$10k Budget help me find a new rig

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
Ok so I'm trying to find a new vehicle to help me move from Medford OR to Ft. Collins CO. I love my 86 runner but it struggles pulling it's own weight.
My needs:
Leave in 3 weeks :Wow1: so I need it quick
Tow a 2500 or less lb trailer comfortably and reliably to CO (one time)
Pull ultra reliable dd duty once in CO
Get 20mpg+ (or close) on the hwy (not towing)
Under $10k purchase price
Fairly easy to work on
Decent offroad (I've been happy with my 1st gen 4runner on 31's but was planning on long travel suspension with 33's and a rear e-locker)

Choices I've found:
3rd gen 4runner, high initial price and hard to find under 100k miles (found a 02 with e-locker for $12,000 with 94k miles)
1st gen xterra/frontier with 3.3 - don't much about these but the 3.3 seems marginal as far as towing power and mpg (supercharged helps but worries me on reliablility/mpg's)
2nd gen xterra - seem to have lost value very fast, can find 05's with around 100k miles for under $10k - again don't know much
Tacoma w/ 3.4 - tough, reliable, easy to find e-locker around here again high initial price, hard to find unmolested one and under 100k miles
98ish trooper with 3.5 - Only experience with izuzu has been bad reliability and oil burning, bad mpg's
Montero - difficult to find, mitsu worries me on reliability (only experiance is other friends 3000gt's and eclipses etc.)
Montero Sport - know nothing about these, people seem to be against them but I'm not sure why ^ see above
Liberty diesel - hard to find in this area, parts seem hard to get

I am open to other stuff but no full size rigs. Chrysler transmissions worry me...

DoWorkSon

Wrangler.
Nissan Pathfinder/Infiniti QX4.
2000-ish Tahoe Z71(not too much bigger than a Trooper).
Explorer Sportrac (my vote).

jeffryscott

2006 Rally Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
Suzuki Vitara/Chevy Tracker ... On the small side, but no different size wise in the interior than the Liberty. Great little 4x4 with good capability and good reliability. I've owned one, amd the older Sidekick, both great rigs.

There has been talk here recently of the Kia Sorento as well, no personal experience with them. But they look good on paper.

I am on my second Trooper and third Isuzu and no complaints with any of them.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
You might look at a Ford Ranger. It will conform to all of your requirements except MPG. If you get one with a 5 speed/3.0 combo you might get close to 20 on the highway, if you take it easy. I had that drivetrain in 2wd and I was able to get 23 - 25 on the highway by babying it. In the city I was around 18-19. Again, this was a 2wd, though.

I think your mileage and towing requirements are somewhat in conflict. It's going to be hard to find a vehicle that can tow a 2500lb load that distance and still return you 20mpg when not towing. For one thing, I think automatics are probably better tow rigs whereas a manual will almost always get you better MPG.

You can certainly find a 3rd gen 4runner for your price range but you are correct, you won't find one with under 100k. The good news is that a 4runner in decent condition is good for 200k miles easy, and quite a few of them have more than that. You can expect 17-19 MPG from a non-lifted 4runner if you are running a decent tire size. I would stay away from anything that's lifted or highly modified - the problem is you don't know whether the mods were done carefully or sloppily, and mods often mean a vehicle that was used "hard." What you want is a mall-crawler that still has the factory running boards. There are a lot of those in CO.

Final thought might be a Ford Explorer. I know they don't have the best off-road "cred" on ExPo but there are plenty of folks out there running Explorers on all kinds of trails, parts for modification are available and they've been in production for a long time. Plus prices are very low. I think 2002 or 2003 was the last year they had a solid rear axle (after that they went to IRS), and from a pure appearance standpoint, that 1997-2002 or 2003 Explorer is the best looking, IMO. Manual transmissions were available for most years. Not sure about MPG but should be in the mid- to high-teens.

Here's the thing about MPG: If you save money on the initial purchase, it will leave more $$ in your pocket for gas. Just something to think about. ;)

Japes

Displaced Texan
I currently have a 99 Trooper and I would NOT tow anything with it, personally going from a 04 Taco to a Trooper I feel like a grandpa. The Trooper is a fine rig but it will not meet your MPG or Tow requirements. (In my experience)

Are you taking your 4runner with you to keep as a rig for wheeling?

I have one idears you left off the list.

05 Trailblazer. V8 or I6 , Boxed Frame, Tad bit larger then Xterrible and Trooper, G80 Option, Cheap to get into, 6700 Tow, 20 MPGS Highway, and I think they look great with a lift and tires! It wont perform as your 4runner does but in my area you can get a nice TB for around 5k, that leaves alot of room for you to make the suspension , tire, anything else upgrades you desire.

http://www.offroadtb.com/

My .02 from a Trooper owner!

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the information so far I have crossed any nissan and the troopers off my list.

I am not taking the 4runner with me, in fact I need to sell it first before purchasing anything as I refuse to get upside down in debt and am trying to minimize my belongings.

I am also selling my first vehicle; a 93 toyota 2wd that my dad bought new in 93 and I learned to drive in when I was 11.....that one will be REALLY hard to let go.

If I can't get really close to 4k for my 4runner it's just not worth selling and I'll drive it to CO with some clothes and my dog.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
I wouldn't shy away from 100-150K mileage trucks. If the body is excellent, interior is ok, and it runs good... Plenty of trucks in that mileage range in absolute excellent condition. Even looking farely fresh underneath on the chassis sometimes. You'll be replacing the shocks, springs, brakes, alt, starter, anyways as you build.

I stay away from excessive rust under the body and on the chassis and torn up interiors. But I have no problem with replacing seats/covers and carpet.

I think a Toyota Tacoma or Tundra may be the best vehicle on your list for what it sounds like you want to do. And they are everywhere. Too bad they cost as much as F350 despite the fact that a 1 ton truck is made from 2000 pounds more material. Am I the only one that wonders how a Tacoma often has a higher sticker price than the same year Tundra?

Ignoring your fuel mileage expectation:
Jeep TJ Especially the longer model
Nissan Xterra
Ford F250/350XL short cabs
Later model Suburbans

Just plain crazy:
Old '80s Chevy K15000/2500. There are a ton of short cab K1500's with Dana60's or better, bolted in for sale in my area. The old good Burbans are kinda rare though. Folks have been holding on to them for years as local use farm trucks, but now can't afford extra vehicles sitting around the farm.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior