Radiant floor heating

chris_the_wrench

Fixer & Builder of Things
I remember seeing a custom camper build, or perhaps multiples, that utilized radiant floor heating, but I can't seem to find them.

Can someone please refresh my mind and direct me?

Thanks
-Chris

pods8

Explorer
B_M, If it was a Alaskan camper style camper build on a Fuso then that thread is gone (deleted).

That was basinranger and yeah he deleted his thread, said he's clean it up and repost and then never followed up. It was a cool build, pretty sad he took it down. Doesn't make any sense to me.

Absolutely great idea for the coldest climates or extended usage in cooler zones. Great.

unless it springs a leak, then it is very hard to access.
If someone were to do this, I would suggest a single length of steel sheathed hose, with joints at the ends easily accessible.
Just as important as heat coming from below is, good insulation without "cold spots" is critical.

Charlie

NeverEnough

Adventurer
If someone were to do this, I would suggest a single length of steel sheathed hose, with joints at the ends easily accessible.
Just as important as heat coming from below is, good insulation without "cold spots" is critical.

Charlie

Having used hydronics in a cold-climate homes, I decided to go electric for my build. I just didn't want to worry about leaks or a system failure that can lead to freezing. The carbon electric matts I installed are working great, better than I thought they would. But, obviously, you need an electrical configuration that supports the system.

And ditto on insulation. Radiant isn't about a warm floor, it's about radiating energy to the objects you want heated. That's tough in a mobile environment since the only significant mass you want to heat up are the occupants, which move in and out of the conditioned space. So reflecting the radiant source back into the conditioned space is as critical as mitigating conductive and convective heat transfer to the outside.

Wanted

Charlie

Hey Charlie,

I realise your comment is nearly 6 years old haha, but just wondering if you would still recommend using the same steel sheathed hose and why? I am considering doing this same thing in the floor of my Sprinter in about a month. Would love to hear your thoughts, thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke