PirateMcGee's 2001 Montero Sport 3.5XS

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Timing belt was done at the dealership at 84 or 85k miles. Don't remember what else was done but it was an $1800 trip...

You're talking about the dealership which IMHO lowers their credibility LOL. Ask the dealership what work was done since they may be able to pull up the details based on the VIN/License Plate. Plus the previous owner may have opted out of a number of maintenance items suggested by the dealer.

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
lol I have the original print out of what was done along with the service book which is signed by the service writer after every service and a sheet with a printout of necessary services at every 10k mile service interval with initials next to each service.....everything was done lol I just don't want to go rummage back through it at the moment and list everything. I do recall seeing cam seals on there. The mitsubishi dealership service center here is solid and I've met several of the mechanics that have worked there over the years. This was a local doctor's wife's car that they ordered brand new...from the service records it didn't appear that money was much of an issue to them.

That said I'll probably end up doing a big service on it at 120-130k miles for my own piece of mind.

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
Repacked and adjusted the wheel bearings today....great easy to work on design; 1.5 hours for both sides start to finish...I like! No more wheel shimmy :)

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
DSC_0108.jpg

DSC_0082.jpg

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
Did great on the 1,300 mile trip pulling the heavy trailer! Avg about 15mpg doing about 65mph, not bad considering the trailer, mountain passes, and the stuff on the rack.

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
Finally got Scooby off the pavement today....noticed a few things, I really don't like an automatic offroad, extremely stable wheel base, highway tires stink in the dirt, my 86 4runner on 31's was much better off road than I knew haha. Overall though, it's really nice driving a vehicle capable of doing 75mph on the highway in comfort and still being able to hit the dirt. I'm not really sure if I'll modify Scooby at all...it may just stay a daily and I'll pick up a fj60 or 55 or montero sr for a long term project.

Anyways here's some pics
DSC_0139.jpg

DSC_0131.jpg

DSC_0130.jpg

DSC_0127.jpg

DSC_0123.jpg

shmabs

Explorer
Great pics! Glad to see its getting some use, a decent set of tires and a locker or two really help these things out, i have been impressed with the capability of mine when i learned how to actually drive it. The best part is keeping with a modest size tire doesn't affect the daily driving much, and of course an ARB is invisible when you want it to be. After using my montero for a little while now and learning the rig, i think it will stay mostly as it is right now, maybe some bumpers at some point. Its still a good DD and roadtrip vehicle while being capable enough for 95% of what i want to do. When i build a rig for the harder stuff, it most likely wont be a mitsubishi product.

Curious: what don't you like about an auto off road?

Mike

scrubber3

Not really here

Mike

x2 I actually prefer an auto for off road use. And yes, the tires play a MAJOR part in off road performance considering that they are the only things actually touching the ground.

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
Great pics! Glad to see its getting some use, a decent set of tires and a locker or two really help these things out, i have been impressed with the capability of mine when i learned how to actually drive it. The best part is keeping with a modest size tire doesn't affect the daily driving much, and of course an ARB is invisible when you want it to be. After using my montero for a little while now and learning the rig, i think it will stay mostly as it is right now, maybe some bumpers at some point. Its still a good DD and roadtrip vehicle while being capable enough for 95% of what i want to do. When i build a rig for the harder stuff, it most likely wont be a mitsubishi product.

Mike

Thanks it was fun getting it out! The tires on it really aren't that bad as they have lots of sipes...I think it's just going from a light weight first gen 4runner on 31's to a heavier vehicle on stock sized tires. My runner just semi floated on snow and had more flex. Overall I can't complain though since in reality 95% of the time is spent on the highways and it's a great highway truck whereas the runner wouldn't have been able to do the speed limit. My pickle with this vehicle is that it is extremely clean and in incredible shape so even getting pin stripes on it would be hard. So it may just be wise to save my pennys and buy a different rig for hitting the dirt in...I'm really leaning towards a Montero SR simply for the motor. Then again I may just buy a little dd galant vr4 or celica all trac or subaru and play with the sport.

As for the Auto I hate not having exact control. I want this gear at this throttle input at this exact moment. I don't like the disconnect I feel with an auto...

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
As for the Auto I hate not having exact control. I want this gear at this throttle input at this exact moment. I don't like the disconnect I feel with an auto...

I feel the same way.
That's why I love the Gen. III Montero transmission. You can run it in normal drive mode for pavement, then override the drive mode and have manuel control over what gear you're in whenever you desire. It's great for steep descents, really saves the brakes when you have the rig loaded. Drives like a manuel trans. without a clutch pedal. There's nothing like bombing through the desert on a high speed run and being able to control your speed with fewer hits on the brake...way better control through the washboards as well.

Last edited:

off-roader

Expedition Leader
what off road situation do you see the automatic being inferior to a stick?? frankly i have yet to discover it with over a decade driving mitsu 4x4s off road on everything from easy trail riding to mud to hood deep river crossings to moab, to the AZ desert rocks to the sierras rock crawling trails. By comparison, most stick drivers in monteros were jerky and 10x harsher on their drive trains.:confused:

SOFpirate

Adventurer
I feel the same way.
There's nothing like bombing through the desert on a high speed run and being able to control your speed with fewer hits on the brake...way better control through the washboards as well.

HEAR HEAR! My dad and I drive our Gen III like a stolen rental car!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke