Santa Came Early... Finally got my Bike..

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Well, it's my birthday week... so the farkles have started. And tasteful farkles i might add.

The bike already has after market handlebars, Daystar shock covers, after market engine guard, center stand, tank bag, paniers and Givi trunk.

So, after dumping the bike once i realized that the stock BMW hand guards weren't that beefy. So i wanted to add something strong, yet sleek and of course lightweight. I chose Cycras. http://www.fasstco.com/shop/cycra-pro-bend-handguard

img6170g.jpg

The problem after getting them installed was, no matter how i adjusted them i couldn't get them to clear the stationary instrument bezel. Therefore, if i ever crashed the bike i would blow up the "dash". So, immediately after installing them i yanked them and off to the moto shop they go.

The stock BMW pegs are terribly small and skinny. For now, i've been dealing with it.. but i've got a Death Valley ride coming up in 2 weeks and i want to be comfy and confident in my feet positions. I opted for the Wunderlich German rally kit. They're basically just weld on hoops that they do for you, but the added width and teeth will be nice with my big boots.

img6176z.jpg

While on the Wunderlich website i found this uber cool oil temp gauge. See on the Dakar's they use a plastic fill cap on the gas tank (which isn't a real gas tank). Well, Wunderlich makes these in billet, liquid filled and also double as a dipstick. Talk about sexy.
img6178mn.jpg

For us paranoid folks, we can look down at any point during our rides. Give us piece of mind and also i can keep an eye on what temp the fan comes on in traffic. It's not blocked by the tank bag.
img6181m.jpg

Last but not least of course were the mirrors. Unscrewing your mirrors when you go off-highway isn't fun and if you lay the bike down you could shear them or break more than just a mirror as a resulting factor. Fold down mirrors are great, but i wanted good quality. We've ran RAM products in our rigs for years... and a good friend recommended these Ram Fold down mirrors from www.doubletakemirror.com

img6182c.jpg

They seem to fit the bill perfect. Not much vibration, fast tuning and easy fold down when you hit the dirt. I run two around town and quickly remove one if need be for back country pavement.

img6184b.jpg

Fold and tuck nicely out of the way.
img6187f.jpg

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
After riding hundreds of miles in Death Valley, others behind me noticed that i was leaning a bit forward on the bike and not reaching the handlebars as well as i should be. Today i installed Wunderluch 35mm bar risers. What a difference they made, i noticed right off the bat. No more straining to reach the bars and the ergonomics/comfort for standing for long periods will be a great benefit. I'm now in a much more relaxed position.

risers.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz