What makes the best off road trailer

skunkriver

Observer
Again in 2012 we will judge off road trailers on and off road at the Iowa All Breeds Jeep Show ( sept. 22-23 ), Im looking for some help making a list of criteria to judge trailers by.
We will judge on features and also performance on the off road course .
So , got any input ?

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
Off the top of my head...

1. Weight, the lighter the better
2. Dimensions, super big is silly in most off-road situations I would imagine?
3. Suspension Design and articulation behind tow vehicle (tracking)
4. Storage and access to said storage
5. Build quality and ruggedness
6. Support and spares accessibility
7. Water/Dust proof
8. Construction materials and expected longevity

Um... probably tons more.

Zubicon

Adventurer
Functionality, without that all you have is an overgrown tool box

Suspension design is overated, we've been using a simplistic leaf sprung system on Military Jeep Trailers for nearly a century with no issues. Same goes for all the money spent on recreating the hitch for articulation, simply use a pintle hook and call it good. Got to include an ARB Fridge, Power with inverter, RTT, kitchen, camode, water tanks with shower. I mean really if you are going to go to the length of hauling a trailer you might as well have all the amentities or simply pack all your gear in a backpack and through it in your backseat.

Last edited:

skunkriver

Observer
what is the happy medium in length and cubic storage 140" OAL ?
what is max and min. in distance from jeep rear axel to trailer axel ?
ground clearance vs roll center ?
how many gallons water storage ?
how many gallons fuel storage ?
should there be 2 catagories *basecamp and * rock crawler ?
tires?
bumpers and armor?
brakes ?
lights?

youwillforget

Adventurer
Width should not exceed tow vehicle
Length should exceed 3/4 length of tow vehicle
Tongue should be adjustable length
Extended for long distance on road or flat terrain
Short for fire roads, trails or hills
Height should not be higher then tow vehicle
Axel width and bolt pattern should match tow vehicle
Wheels and tires should match tow vehicle
Spare Mounted on tow vehicle, or forward of axel if on trailer
Any heavy permanently mounted items should be mounted above or in front of axel
Combined weight and volume of removable items should not exceed maximum capacity of Tow Vehicle
Trailer should not exceed towing capacity of tow vehicle GVW or tongue weight
Brakes if the trailer is over 1000 pounds loaded.
Rear receiver tube or shackle tabs for recovery

For those of you that have never towed a trailer there is a lot more to towing a trailer than matching the 2" ball to 2" coupler. Research, research, research, rent from Uhaul load your gear then drag the trailer all over town in and out of parking lots, through traffic, up and down the steepest hill you can find, on gravel roads, through a field or sand, accelerate as fast as you can, abrupt stops, off a low shoulder, when near an air source let the air out of the tire and see if your jack fits under the axel, when you are all done slide through the car wash and clean up the Uhaul best you can and take it back. Then rethink all of your ideas and see how they fit into your gained experience. I am 36 I was towing my grandfathers 26 foot travel trailer when I was 16 and had my learners permit. I was driving his tractors in the fields and woods at 12 with trailers filled with firewood and all manner of junk, I have hung them up on trees and sunk them to their axels in mud to the point that the tractor had to be winched out. I have watched my dad and grandpa over loaded them and bent axels, burn up bearings, blow out many, many tires. Just my .02 cents.

McZippie

Walmart Adventure Camper
How about a Flying Jeeps while towing a trailer contest.

jeep_flying_37mm_sm.jpg

indiedog

Adventurer
Camper Trailer Australia magazine www.campertraileraustralia.com.au has a very good list of criteria for judging its selection of camper trailer of the year. The five sections include; Offroad Performance, Bushability, Family Friendliness, Home Comforts/Ease of Use, and Value. There are a number of factors that then go into each of these.

If you do a search you should find the info.

bob

Adventurer
More of personal desire as far as I am concerned. What is needed and what isn't is up to the builder/buyer. What is important to some means nothing to others.

Size of the trailer is not a question, what works best for one will never work for another.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder I guess.

Built them both ways bare bones, light and some love them.
Built them large with every option and little heavier and some love them.

I honestly can not give you a list.

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
... What is important to some means nothing to others. ...what works best for one will never work for another.
I agree completely, however there must be some common ground with which they can be fairly judged. Basics for an offroad trailer.
Ground clearance would be one. This will likely be more due to tire sizes available. Breakover angle and the vulnerability of the under side would be deciding factors too. That said, a tall trailer should not win the category. Center of Gravity should be part of the equation.
Suspension does need to be a part of it. Shocks are needed. Tires and springs should fall into this too as it all needs to work well together. Leaf springs have indeed served many miles on military offroad trailers.
Body Tub or shell it needs to weather the climate and conditions. Shielding for the front where mud and rock are thrown. Steps and sliders. How easy is it to load and deploy. Is the interior sealed? How about clean-up after a trip? Lots to consider.
Hitch. Sure Pintles articulate, but they can also be harsh and noisy. A ball coupler offers less articulation, but is nice and quiet on the trail.
Electrical system, including lighting. Some will have the frills of a communication system and entertainment, but even just good running and stop lamps are a nice thing.
Kitchen. Rated from a shelf to put your stove on all the way to the built in garbage disposal model.
Bunk. Sleeping amenities. Flop a tent beside it, or crawl into a ready made bed. Plenty of range. How long does it take to be ready for some Zzzz?
Cooler Extra points for a fridge. A good ice chest is nothing to be ignored though. Both would be a bonus.
Water Tanks , jugs, bottles, drinking , washing, as well as the manner in which the water is dispersed. Quantity and convenience would be advantages.
Cost In economic times such as these the dollar can rule the recreation activities. Money spent traveling is better than that spent on the trailer parked in the driveway. A trailer with options to be added later, or as needed might be a good option. Buy the bare bones and add to it in time rather than taking out a thirty year mortgage.

There should be some consideration for the KISS offroad trailer. Simple is many times best. Also some consideration of the Glamper. Sure not everyone will pull the "Taj Mahal" or even afford it, but they sure are fun to ogle.

I also agree that there would need to be different categories. Rock crawler to forest roads. Base camp to light cargo.

It will be fun to see what list you come up with.

Last edited:

bob

Adventurer
I would say there would have to be categories. Also the judging would require representives from each category type for this to be a fair judging.

Simple box trailer, ie military type, non sleeping

Utility box trailer, ie several areas for packing equipment, kitchen, fridge areas with roof top tent

Modified utility type trailers, home built customization

The glamper type, set up for comfort, but trail worthy

skunkriver

Observer
It is a fun event

The Iowa all Breeds Jeep Show & 4X4 Swapmeet is held in Nevada Iowa in sept. ( sept 22-23, 2012 )
The host club is the Jeep Outdoor Club Of Central Iowa. www.jocci.com
We are trying to build a event in the center of the country , it seems that there is alot of events on the left and right coasts but there is a void and a hunger for an event in the heartland.
This is not an exclusive jeep event ,all jeep/safari type vehicles are welcome plus military vehicles.
2011 was the first year we added expedition/off road camper trailers to the mix, we had a few show up mostly home builts .
We are a little slow to get our website up but should have something up by spring.
We invite all trailer manufacturers to attend , the trailer show/judging is generating good interest.
for more info you can call 515-708-0080

PS. the input we are getting here for judging , is GREAT !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles