Tanzania 2005

DaktariEd

2005, 2006 Tech Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
Tanzania!

I just have to jump in here! How could I not?

I am brand spanking new to this forum :luxhello: , having learned of the site from Jonathan & Roseann (R & J), who just happen to be my brother-in-law and sister, respectively (duh!).

I was fortunate to be one of the guinea pigs on this safari, and can't begin to extol how incredible an experience it was.

Having been to Kenya 7 times, leading medical mission teams of 10-20 people to remote underserved areas, I am fairly well acquainted with the challenges of organizing such ventures from afar...way afar! It was incredibly difficult for me, a devout "Control Freak," to sit back (well, mostly) and watch R & J struggle with many of the same issues that confounded me in Kenya.

But I must say that R & J really did an incredible job, and maintained what was a very even keel despite some of the very, very challenging parts of the trip.

So, with all that, I want to share a photo of R & J, reattaching the Troopie's side view mirror with duct tape! It seems to have fallen off after an altercation with Roseann's flailing arm! :victory: Perhaps she will elucidate...

Mirror_mirror3.jpg

BTW, I haven't told them yet, but I hope to return on another safari with them sometime in the near future! Shhh...don't tell them! :D

Kwaheri!
Ed

DesertRose

Safari Chick & Supporting Sponsor
DaktariEd said:
I want to share a photo of R & J, reattaching the Troopie's side view mirror with duct tape! It seems to have fallen off after an altercation with Roseann's flailing arm! Perhaps she will elucidate...

HEY ED - :shakin:
Welcome!

Okay, so it went like this. It was our last epic drive day, across the incredible valley of Lake Natron. My Land Cruiser was truly the worst of the three: windows didn't work so we got covered in dust; the radiator fittings were poorly repaired and threatening to go kerput; and more I won't bore you with more gruesome details.

So during this drive Ed and I heard a THUNK and looked back to see our whole rear tire - with carrier - laying on the road. The rope was in the other vehicles, who failed to see us stop, and thus all I had was a single roll of duct tape. No problem - we duct-taped the tire ON THE ROOF RACK. then we pressed on....

About 2 hours later the temp starts climbing as we're churning through an enormous dry pool of black-cotton soil, which creates clouds of fine dust and sucks at your tires. The temp gauge pegs, something goes THUMP-CRASH and there is water on the windshield. Water? Stop, check - indeed, it is catostrophic, the fan exploded, bits everywhere, radiator impaled.

At this point I am so thoroughly FED UP with this vehicle and so sorry for the poor guests who have endured this epic - I jump out as the other Troopie pulls up and I let 'er rip: "Our TIRE fell off, our RADIATOR just EXPLODED - THIS VEHICLE IS A TOTAL PIECE OF CRAAAPPP!!!!" I yell, arm flailing and unfortunately into the mirror of the Troopie and off it goes.

The poor young man driving this vehicle is a terribly sweet African guide named Ramas, and watching me rant and then karate his vehicle, his eyes look like this: :Wow1:

I recovered of course quite quickly and was all sunshine and smiles again. :sunflower

That's the story!! I am now famous for being one of the only mzungu girl drivers AND throwing temper tantrums when vehicles misbehave. ;)

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
:xxrotflma Excellent story! HAHAHAHA

Glad to see more of the African adventure crowd stopping in to chat. This is too fun.

:ylsmoke:

gjackson

FRGS
Scott,

I have driven a Camel prepped Discovery, but it isn't mine. My current overland vehicle is a Defender 110. It's been a good truck, though I wasn't saying that in Western Sahara when the transmission gave up! Or in Niger when the front suspension came apart -- but to be fair to the truck that was Safari Gard's fault, not Land Rovers.

Camel spec Disco belongs to Nathan of Pangaea who I guide trips in Southern Africa for.

cheers

Graham

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
A couple of years ago I went through the Selous Reserve in southern Tanzania on a magazine assignment. Also along was a know-it-all travel writer who kept bitching that he should have been flown to the camps rather than have to endure long rides in a Land Cruiser. At one point during a rest stop on an extended stretch of seriously rough track, the drivers got out the tools and started tightening the front shackle bolts on both vehicles. The travel writer, looking distinctly clueless and worried, came over to me and asked what was going on. I said "They're just snugging the shackle bolts. There's nothing wrong."

Several minutes later I heard him talking to our guide. I managed to stroll up behind him just he put his finger thoughtfully on his chin and said to the guide, "So . . .it looks like you needed to snug the shackle bolts, huh?"

I just cleared my throat loudly and walked away.

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
We drove in across the top of the photo reserve from Mikumi. The two troublesome travel writers moaned at the suggestion we detour to Selous's grave ("Selous who?"). I never forgave them for that. We stayed at Rufiji River Camp and had a couple excellent long boat rides upstream, plus a good long hike. Wonderful lion sightings.

I had a chat with Philip Caputo a few months ago, who hunted buffalo in the southern part and had a great time (he wrote it up in Field and Stream this summer). He also wrote Ghosts of Tsavo, about the Patterson and present day Tsavo lions.

I'm trying to get an assignment to write about the Ruvuma wildlife corridor south of Selous. Not well-known or traveled, but rumored to harbor a lot of game.

Scott Brady

Founder
gjackson said:
Scott,

I have driven a Camel prepped Discovery, but it isn't mine. My current overland vehicle is a Defender 110. It's been a good truck, though I wasn't saying that in Western Sahara when the transmission gave up! Or in Niger when the front suspension came apart -- but to be fair to the truck that was Safari Gard's fault, not Land Rovers.

Camel spec Disco belongs to Nathan of Pangaea who I guide trips in Southern Africa for.

cheers

Graham

We met, although briefly in Moab last year. You were driving Nathan's disco through town, for a Rover event. I had just returned from a trek on the White Rim trail...

Nathan and I have been working closely on some equipment and expedition projects for the last few months. I hope to be able to meet you soon. :)

Scott

gjackson

FRGS
Scott,

I do remember meeting you in Moab. White Rim is a great trip. I've been thinking of doing it again soon. Just have to get the 110 back into shape. It took a beating in Africa and needs some TLC.

I think Nathan was talking to you about a Baja trip. That would be cool. I'm sure we'll run into each other eventually.

cheers

Graham

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
Graham, how did you ship your 110 and by what route? We plan to take our Land Cruiser to the Sahara some day. Possibly ship from Houston to England, then drive down.

gjackson

FRGS
Jonathan,

We shipped from Colorado to Southampton England. The container was dropped in front of our house, we loaded the cars and then it was taken to Denver. By rail to Houston, by container ship to Southampton. Took about 3 weeks door to door. Then we drove South from England.

The shipping company we used was Allison Shipping. Some friends recently tried to use them but had no luck.

cheers

Graham

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
Graham, yes, we can take it. How much?

I got a quote from Houston to (?) Southampton, I think, a couple of years ago, for not much more than $600. Don't think that included a container. And there was something about me being available to shovel coal . . .

Attachments

• 2993.jpg
    2993.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 4
  • 2994.jpg
    2994.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 2

The BN Guy

Expedition Leader
600$?!? That's not bad at all. Shovelling coal, well, as long as I have a back left once I get there. Wonder how much to ship to Oz...

gjackson

FRGS
Sorry about the reply delay -- I've been travelling. It cost us about $3500 for a 40ft container with 2 Land Rover 110s. Shipping was from my house in Colorado to the docks in Southampton.

I've done roll-on-roll-off as well. That was $1800 shipping from Southampton to Seattle on a car carrier. There are rumors that you can get on a freighter for much less. Problem with that is they just lash the vehicle to the deck, so it is pretty exposed to the elements. Also, security is a big concern if you have anything in the vehicle. Better if you are able to secure passage with it. I know you can do this around Africa, but I don't know if you can do it trans-atlantic.

I think it would be fun to try though!

cheers

Graham

The BN Guy

Expedition Leader
Wow! Those are impressive numbers to me! I thought it'd cost significantly more than that to ship. Like 10k$ to 15k$ pluss from Australia. Considering the distance difference, it'll be more but not as much as I anticipated. Maybe.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94