$10k Budget help me find a new rig

scrubber3

Not really here
I'd go with either a 2nd gen Xterra or a 2nd or even a 3rd gen Montero. Only issue with the 2nd gen Montero is the timing belt. Most people either didn't care to do proper maintenance and they have broken. I understand you issues with the chrysler products since I was a technician for years. I will say that the newer power ram with the cummings is really great but not at all in your budget.

Last edited:

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
Really leaning towards a Montero Sport with a 3.5l... well under $10k, good gas mileage, better power than similar year offerings.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Some of the Montero Sports had an AWD option which is pretty slick. Not sure about the details, but I guess it works similar to the multi-mode T-case on the 1999-later 4runners.

I've owned a Mitsubishi Montero before (a 1990) and it was a great vehicle. I owned it for 7 years and put about 125,000 miles on it, the longest I've ever owned any vehicle and the most miles I've ever put on one vehicle. Very reliable, never left me stranded and always did what I needed it to do, with the exception of not being able to climb up Gray Mesa at Hole-In-The-Rock trail in Utah in 1999 (and that was probably more because of the small tires I had than the vehicle itself.)

BTW, I was just in Costa Rica and saw a ton of Montero Sports down there. Some of them were called the "Nativa" but others were called Montero Sport. I think some of them had a turbo diesel engine and the hood had a scoop, but otherwise they appeared to be identical to our Monty Sports.

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
Ya they seem to be extremely solid... the more I read about them the more I am impressed and really suprised they are not way more popular.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Ya they seem to be extremely solid... the more I read about them the more I am impressed and really suprised they are not way more popular.

Mitsubishi has a very small presence in the US, most likely explanation. The reality is that Mistubishi does fine selling to the rest of the world and their investment in the US market is minimal. Considering the cost of complying with US emissions and safety laws (which are signficantly different from the rest of the world) I can't blame them.

The Montero Sport/Nativa was probably the most common SUV I saw on my recent trip to Costa Rica.

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
Picked up a 01 Montero Sport 3.5xs....looks and runs like it rolled off the showroom floor. Pics/specs to follow tomorrow. Thanks for the info/help guys!

sniderexciderr

Observer
personally, i would love to drop my trail whale and pick up an old fj40 but i enjoy tinkering with the old stuff. but you can find cherokees a dime a dozen and they have crazy aftermarket support. i know here in italy there are a lot of mitsubishi suv's rolling around but i don't really have any experience with one. most i see are the pajero don't know if you can get one in the states or not. but they look like they would have lots of potential.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Good choice. I always liked the Monty Sport. You will probably enjoy the vehicle but expect some frustration when you go to look for any accessories for it. It comes with the territory. I do think there are some suspension lifts out there but of course with torsion bars there is a practical limit on how much you can lift it.

I was on a well known trail in Summit County a few years back (Red Cone) and saw a wicked SAS'd Monty Sport. But you will probably find that unless you want to get into the rock crawling scene, the stock suspension is quite adequate.

Based on its looks you can expect a lot of people to assume it's a 4runner. :D

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
Ya already found sliders, full OME suspension (1.5" ish lift), arb front bumper, arb rear locker, and a couple of snorkels.

Really that's all I want so I'm golden! Does stink not having a huge online support system like yotatech and other forums.

Other than that I plan on leaving it alone and enjoying it, I'm really happy with it so far and to get into a comparable 4runner would have cost over $10k...I plan on picking up an fj60 in the next couple of years anyways as full on resto mod project anyways (I already miss having a toyota badge in the stable haha).

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Ya already found sliders, full OME suspension (1.5" ish lift), arb front bumper, arb rear locker, and a couple of snorkels.

Really that's all I want so I'm golden! Does stink not having a huge online support system like yotatech and other forums.

Other than that I plan on leaving it alone and enjoying it, I'm really happy with it so far and to get into a comparable 4runner would have cost over $10k...I plan on picking up an fj60 in the next couple of years anyways as full on resto mod project anyways (I already miss having a toyota badge in the stable haha).

I agree with you 100% on Toyotas being overpriced for what you get. If you don't mind my asking, what did you pay for your Sport? And does it have the multi-mode transfer case (allows you to run 4wd on the streets?) I think some of the Monteros did but I don't know which ones.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz