Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best boots for BMW GS1200

Default Best boots for BMW GS1200

Hi Guys: I'm new to offroad, expedition travel on two wheels. Can any of you recommend boots for offroad expedition travel on a motorcycle? I have used the heavy duty MX boots on my KTM for track use but feel they are too heavy for the BMW on street/dirt. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Brian

SIDI Crossfires.
    You only lost went running out o gas ,the rest is exploring - trailtrick

I am not a huge fan of MX boots due to the fact that they don't flex very well. The protection offered is nice, but I never could get used to them.

That said, I ended up with a set of Gaerne G-Adventure boots. They do not have the hard plastic side plates that MX boots do, but they do have a plastic shin plate. They seem fairly stiff, have three cam buckles, and waterproof liner (that gets good reviews). I have only had them for a few days and only ridden them about 30 miles so far, but they are comfortable so far. Tomorrow will be a bigger test.

Boots are so subjective. Many of the guys I ride with ride more hardcore than I do and probably would want a stiff boot, but I finally found a boot that I like, offers decent protection and is affordable. Sizing is good also, I usually wear an 11.5-12 shoe, and the size 12 boots are great.

My favorite by far after buying 3 different pairs of boots the last 4 years is the Sidi Adventure Goretex. Great in all temps, 110 to 20 degrees, and completely waterproof. Very comfortable on the road, and great off road. I think the boots saved me from a serious ankle injury riding in the Utah desert this fall.
    Moto's, Bikes, Cruisers, and Overland Vehicles

Quote Originally Posted by trailsurfer View Post
    My favorite by far after buying 3 different pairs of boots the last 4 years is the Sidi Adventure Goretex. Great in all temps, 110 to 20 degrees, and completely waterproof. Very comfortable on the road, and great off road. I think the boots saved me from a serious ankle injury riding in the Utah desert this fall.
    X2 I LOVE my Sidi Adventures...my only real problem is that they really make your feet stink on a long ride......I mean its really bad.....and I never have that problem.....
    11 URJ200
    16 4Runner TRP
    03 1150 GSA
    99 UZJ100 - Gone, but never forgoten

"When injustice become law, Rebellion becomes duty"

Quote Originally Posted by wesel123 View Post
    X2 I LOVE my Sidi Adventures...my only real problem is that they really make your feet stink on a long ride......I mean its really bad.....and I never have that problem.....

You probably have the Adventure Rains that are plastic and don't breath. With the Goretex I have not had that problem, they seem to breath pretty well.
    Moto's, Bikes, Cruisers, and Overland Vehicles

Default BMW Santiago?

I personally have wide feet and have tried to get them into the Sidi's and the Gaerne's with no luck, so I tried the BMW Santiago's and they fit really well and are all day comfortable. They have two buckles and metal toe guards on the leading edge of the sole. No plastic, but fairly sturdy leather and Goretex construction. BMW boots a have pretty good two year warranty too.
    Lygriek, aka Michael

2016 RAM 2500 Big Horn - Diesel
    2016 BMW R1200 GS Adventure
    1981 Honda XL185S

BlackSwanMoto.com

I like the Sidi range as well, but don't believe the European models I've used are available in the US. One thing I would say is that you will probably need to do *a lot* more walking in these boots than you might be used to if you are a road racer or motoX rider, so be sure that they are comfortable enough to walk around in for long periods. When I had my R1150GS riding around Europe and Nth Africa I found myself walking in my boots much (much) more than I was expecting, and had to replace the highly protective Sidi race boots I had thought would be great due to their greater protection.
    Humphrey

holy.. nice boots, but $650 for boots maybe one day... ill stick with my $239 Alpine star boots

I've been beating up a pair of AeroStiches combat touring boots for around 60K miles and they are by far the best motorcycle boot I've worn.

Jim
    Crisco: F650 Dakar, Fat in the can
    Trixie: Norton 850 Commando

I got these lines in my face trying to straighten out the wrinkles in my life
    Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs just need to get used to it
    There is always a moment in childhood when the door opens and lets the future in
    At its core, adventure is the willingness to commit to an uncertain outcome with and open heart and mind

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast