL TROPHY BAR - it was initially designed for CT; it's not sold in the states but is still supplied on order over here. I've got 1 on order - it's come out of a dusty box in the back of the store with 'Camel' written on in felt tip marker

The solenoid cover 7709 is also on order.

Delivery to me depends on when they get round to collating the sticker part numbers... Should be next week

The Rover Shop

Explorer
You are the freakin MAN....love it...I got a message from superwinch USA yesterday that they were having trouble finding the parts I had requested...if its not too much to ask could you get the cover on the OTHER side of the solenoids,..the one over the lever..they did manage to get the solenoid cover for me in my last order..

El Solis

Adventurer
Shane I'll take pictures of my CT 110 winch so you can see where they go. Anything else you need pics of? Loving this thread. I need to call you for some tuning advice. If you ever make it to the San Fran Bay Area you have a warm bed and cold beer waiting!

The Rover Shop

Explorer
got my hood back from my painter finally so i went about installing the dynamat hood insulation...
latest-camel-160-L.jpg

and my heavy duty spare wheel mounting reinforcing plate..
latest-camel-161-L.jpg

latest-camel-162-L.jpg
Still have to custom make risers for the support towers as due to the larger tyres the towers need to be about 3/4 of an inch taller to support the wheel...

Went back to working on the monumental pain in my rear...the dreaded and time devouring over-complicaed and thought out hinged light bar unit..
Please keep in mind alot of these thiings are mock ups at the moment to make sure evrything gels together...the have not had the finaal clean up and tidying...all of that will be done when all works together okay... Well i got my piano hinge and secured it up and started welding everything in place...
latest-camel-163-L.jpg
With everything tacked up time to give it a trial run...
latest-camel-167-L.jpg
...yep...seems to work so far..I bought 4 of the hella 4000's a while ago but only got 2 of the ones with the city lights in them...so due to the design of the light bar the lighting plug that is on the back of the light assy is too big, so i re-routed and rewires that setup, changed the bulbs aver to 130 watt bulbs,,,,,shhhhh, illegal in the USA...
latest-camel-174-L.jpg

latest-camel-173-L.jpg
So with all of them wired up as nec..(wired all of them so they are self grounding to the rack which will be one big ground circuit...)..tiem to stand back and see how they look..
latest-camel-169-L.jpg

yep....daddy likes...520 watts of retina burners

latest-camel-170-XL.jpg

The Rover Shop

Explorer
can also mount a remote control searchlight ther as well...going to try and do some wildlife cause volunteering whiel travelling and these are handy to use as a search light when stationary....thats my justification for it and I am sticking to it...
latest-camel-175-L.jpg

time to see how it pivots with the lights on...
latest-camel-172-L.jpg

All of this so that i can do this.....

latest-camel-177-L.jpg

The Rover Shop

Explorer
Had some rust repairs done to my doors so upon re-assembly decided to add a bit of the dynamat sound deadening material,,, can't put it in the bottom sections as the glass slider runs too close to the door..
latest-camel-179-L.jpg
latest-camel-180-L.jpg

Did the same on the front as well..
latest-camel-181-L.jpg

Installed my reinforcing plate on the hood a while ago and so the hood stays closed on the corrugated roads I re-installed a set of the military hood spring latches...my car originally had these but were missing by the time I got them...but holes were still there so it was a no-brainer..LOL...
latest-camel-188-L.jpg
latest-camel-189-L.jpg

It's kinda funny looking back at all the work has been done so far and so much still to do..I started out my idea of riding around the world on this...
latest-camel-184-L.jpg
and it was built with the same no holds barred list of goodies installed..so now I have started building a trailer capable of going off road to take the KTM and the fiancees bmw 650 behind the camel..idea is to take the trailer and leave it somewhere while we are in the car and then when we want a change of pace we swap and go off travelling on the bikes...well that's the plan anyway..
Got the trailer axle back from having the land rover spindles welded on so that i can have the same wheels on as the truck...extra/same spares etc..will post pics as that develops as well..
After riding across the USA by dirt roads on the Trans Am trail on this..
latest-camel-186-L.jpg
with the fiancee staying home and following me by spot adventure and google earth she got all riled up about doing some travelling on a bike so here we are building the monstrosity I am in the midst of..

aka rover

Adventurer
This is looking very good and am liking the folding light bar, very good idea you have there. You get your lights and the tent..

Im rebuilding an old set of 110 doors for my 109 and was wondering if you sourced out new felt channels the glass slides in or reuse the old. Mine is in bad shape and would like to install new to keep the rattles down a bit.

Thanks Ed

Last edited:

The Rover Shop

Explorer
This is looking very good and am liking the folding light bar, very good idea you have there. You get your lights and the tent..

Im rebuilding an old set of 110 doors for my 109 and was wondering if you sourced out new felt channels the glass slides in or reuse the old. Mine is in bad shape and would like to install new to keep the rattles down a bit.

Thanks Ed
If they are the windows that slide back and forth horizontally (like the rear sliding windows) you can go to your local craft store and buy felt and cut a strip as wide as nec and install it...if they are the wind up style like mine I just bought new ones..weren't terribly expensive but it help to have microcat to get the part numbers to making ordering from the dealer easier...or else you get...you want a what for a WHAT?????..

The Rover Shop

Explorer
Re-installed the rear doors and modified the door check strap to allow the door to open a full 90 degrees...just enough to stop the door edge from hitting the body...makes getting the storage boxes out much easier but you still have the check strap function of holding the door open..
canon-digital-493-L.jpg

canon-digital-494-L.jpg

Did the same to the front...
canon-digital-495-L.jpg

The Rover Shop

Explorer
Had some LED trailer lights I am not going to use on my trailer so i decided to put them to good use..mounted one over top of the drop down shelf on the rear door..it also pivots and tilts so that it can double as a work light as well..it is switched on by a switch that is energised when the interior lights circuits are on...that way I can also use it as an interior light when the doors are closed..
canon-digital-491-L.jpg

canon-digital-492-L.jpg
I was at northern tools the other day and they had these really neat little stick on key lights that can be stuck wherever you like and work pretty well...so for the times when you don't need the bigger LED cooking lights with the push of a button it provides enough light to let you know how the steak is coming on the grill..

canon-digital-496-L.jpg
canon-digital-497-L.jpg

The Rover Shop

Explorer
As with many expedition vehicles we have so much invested not only in our vehicles but also in the contents of our vehicles..Theft is a constant concern..both of the vehicle and the contents we have inside..now lets face it, if a thief wants your car or contents we can only do our best to try and stop him...if they want it bad enough they are going to get it...the trick is to make it as difficult for them as possible so that hopefully they move onto an easier target...sorry about that mr next victim...better you than me..The door locks on a defender aren't worth a pooop...most defender keys will open your door..heck, sometimes even a non defender key or screwdriver...not to mention the old, break the mindow reach in and pull the lock knob up, open the door and then sit in while they rummage through your personal stuff stealing what they want..Us aussies being a resourceful bunch have a fix for that..

canon-digital-503-L.jpg

canon-digital-504-L.jpg

canon-digital-505-L.jpg

canon-digital-506-L.jpg

canon-digital-508-L.jpg

canon-digital-509-L.jpg

While it looks very crude the idea is quite simple...give you enough time and warning allowing you to load your gun and take aim and shoot the thieving mogrel dogs...even if they do unlock the door its going to take a hell of a man to break that stainless stell chain or pull the rivnuts out of the door frame...the eyelet bolts are long enough that if you try to undo the bolts the chain does its tightening twist long before the bolt comes out..I will have the same system on the rear doors..when parking the car in a dubious situation, (which will hopefully not happen too often) or when leaving the car somewhere while we go off on bikes this system will be used..I exit the vehicle and close and lock all doors except the rear..then i go in through the rear door and chain and lock the front doors together and then do the same to the rear doors, I then leave out the rear/back door and then another rod goes on the inside of the camel ladder and bolts to either side, making it impossible to get in through the rear door..and then I arm the alarm which has a glass breaking senso and motion switch..should the thief attempt to break the glass the alarm goes off and with the thief then seeing the obstacles he is about to face he usually takes off...should he persist and get inside by climbing through the window and manages to sit in the seat with that chain diggin into his back...should he then manage to get the alarm siren with the 140dB siren blaring out the front and the additional one inside the vehicle pircing his eardrum and not to mention creating quite a scene...but lets say he manages to get around all of this he then manages to find the battery switch and turn it on...then finds that the gear box transfer lever is in neutral, and then finds that my park brake can't be released because i have a steel pipe slipped over the handle and padlocked to the handle making pushing the release button impossible...but lets say he manages to get around all of thes and also manage to get the door chains released etc etc...and then manages to get it started coz he is going to get a bunch of money for this camel trophy at his mates chop shop and he manages to get it started while dodging the hail of bullets from my gun which I have carefully loaded and taken aim with, he starts the car and drives off thinking he has finally made it...only to find that the vehicle dies in the middle of the road because the fuel cutoff solenoid hasn't been switched on by the unmarked hidden switch inside the tuffy box , and the vehicle has died in the middle of the road, by this time your resident crim is strating to wish he took a different career path....or at least a different car...I can tell you from personal experience (don't ask) that he is not going to sit in the middle of the road trying to figure out what went wrong and trying to get it started again...off he runs hopefully empty handed and you get your car back with hopefully minimal damage...

canon-digital-511-L.jpg

canon-digital-510-L.jpg

canon-digital-512-L.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz