Jerry can holder/ mount options

off-roader

Expedition Leader
The garvin mounts are not that cheap. I bought them directly from them and they were $170 for 6 of them. I do not consider that cheap for mounts but am glad I bought them because they are very heavy duty.
He's talking about the hilift mount which is only a couple of pieces with attaching hardware (nuts & bolts) not mounts to attach the rack to the roof. That said the hilift mount is well made & uses 1/4" plate that's been powder coated black.

RichardT

Adventurer
I bought a hitch rack (harbor freight special) to use when going camping (car camping) to bring extra gear, but wanted to be able to bring some extra fuel and water, without using up the space within the rack to do so, so I custom built a couple of brackets that I could mount on the sides, using some a couple of pieces of angle iron, some flat steel, 4 d-ring/shackle type things, and some cable(to help them from falling out, and to prevent anyone with sticky fingers walking away with a $15 can filled with $20 in fuel) and some flat black rustoleaum paint, with a matte clearcoat finish. I used it this past summer when we did a group camping trip up to Yosemite, and I was asked to bring the firewood. This of course is far from ideal for off-roading, as my exit angle is completely shot to hell, and would be useless unless I'm on a very easy trail, but for the purpose that I built them to attach to this rack, they work perfect. Eventually when I get my roof rack here in a few weeks, I'll make something similar to mount some cans up top, and if I'm ever fortunate enough to afford a nice new rear bumper, I'll be making something for that as well.

I know these aren't exactly what you are looking for, but maybe it'll give you a few ideas. Here are some pictures. (forgive some of the ugly welds, I hadn't welded anything in over a decade, and they got better as I got towards the end of the project ;), the end product looks really clean)

montero gas can4.jpgmontero gas can3.jpgmontero gas can5.jpgmontero gas can2.jpgmontero gas can1.jpg

SOFpirate

Adventurer
For some reason those hitch racks have always scared the $#!T out of me. Was the weight shift noticeable with the "farwood" on the back that far? As in, were your front tires skidding around like a go cart?

RichardT

Adventurer
For some reason those hitch racks have always scared the $#!T out of me. Was the weight shift noticeable with the "farwood" on the back that far? As in, were your front tires skidding around like a go cart?

No, it wasn't bad at all, actually, the truck still handled pretty well, and considering the fact that my rear shocks are toast (I'm replacing them here in a couple of weeks finally), that's even more impressive. Even through the windy roads getting to Yosemite valley, I was movin along at a good clip, and the truck handled just fine :). They say that rack can handle about 500lbs, and It would be safe to say I had close to 380-400 on there, with the gas and water can, along with about 2-3 wheelbarrows worth of wood (you can see in the pic's how high it was stacked, reached almost the top of the spare tire)

scrubber3

Not really here
My fill spout came in and I just cleaned out my jerry can. Now I gotta prime and paint it. Think I'm gonna paint it pink to ward off thieves.

Okay, not pink... Probably a dark orange or something like that. Still haven't came to terms where I will mount it for sure.

rxinhed

Dirt Guy
Several Monty owners carry 35" spares on the door, and there are examples of LR ladders mounted up if you search.

fatrat

SE Expedition Society
Several Monty owners carry 35" spares on the door, and there are examples of LR ladders mounted up if you search.

Yeah I will be going 34/35" tires & will most likely install a Disco ladder but was curious if adding 2 jerry cans under the ladder would be too much for the door.

RichardT

Adventurer
Something like this is what I've been thinking about but I would also like a ladder

That would be awesome, I went to the junk yard the other day and saw a few Disco's, but none of them had a ladder unfortunately :( . I bet that mount wouldn't be too hard to fab up, and I like how they took the trouble to mount the license plate, and light as well, so as not to run afoul with the law. I'm going to need a project here in a bit (after I tackle the platform I want to build in the rear similar to off-roaders, maybe I'll try to fab something like this. But first I'd like to have the ladder as well to know what I need in terms of clearance, etc...

Last edited:

fatrat

SE Expedition Society
The only problem with this solution is that it's expensive. A similar ARB jerry can holder (below) sells for over $500. Has anyone seen any like this for less?

Yeah, its called make your own...a little angle iron, expanded metal, a hinge, & a lock. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier