1986 Toyota Pickup 4x4 Replacement Leaf Springs

CA-RJ

Expo Approved™
It's time to replace the stock rear leaf springs on my truck. My truck is completely stock and I do not want to lift it. I have newish Monroe Sensatrac shocks that I do not want to replace. It has a topper on it and will have a sleeping platform that lives inside it. The truck will sit on 31x10.50-15's when it's all said and done. As far as I can tell I have four options for replacement springs.

1-Factory Toyota springs. They are about $600 for the pair. That is out.

2-John R leaf spring. I have never heard of them and my Google search returned one result but the person who bought them has yet to actually use them. They look a little cheesy to me. They are $200 for the pair.

3-SDTrucksprings. They seem to be a quality spring. They would probably be fine for me. They are $350 for the pair.

4-Old Man Emu CS009 springs. I would really like to go this route, but the catalog lists them as giving a 2" lift. Wonder if with the added weight of the topper if the lift would be less? Wonder if I could remove a leaf? They are $280 for the pair (including bushings and u-bolts).

I want to buy something of good quality and do not want to have to replace springs again anytime soon. I am willing to spend the money to do it right. With that said, I am open to suggestions.

Thanks!

corax

Explorer
I love the OME springs on the back of my 4runner. I have a fairly detailed evaluation of what I did HERE. Overall, I gained ~ 3" in height from my very saggy rear springs with stock length rear shackles, but I don't know what the difference would be from stock height. Also, you don't have to go the same route I did with the shocks. I never really dialed any lift into the front torsion bars and I think the stance is just fine - a very slight amount of rake with all the gear I carry on a daily basis

Mc Taco

American Adventurist
Just throwing it out there, I have the stock springs for my 2004 DC Tacoma TRD. Only had about 25,000 miles before I upgraded. Would those work? You can have them for free.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Another vote for OME's... I've had them on my truck for a few years now and they're all I could have ever wanted and more. They haul a load like it's nothing, they ride extremely well for their capacity too and they flex well off-road. Add in the fact that compared to anything else with their build quality they're a steal (compared to say Dever's or Aalcan's) and I'd say I'd be hard pressed to want to buy anything else. I used OME's suspensions and dam near everything ARB had to offer in the shops when I lived in AUstralia and I never got let down by their stuff. When the time comes (and at this rate it'll be a few years) I will be replacing these OME springs with another set of the same. I'd say that kinda sums up my endorsement aye ;)

Cheers

Dave

NotAMog

Observer
I have a set of OEM springs, shocks, and front coil overs for a 2004 standard cab 4x4 if you are interested. The truck only had 18,000 miles on it when they were removed.

CA-RJ

Expo Approved™
Thank you to you both. From what I have found searching, Tacoma springs are too long for my 86.

Just throwing it out there, I have the stock springs for my 2004 DC Tacoma TRD. Only had about 25,000 miles before I upgraded. Would those work? You can have them for free.

I have a set of OEM springs, shocks, and front coil overs for a 2004 standard cab 4x4 if you are interested. The truck only had 18,000 miles on it when they were removed.

Thank you to you both. From what I have found searching, Tacoma springs are too long for my 86.

You can cut off the spring eyes and bolt the spring pack up to the main leaf on your worn out spring pack. That is what I did on my old Jeep Cherokee and it worked out much better than aftermarket lift springs. I have also seen people mix and match the new vs. old leafs to gain lift or no lift and a stock ride height.

DirectDrive

Observer
A spring shop could probably weld new clips on your frame to receive the longer 1st gen Tacoma springs. Nice of those members for the free offer. A longer spring can be smoother.
Note that the Tacoma spring width would have to match yours, or there will be more work involved.

Of your list, OME is the only one I would entertain, but you don't want a lift spring. You will, however, gain some height if you are restoring back to stock from a sagging position.

Alcan was mentioned and they have a very good rep.

Another way to go is with an AAL (add-a-leaf). This, as the name implies, is an extra leaf that is placed into your present spring pack to either restore to stock height or to add lift. Depends on what is ordered, of course.
If your present springs still have positive arch, an AAL is an option. If they are showing negative arch, I would go with a new spring.
This is a DYI or local spring shop can do this for you if needed. A good spring shop will hit your desired ride height to within 1/4" +/-
Get the truck on a level slab and jack up the body at the rear/center to where you want it. Take a measurement from the top/center of the wheel well opening to the ground. Give that dimension to the spring shop.

Note that when comparing ride height from one common vehicle to another, you have to measure from top of wheel well opening to axle centerline. This takes tire diameter out of play.

Several options for you, good luck !

CA-RJ

Expo Approved™
Thank you for your post, Direct Drive. I am really not interested in modifying my suspension setup to accommodate new springs.

I've thought about running an add-a-leaf. My rear springs still do have a bit of arch, but they are pretty worn. The truck has 270k miles on it and they are most likely the original springs. I've heard that an add-a-leaf on a small truck can make for a harsh ride. I know I can't have it all, but I am simply looking for a quality spring that will give me stock height.

zolo

Explorer
I would find a big truck suspension shop and have the factory springs re-arched and rebuild.
This can be done easily and for a modest amount of money.

If you don't want lift the OME are not the way to go. They are designed to carry load and with only a shell and sleeping plat form I don't see that being enough weight to take up 2 full inches of lift. And in my experience the OME springs seem to be a bit taller than advertised. So that is just a heads up.

As many stated ALCAN can build a spring and likely they have built a stock height spring for a Toyota before.

Id be interested in knowing what you do.

DirectDrive

Observer
Thank you for your post, Direct Drive. I am really not interested in modifying my suspension setup to accommodate new springs.
Understood.

I've thought about running an add-a-leaf. My rear springs still do have a bit of arch, but they are pretty worn. The truck has 270k miles on it and they are most likely the original springs. I've heard that an add-a-leaf on a small truck can make for a harsh ride. I know I can't have it all, but I am simply looking for a quality spring that will give me stock height.
If your present springs have negative arch, I would just replace them.

Email Alcan for pricing. And/or talk to a local spring shop and see what they can offer.
Yes, an AAL will stiffen up the ride proportionate to the AAL's specs.

CA-RJ

Expo Approved™
I didn't but just checked out their website. $695 for a pair of leafs w/o bushings. Yikes! That's too rich for this budget build.

red87

Adventurer
Here's a picture of my old 87 with a topper and OME springs with 1.5" lift in the front. Hope that helps you figure out the rake.

DSCF0939.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles