Tanzania 2005

gjackson

FRGS
I was also surprised when I looked into shipping prices. Shipping one Land Rover back from South Africa was more expensive though. That cost $5000 for a 20ft container from Durban to my door in Colorado coming through Houston. So long as your car will fit in a container, you are easy to ship. Makes Mogs a bit of a pain. Know several people with Pinzgauers who use small metal disks for wheels when putting the rig into a container.

cheers

Graham

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
$3500 divided by two= $1750 each from your door to England in a container--not bad at all. I'd think you could knock off a lot if you drove to/from Houston--and more, of course, if you were rilling to risk it without the container.

60seriesguy

Adventurer
I paid $680 back in 1996 for a 20' container from La Guaira, Venezuela to Miami, FL, shipping through SeaMarine. That was for the slow boat (took 3 weeks), there was a direct route for roughly twice that. I had the advantage that most containers come empty on that route.

Shipping rates for ocean-going containers vary wildly depending on the port of departure and the port of destination, and a port's volume isn't always the best deal.

For example, you can get a better deal shipping to the UK out of Baltimore than out of the much busier Norfolk, VA and Philadelphia ports, and much cheaper than from NY.

There are RO-RO routes from the Canadian Maritimes to the UK, but there are limited slots for regular vehicles and they fill up quickly.

I would also advise against shipping a vehicle on a regular freighter. It may be cheaper, but the exposure to salt water spray is going to be brutal. Shipping container or RORO is the way to go.

pangaea

Adventurer
Unless you have a way of securing the cargo (ie lockable radio body mog or FC vehicle), I'd highly recommend going container over roll-on roll-off. I don't know if its the dock worksers or the guys on the boat, but folks along the line have some sticky fingers.

My wifes family lives over on Oahu, and over the years they've had a few vehicles shipped roll on rolloff from California. When the cars arrived, without fail, if it wasn't bolted down, it was missing. Little things get stolen too like all the floor mats, and the cigarette lighter plugs.

On a vehicle dependant expedition, that vehicle is your whole life is contained in the rig. For me, its worth it to spring for the container.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke