1990 Fuso FG 4x4

BobbyB

Hello all, I recently have purchased a 1990 FG and I'm trying to hunt down a service manual or at least ask some questions about wiring for the rear brakes (to get them working) and a few questions about the PTO (as it has a dump bed) any help would be great. Thank you in advance!

BobbyB

100+ views and no one can give me some insight....? I've found this link that has the factory service manual on CD, but I am always leery about them... Link HERE

Are there any other forums that cover these trucks???

FusoFG

Adventurer
I have a 93 that had a dump body. All that's left is the PTO. I have the 3 set factory manuals that I paid $350 for (there wasn't a cd copy available when I purchased them) so it sounds like someone scanned them and put them on cd.
The price sounds about right but you might want to call and ask if they are seachable or just pictures of the manual pages.
What are your questions?
What do mean by "wiring for the rear brakes"?

BobbyB

FusoFG thank you for the reply. Would you be interested in selling the manuals. Part of me wants to have a hard copy so that I can look at them while I am working on the truck. And I agree, I'll have to find out too if they can be searched for which topic. Would you be willing to part with them for a decent price or are you looking for what you paid.
---
I guess my major questions are about the brakes. I have no tail lights at all, and I need to trace them. Do the rear brake lights come from the back left of the cab on the frame rails? Also, on the topic of brakes, this thing stops, but not well. The peddle goes almost all the way to the floor, but it will stop. If you pump them once more then the peddle is a little bit better. I have not bleed them yet (the guy I bought the truck off seems to think that is all they need) but will try. I also think that it might be an adjustment thing. Do you think that it would be better to check for adjustment first, is there anything weird that I need to know before tearing into this brake system?
---
Also, as I saw you noted that you had a dump body on your Fuso... My PTO level is VERY hard to pull up on in-order to engage the PTO, I'm thinking it needs LUBED very well as it might have been neglected in its former life... Any thoughts? Again, thank you for taking the time to look at this!

FusoFG

Adventurer
FusoFG thank you for the reply. Would you be interested in selling the manuals. Part of me wants to have a hard copy so that I can look at them while I am working on the truck. And I agree, I'll have to find out too if they can be searched for which topic. Would you be willing to part with them for a decent price or are you looking for what you paid.

Sorry, my 93 only has 117,000 miles on it and I'm keeping it until I die so I need the factory manuals. The CD with the 2004 manuals is only about $100 and there's a dealer in Cleveland - wouldn't be perfect, but might be better than nothing.
---
I guess my major questions are about the brakes. I have no tail lights at all, and I need to trace them. Do the rear brake lights come from the back left of the cab on the frame rails? Also, on the topic of brakes, this thing stops, but not well. The peddle goes almost all the way to the floor, but it will stop. If you pump them once more then the peddle is a little bit better. I have not bleed them yet (the guy I bought the truck off seems to think that is all they need) but will try. I also think that it might be an adjustment thing. Do you think that it would be better to check for adjustment first, is there anything weird that I need to know before tearing into this brake system?

Yes. the brake lights, tail lights, license plate lites, rear marker lights and backup lights run down the inside of the driver side chassis rail and then across the frame to the passenger rear corner. Mine ends in 2 connectors that plugged into the factory tail light assemblies, but the body builder removed those and wired the connectors to lights mounedt on the body.
I will look for the wiring diagram in my manual and maybe I will be able to scan it and post as a picture.
Don't have much advice about the brakes. Mine are original and work very well. They may have been adjusted but that would have been done during service, I've never done it myself.
The pumping might have something to do with the vacumm assist. On mine there is a pump and a storage tank. A leak somewhere might explain your symptoms.
As far as adjusting them, I believe someone on this forum was asking about adjusting the brakes and after doing it said it was pretty easy. You might want to search for that. It wasn't too long ago.
Bleeding can't hurt, but if the truck has a lot of miles you might want to change the brake fluid before bleeding them.

---
Also, as I saw you noted that you had a dump body on your Fuso... My PTO level is VERY hard to pull up on in-order to engage the PTO, I'm thinking it needs LUBED very well as it might have been neglected in its former life... Any thoughts? Again, thank you for taking the time to look at this!

The dump body was removed when I bought the truck new in 1993. The only thing left is the PTO, the shaft sticking out of the side of the transmission and a cable pull to engage it from the driver's compartment. It looks like the cable is attached to a homemade lever on the side of the transmission that moves something in the transmission to engage it. I think I engaged it a couple of times when I first got the truck because I was thinking of driving an air compressor, but I haven't done anything with it in years.
I'll look at my manual and see if there is anything useful that would be simple to scan. I know the manual sounds expensive, but without it your pretty much guessing at how to fix things. I bought it because with it, I figured any good mechanic could repair the truck whereever I was when it needed servicing.

FusoFG

Adventurer
There wasn't anything in my manual about the PTO on the manual transmission. There was a page or two in the Automatic transmission section, but the PTO didn't look anything like mine.
Is your transmission a manual or an automatic?
The secition on changing the fluids and bleeding the brakes looked very standard. It showed the front brakes done first, the rear brakes and then the brake bypass valve mounted on the inside drivers side frame rail done last.
Adjusting the brakes looked very standard as well. It just noted that there were 2 brake adjusters on each wheel you just turned the adjusters until the wheel wouldn't turn and then backed the adjuster off 4 or 5 clicks until there was no drag.
I scanned the wiring diagram for the manual transmission version into a PDF. If I can't post it here on the forum. Send me a PM with your email address and I will send it to you.
I couldn't upload it, maybe it was too big. Send me an email address.

BobbyB

First off, FusoFG, THANK YOU VERY MUCH for the reply. you have given me some great insight as to what to look for and I just really want to thank you for taking the time to write back. Depending on time, I am considering documenting all the work that I perform so that others that have a Fuso truck might find it useful. My truck has 90,000 on it and was serviced quite regularly and I am in the process of going through all the paper work to see what was done. I know that the first things I am going to tackle will be in this following order:
1.) Brake lights / marker lights
2.) Bleeding brakes, going over booster / checking on why I have to pump the peddle to get a better feel
3.) PTO cable and linkage greasing.

This is the first truck that I have driven where the shifting is done through a series of linkages and cables, I guess I've been spoiled with shifters mounted right to the transmission. Does your truck shift okay? Mine seems to have some slop in it (the shifter), I don't know if that is normal or not, but it seems to feel solid in gear and the clutch does not slip...

I think I am going to take your advice and get the service books. I plan on doing the same thing as you and keep this thing for a long time. Is there any way that you could scan and post some information on the brakes, and maybe even wiring, like you stated above. I understand that it takes time and whatnot, so I appreciate whenever you get to it! In the meantime I'm going to look around and try and find a little bit better of a price, I'm also going to my local Fuso dealer and see if they have any service books that they might want to unload cheap or at least point me in the right direction....

Having said that... I'll also have to ask them about my heater. Since this truck was used for plowing, the heater is toast. They must have run it all the time, plugging up the core, or at least, I hope that is what the issue is. I was told that a new thermostat was installed, but that did not seem to do anything. I won't be running the truck too much in the winter time, but when I do, it would be nice to have some heat.

Thank you VERY much for the heads up with where the brake wiring goes, I'm going to try and crawl under this thing during the up and coming weekend and figure out some stuff... This will be made much more easy once my "powerprobe" gets here (if you do not know what it is, Google it and take a look, great for chasing electrical issues).

Looking back at your post, you stated that there was a dealer in Cleveland that has the Service Manual on CD for a 2004. Did these trucks change much over the year(s)? My old man is in the Cleveland area and I can have him swing by. Doing a quick Google search, it looks like there are quite a few repair shops that service these trucks, which one did you find that has the manual on CD?

Anyway, thanks again for taking the time to read this and scan photos if you choose to do so, they would be VERY helpful. I'm going to keep a good record of what I do with this truck and keep updating this thread so that others might find it useful. I cannot believe that there are not other resources on the net for these great trucks!

blackduck

Explorer
Bobby
my apologies, i was going to respond yesterday but someone dropped work on my desk that took priority (but i suppose i have to earn a livung somehow)
as far as your wiring problem i assume youve checked the basics (fuses, globes connections etc). If thats all good the next easiest thing is to grab your miltimeter and chase voltage through the system
start at the brake light wire on the tail light housing and check for voltage all the way back to the fuse box, dont forget about the switch on the brake pedal
sooner or later youll find power then you can isolate the problem. Chances are it will be somthing minor (it always is)
If your brake pedal fades and the trucks 22 years old it might be time for a brake rebuild (new seals and fluid at least)
performance is great but if you cant stop your just bug splat on the windscreen
A workshop manual may be helpful but FG's are farm machinery everythings pretty basic on them just trace the systems and the faults will drop in your lap

BobbyB

Some pictures (everyone likes pics) :D

Sorry about the random order...
---
fuso1.jpg
(scary wiring I have to deal with)
---
fuso2.jpg
(I HOPE these are some brake lights...?)
---
fuso3.jpg
(trans)
---
fuso4.jpg
(pto engagment?)
---
fuso5.jpg
(she's a beaut Clark!)
---
fuso6.jpg
(pump for Dump Box)
---
fuso7.jpg
(exhaust that I need to repair...)
---
fuso8.jpg
(my hard to pull PTO lever...)

BobbyB

Bobby
my apologies, i was going to respond yesterday but someone dropped work on my desk that took priority (but i suppose i have to earn a livung somehow)
as far as your wiring problem i assume youve checked the basics (fuses, globes connections etc). If thats all good the next easiest thing is to grab your miltimeter and chase voltage through the system
start at the brake light wire on the tail light housing and check for voltage all the way back to the fuse box, dont forget about the switch on the brake pedal
sooner or later youll find power then you can isolate the problem. Chances are it will be somthing minor (it always is)
If your brake pedal fades and the trucks 22 years old it might be time for a brake rebuild (new seals and fluid at least)
performance is great but if you cant stop your just bug splat on the windscreen
A workshop manual may be helpful but FG's are farm machinery everythings pretty basic on them just trace the systems and the faults will drop in your lap

Thank you for the reply! I am going to do exactly as you (and others) have stated and start with the basics... Checking wires and busting out my Fluke and Power Probe 3 to check everything out. That is the thing that I love about this truck, it reminds my a lot of my diesel tractor, and for the most part you are correct, things are pretty basic... I can't wait to get some time away from work (maybe this weekend) to get down to business... I'll be posting what I can, when I can for others... I hope that some where down the road there will be someone like me that will find this thread and it'll help them! That is the best part about the internet! Thank you again guys! I'm lucky I found this site!

BobbyB

There wasn't anything in my manual about the PTO on the manual transmission. There was a page or two in the Automatic transmission section, but the PTO didn't look anything like mine.
Is your transmission a manual or an automatic?
The secition on changing the fluids and bleeding the brakes looked very standard. It showed the front brakes done first, the rear brakes and then the brake bypass valve mounted on the inside drivers side frame rail done last.
Adjusting the brakes looked very standard as well. It just noted that there were 2 brake adjusters on each wheel you just turned the adjusters until the wheel wouldn't turn and then backed the adjuster off 4 or 5 clicks until there was no drag.
I scanned the wiring diagram for the manual transmission version into a PDF. If I can't post it here on the forum. Send me a PM with your email address and I will send it to you.
I couldn't upload it, maybe it was too big. Send me an email address.

PM Sent!

Trans is manual. Thank you for the information on the bleeding, I was going to go from furthest away, but I'm glad you told me what it stated! I'll be looking for that email, when you get time... No rush! Thank you again!

BobbyB

By the way, looking through all the docs and records I got for this truck, the dump bed was after market, and it looks like this was the second bed they put on. The pictures of my trans could only be taken when I removed the HUGE tool box that was bolted to the frame rail. I'm going to resize it so that I can see out of the back window...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles