Deep snow over night

Ghillie_Ohio

Observer
How would you upgrade your truck for deep snow over night ? . Where i will be camping their is the possibility of getting a foot or more over night and snow drifts . This truck is also used for commuting to larger cities (don't want to hurt mpg too much ) or is it something i have to accept .
Larger tires , lift the truck , fenders , winch , anythings else . Do i have to dig a path to allow the truck to get up to speed ? Thinking of air lift to raise the truck for my weekend camping trips , then lower truck when spring arrives . Change the tires out to a smaller size ? Thanks .

theicecreampeople

Adventurer
i would start with snow chains ..dont think you need too get crazy with your rig for snow ,airlift etc ..driving is the key ..

Last edited:

NothingClever

Explorer
Once again, Subaru Outbacks can be found in the craziest places in stock trim. My assumption is your truck is 4WD. If that's the case, I don't think you need to do much given the clearance is probably greater than almost all MYs of Outbacks. Other than lift the windshield wipers on your truck so you don't have to deal with them being frozen to the windshield in the morning, I think you'll be fine. That and perhaps a battery heater OR a block heater would be some other options I'd consider. What do all the other people do where you live? Do they appear to have modified their vehicles in some special way for the particular climate and terrain where you live? Not trying to be flippant....just a subscriber to the "When in Rome, do as the Romans do." philosophy.

Wait, are my quotation marks out of place? Crap, that's another tree landing.

owhiting

Supporting Sponsor
Deep snow

I live at 8000 feet in Colorado and we can get 1 to 2 feet over night from time to time. My truck is an f250 4x4 with 285's and tire chains do the trick. A little weight in the back also helps. I only chain up in the worst of conditions most times a foot does not qualify for chains.

Ghillie_Ohio

Observer
Where i go they do . I going to go with wider tires (not sure on which brand , etc / height ) , air source for lower and raises air pressure , tire chains ? , winch , shovel . The weather around Dolly sod can be extreme . Not sure what to do about the bed . To add weight or not . I do add weight for street driving . For snow wheeling you want to go as light as possible (not sure how much i will be doing this , but i have to be prepared for anything when it comes do Dolley sod ) . My guess i will have to make a test run or two to see to see if i want scale back or not .

NothingClever

Explorer
Yep, it's a pretty good website although it's had some disappointing turns lately. I haven't found another website that has as wide a range of topics to choose from for vehicle-based travelling but the website seems to have developed more into a crossroads for vendors than travelers. It's a disappointing testimony when a girl can ride her bicycle down the length of Africa, post about it and folks still show more interest in the latest bumper unveiling in their backyard.

Man, I sound like a real sourpuss :D .

Anyways, coupla sandbags over the wheelwells and some tire chains will get you a long ways, IMO.

Best of luck and let us know how it goes this winter!

jcbrandon

Explorer
If the bed of the truck is open and a foot of snow falls overnight you will have several hundred pounds of additional weight right over the rear wheels when you need it. In my experience, a foot of freshies doesn't require any extra prep or work to get rolling. Can you engage your four-wheel-drive system when the truck is stationary? If not, then do that when you park it at night. And don't set the parking brake; sometimes it can freeze up.

If the overnight snowfall is so deep that you can't get moving then your best move is to start digging. Usually a path a foot or two in front of each front tire is enough to gain momentum and get out of the driveway. This assumes a level parking space. A slope changes everything.

keezer37

Explorer
Well, if you live in Lima, you're no stranger to snow, assuming you didn't recently relocate to Lima from some warm weather climate.

If you have to choose between siping and an aggressive lug of a mud terrain, I'd go with the siping. You have to get to and from your destination. I sure wouldn't do it on a mud terrain on icy winter roads. Personally, I'd get BF Goodrich All Terrains and chains. If you do get chains, practice putting them on at home. It can take awhile the first time you do it.
Depending on how heavy the snow is, once it's higher than your ground clearance, it's gonna start slowing you down. You can only plow so much before the snow wins.

Make sure you've got comms and every warm article of clothing you own.

Keezer in Medina

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles