Need help for street legal modifications

Flagster

Expedition Leader
I am in AZ and am looking to make a crf450x street legal...can anybody point me in the right direction as to what I need...mirror(s)?, lights(?), etc...just looking to be able to jump on and off the roads while hitting the dirt...

Frank

Explorer
Some places like motorcycle super store will sell a kit to convert the bike. It will come with the whole ball of wax, all in one swipe. Give 'em a call

sandalscout

Adventurer
Yep, Baja Designs is probably the most popular kits for converting a bike. No ideas on legalities in AZ though, sorry.

tmac

Adventurer
I just bought a 450x and went to a third party DMV provider. I registered it as a 90% dirt, 10% street. What that did was get me a MC plate so now I can ride on the street. I also payed for the OHV sticker while I was there.
There was no inspection of the bike, just signed a form saying that it has been modified for street use. Is it "legal"? Not really, but it is plated and I would not have any fear of riding forest service roads or short distance on pavement. I will be getting insurance as well. Here is a link to AZ game and fish which oddly enough has the requirements you need to be "street" legal. http://www.azgfd.gov/outdoor_recreation/ohvFAQ.shtml#8. It also explains all requirements for riding a OHV in AZ. AZ is very lax when it comes to making a OHV street legal. I even bought my 15 year old daughter a XR100 and plated that as well.
Take a look CRF's only as you can buy a hydraulic brake light switch and a LED brake light/tail light for about $40. You already have a headlight and you can find a battery powered horn. Mirrors are cheap.
You may need a light for the plate if you ride at night.
You can do it for a lot less then buying a Baja designs kit.
http://www.crfsonly.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/138_143/products_id/1350
http://www.crfsonly.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/138_143/products_id/1272
http://www.crfsonly.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/138_141/products_id/1556
link for third party providers - http://www.azmvdservices.com/locations-hours.html
Here is the address for the third party provider up in Flagstaff -
ARIZONA LOAN SOLUTIONS MOTOR VEHICLE CENTER
4401 N HWY 89 STE 1
FLAGSTAFF AZ 86004
Phone: (928) 527-3757
Hours:
MON 09:00 AM -- 05:00 AM
TUES 09:00 AM -- 05:00 AM
WED 09:00 AM -- 05:00 AM
THURS 09:00 AM -- 05:00 AM
FRI 09:00 AM -- 05:00 AM
SAT 10:00 AM -- 03:00 PM

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

sandalscout

Adventurer
Wow, AZ must be lax. Tennessee is also, at least away from the cities, but not that lax. Crazy that you all have third party DMV providers.

ravenranger

EQUIPMENT REQUIREMENTS

What equipment is required to operate my OHV in Arizona?
(Some of these equipment requirements are specified in older statutes that are already part of Arizona State Law.)

For those under 18, a properly fitted and fastened U.S. DOT-approved helmet. (ARS 28-1179B)
Brakes. (ARS 28-1179A.1)
Lighted head and taillights if operated between one half-hour after sunset and one half-hour before sunrise. (ARS 28-1179A.2)
A muffler or noise dissipative device that prevents sound above 96 decibels. (ARS 28-1179A.3)
A United States Department of Agriculture (USDA)-approved spark arrestor device. (ARS 28-1179A.4)
Eye Protection for operators of vehicles not equipped with a windshield. (ARS 28-964A)
License plate securely fastened to the rear of the OHV and clearly visible. (ARS 28-2512D.1&2)
Rearview mirror. (ARS 28-964B)
Brake light and at least one red rear reflector (if taillight does not reflect). (ARS 28-927)
Seat and footrests for the operator and passenger if vehicle is designed to carry a passenger. (ARS 28-964B)
Sand dunes and certain areas designated by a land managing agency may require a safety flag.
The flag shall be at least 6 by 12 inches and attached to the OHV and flying at least 8 feet above the surface of the level ground. (28-1179A.5)

To street legal your OHV you will also need:
License plate light. (ARS 28-925C)
Horn audible from a distance of at least 200 feet. (ARS 28-954A)
Proper insurance. (ARS 28-4142A)
Emissions: Certain areas may also require to have your OHV emissions tested. (ARS 49-542C&D)

From the Arizona OHV website: http://www.azgfd.gov/outdoor_recreation/ohvFAQ.shtml#7

Looks like, to be street legal, you need headlight, taillight, rear reflector, mirror, brake light, horn, license plate light.

Last edited:

timh

Explorer
My 450x is street legal and I have ridden on the road quite a bit. I put a ball swivel mirror on the bars that I can simply fold down and out of the way when not on the road. You can't see out of the mirror but it keeps me legal. My bike came with the Baja Designs taillight/license plate mount kit and it work really well. It also had a horn installed already when I bought it. With these items I have ridden past law enforcement many times and never been pulled over or questioned, even when I forget to flip up my mirror.

As far as the registration goes, it depends on how much road riding you are going to do. The best way to go is to buy the OHV sticker for $25, and for the extra $3 you can have it registered as "primarily off road use." This allows you to get a MC plate and makes you street legal, it is also MUCH cheaper then normal street legal registration. Of course you do have to have it insured also.

Hope this helps.:roost:

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
I've used several of the kits (which is the way to go). The best and also the cheapest is the Rocky Mountain ATV "Tusk" brand kit that is about $150. It doesn't come with a light but the Baja Designs light is crap anyway so you want to buy a better one anyway, or use your stock light if your bike came with one just for "appearances."

Hope it helps.

Judoka

Learning To Live
Easy

Baja Designs does have a kit, and it is the most popular. As long as you have a brake light, a tail light, horn, and one mirror you are good leagally. BUT.... My XR600R has the Baja Designs kit, and if you dont swap out your stator, or at least set up a battery kit, you may be blowing lightbulds often. My tail light goes out often. This can lead,(and has for me) to being pulled over, and possibly ticketed. Also when hitting the brake the headlight will dim to a glow for a brief second initially. No matter how brief, it is un-nerving to say the least in the twisties. If you spend the money on a dual core stator and go LED tail light you can have plenty of power to run the lights, and additional lighting in he front, which you will need really. Of course this also requires a voltage regulator. It costs a bit, but if this is your escape goat you dont want to skimp on the things that keep you safe and alive. Oh, and remember that the brakelight will only be activated by back brake and not front.

zidaro

Explorer
I have the BD kit on my X. It works perfect and was an easy install by me at home without issue. I could have put together a kit on my own for cheaper, but the time would not have been worth the trouble and the BD kit components are top quality. Their new super low profile blinkers are sweet. No issues with stator on the X, and the BD light is better/brighter than oem as far as i can tell. would have liked to have better connectors on some of the kit- can change them out if i have future issues.
great websites with all you will ever need to know-
www.crfsonly.com
www.thumpertalk.com

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
The more I hear about AZ and their laws, the more interested I become in being a citizen of that state...

Title, registration, & emission laws are pretty good here (Maricopa county - not so much) . . . but like with most things in life, there are trade offs. We have our share of crazy (political & fiscal) BS.

Of course, being able to ride year round off-sets a lot of that when considering overall quality of life.

:bike_rider:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles