PirateMcGee's 2001 Montero Sport 3.5XS

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
Built a sleeping platform for it since my Sport doesn't have the rear false floor. Super simple hardwood plywood screwed to some 2x4 (height is perfect!). No crazy drawers or hinges or anything but it also weighs little and cost $20. Ulitmately this will only be used when I don't feel like or can't set up my tent or during bad weather. Works out really well though with the 2 cargo pockets in the rear along with a 12v outlet. Thanks Mitsu! Thinking about some lighting to run from the clothes hangers but a leadlamp works great too haha.
DSC_0165.jpg

DSC_0164.jpg

DSC_0162.jpg

scrubber3

Not really here
Simple yet effective. I like it... I pondered at this idea for mine but I'd never fit. (6'4") I have to push my front seats all the way forward as well as the rear and if I place my cargo boxes back there it makes just enough room. The planks just won't fit with the boxes though. Nice clean set up man. Good job!

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
Installed my Aisin Hubs and they work fantastic. The steering is better and according to my scan gauge there is a slight fuel eco benefit.

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
Haha ya I pretty much just drive it...it's nice to not be constantly tinkering. 235/85r16's are probably next followed by a limited slip and a fridge.

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
Doing a spark plug/wire change...then discovered all the tube seals are leaking except 1. Whoever thought it was a good idea to require the intake manifold to come off should be found, tortured, and returned to Mitsu to serve as a warning. Plus the tube seals/valve cover gaskets are a nightmare to get off when it's this brittle and old. Good news is the engine has zero sludge, looks brand new inside, and the timing belt looks brand new (has about 35k on it).

Let's just say I really miss my 86 4runner about now.

Mudrunner

Adventurer
Not looking forward to doing the plugs on my XS either. But that will be down the road when I do my next T-belt change. The 3.0L in the 4Runners sucked too. I love everything about the sport over my old 88. I have toying with finding the false floor for mine just for fun.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Mudrunner

Adventurer
Installed my Aisin Hubs and they work fantastic. The steering is better and according to my scan gauge there is a slight fuel eco benefit.

What P/N hub did you get I was thinking about getting some for my Sport as well. Were they pretty stright forward to out in?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
Sorry didn't see this mudrunner. I just got some aisins off of eBay. They are from an old mitsu raider I believe. I just searched Mitsubishi aisin and found them, fully rebuilt and everything.

Also plugs/wires/valve covers all buttoned up and working well. Went together easily.

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
Small update: Pic with the 265's and the running boards removed. Also built a storage/dog platform with a pull out table in place of the rear seats that I never used.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94