Anyone Living in Snow Country?

Carolyn

no retreat, no surrender
Hi. I'm up above SLC, UT; at about 8000' in the Wasatch. Salted Highway up = slush that gets thrown all over the sides of my JKU. It's new(ish). Bought it this summer, 2011 Wrangler 4 door. I put Goodyear Duratracs on, and they really sling the slush. I don't have a garage. I've done a lot of mods to make this jeep good for me for work... I work in the back-country, camping 1 or 2 weeks at a time. Plus planning some major adventure trips with this one. That said; I'm trying to stay ahead of the rust issue... I want this jeep to last me a lot longer than the last one did (didn't care for it properly)... and this is what I'm wondering:

What about putting on some kind of mud flaps, that I can remove when going off road? (And when snow season is over) Anyone done anything like this or? What do you do? Washing it off is not an option, as even if I could keep a hose unfrozen, it would turn my driveway into a skating rink... I do wash it - including the undercarriage every trip to town... but driving back up the mountain, it just gets coated again.

Any suggestions?

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
There are several sources who sell removable mud flaps, google is your friend. The easiest option is to buy a beater Subaru or Cherokee. I rarely drive either of our Jeeps, our two other cars have good winter tires and a lower COG.

Carolyn

no retreat, no surrender
Thanks. I have a jeep because I live in the mountains, and I use it for work. Drove a subaru for a bit a few years back..... really was awful the morning after a good dump.... the thing was like a snow scoop.... and I got windshield shots (think face shots) all the way down our hill (the road is wide enough for 1 vehicle, plus a foot or two clearance on either side)... Not fun. Plus, no place to park another vehicle. Room for 2 only - my husbands toyo, and my jeep.

Appreciate your advice though..... will look into the removable mud flaps via google...

My last jeep lasted 5 years..... but this one with better care should last a lot longer!

bldeagle10

Explorer
to keep it off the sides you could run mudflaps and wider fender flares, come summer time have the frame and undercarriage coated with a good undercoating, line-x is the best in my mind but you can go cheapy and buy spray on rustoleum stuff or duplicolor, or they have roll on stuff as well. this will help protect the metal longer

Carolyn

no retreat, no surrender
Thank you bldeagle... guess the mud flap idea is a good one. I had it undercoated when brand new. I've spent a lot of time underneath, and use fluid film on nuts/bolts that start to show rust, and por 15 undercoat where the original undercoating gets rubbed/nicked etc... I'll keep a good eye (on a lift) at least monthly, to check for nicks etc... in the undercoating... keeping it all as clean as I can.

It's the slush/salt junk that's flying all over the sides that has me bummed. Found some TerraFlex removable mud flaps, but they are only for the rear. I also want to be able to have them be removable up front. Guess I'll talk to my mechanic about it.

Thanks again...

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
...It's the slush/salt junk that's flying all over the sides that has me bummed. Found some TerraFlex removable mud flaps, but they are only for the rear. I also want to be able to have them be removable up front. Guess I'll talk to my mechanic about it.

Thanks again...

Swing by the Teraflex shop next time you are down in the valley, not only do they have their large parts business, they have a full-service shop that does installs and custom work. No doubt they could modify some of their rear mudflaps to work on the front as well. Their techs are some of the best in the business, Jeep business that is :D

Carolyn

no retreat, no surrender
Hey, thanks for that. I'm actually going down tomorrow. I've got waaaay to much invested in this jeep to not do everything I can... I really love this jeep.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Sounds like its well worth protecting. Tell them Kurt @ CruiserOutfitters, they may charge you more but its worth a mention :D

Timgco

Adventurer
you could also look at the Bushwacker pocket style flares (2" wider than stock). They are wider than stock and will help.

Bushwacker flares
10918-07 $700.00

mopar has molded mudlfaps for the front/ rear.
front#82210233 $49.99
Rear#82210232 $49.99

Husky also makes molded mudflaps for front/ rear
front#H56141 $29.99
Rear#H57141 $29.99

there are other options, but these are the common ones. the added mudflaps will not work with the bushwacker flares. hope that helps.

lbarcher

Adventurer
Ah, mudflaps.

Stay away from the Mopar flaps. I had them and removed them this summer.
Your front flares are not really that well fastened and the added force of the Mopar flaps
does a good job of trying to remove the flare from the fender.

I made up some 1" angle stock brackets and bolted them to the stock Rubicon rails.
I fastened some rubber flaps to the brackets and they seem to be doing the job better than
the factory plastic did.

Because the flaps are fairly far behind the tire, I don't think I'll worry about taking the off when off road.
They also do a decent job of keeping gravel from beating all the paint off the back door hinges.

Carolyn

no retreat, no surrender
Thanks for the heads up lbarcher....

Frank... Duratracs are *arctic* rated.... and let me say.... they certainly work wonders going up and down my hill (it's long/steep/snow covered until June... - not a city/county maintained road) and I've already had a good bit of ice, since the snow is weak so far this season. But even on a weak early season, I don't see pavement once I turn off the highway - and it's over a mile to my cabin - They work great off road, on the highway, and in the snow. So - for me - a great all year tire. That's one reason I've got a 4 wd vehicle.... couldn't make it home with 2 wd a good portion of the year. Thanks for the link to the AEV flaps! They really do make such top notch equipment, that just looks good too.

But: thank you again Kurt from Cruiser Outfitters. I spent a bit of time at TerraFlex Plus today... I spoke with Sam after the first fellow had to ask questions. He knows you... and said thanks (for the referral). Talk about a wealth of knowledge re: JK's! He's going to install 4 removable TerraFlex mud flaps, welding the connector bracket (rather than bolting) and I think I'll be golden. They are well made/large/removable. He also showed me a rear tire holder thingy they have developed there... and are testing. Looks really good. I may go that way when I get to that point in my build...

Thanks again all for the help/suggestions/etc... I'll post a photo or two after they are installed next week :ylsmoke:

Frank

Explorer
I've read several other not so great opinions regarding the duratracs in the snow. If they work for you, great!

Carolyn

no retreat, no surrender
I suppose no one product will make everyone happy.... but these tires get me around in 2 wheel drive, where Michelen LTX AT's needed 4... and in 4X, well, ice and snow = no problem. I'm sure where one lives, and the type of driving one does plays a huge part too. I'm up a mountain, it's not always plowed, we never see the pavement after the first few storms 'til late spring (think north facing in the trees) - so I'm not using them simply for cruising around snow covered areas. I'm getting home. We'll see as the winter progresses...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior