Best boots for BMW GS1200

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
You probably have the Adventure Rains that are plastic and don't breath. With the Goretex I have not had that problem, they seem to breath pretty well.
The Rain and GTX versions are almost identical. The GTX version, as mandated by Gore, uses top grain leather. The Rains are made with Sidi's proprietary Technomicro synthetic leather which is much like the superb Lorica they use in their cycling shoes. The membrane in the Rain is a taped membrane like that made by eVent or others. I haven't used the GTX version, and agree it's a much nicer than the Rains, but I found the Rains to breath reasonably well. My Sidi Cobra GTX boots are no more breathable.

What I like about the Sidi Adventure boots is the walkability. My offroad exploits are pretty tame. If I wanted more protection I'd probably go with the Sidi Discovery.

To the OP, here's my take on the Rain: Sidi Adventure Rain

Trailsurfer definitely has a valid point about PU coated leather and how it doesn't breath. These are an inexpensive touring boot, but as Trailsurfer would point out, they won't breath well, and to Scott's point, they'll be the minimum of protection for even light offloading: Alpinestars Scout WP I have a couple friends who wore their Scouts from Idaho to Tierra del Fuego and another 7,000 mile around India, so I suppose even the "cheap" boots can get you by.

Last edited:

YetiX

Ditto. After a Baja trip in my Gaerne G12's, my feet and ankles were killing me. MX boots just aren't well-suited to all day, day-after-day riding.

The Alpinestars Toucans are great boots with a good level of protection while still being comfortable enough to wear for 10 days in a row. I'd have tried the Sidi's, but my foot is wide and Sidi's are not.

A

agavelvr

V
Ditto. After a Baja trip in my Gaerne G12's, my feet and ankles were killing me. MX boots just aren't well-suited to all day, day-after-day riding.
Guess it depends on your foot, socks, and the boots. I always wear mx boots on long trips and haven't found them to be uncomfortable. Alpinestars tech 3s or Garne 10's... Week long trips of over a 1000 miles each...happy feet.
Socks and a good boot fit are key. That and a little gold bond makes them feel like slippers.

Sidi Adventure Goretex for pavement and "light" dirt (think Fire Roads). The Crossfires for anything where a drop becomes a frequent possibility. The GS(A) will take it. Your feet won't. DAMHIK

jpachard

Adventurer
I’ve had too many close calls and minor sprains to ride in anything but full MX boots now. The adv bikes are HEAVY and the more support you can give your ankles, the better IMO.

The key to making MX boots comfy is good socks and proper break in. The weight and minor setbacks of walking are offset by not having to suffer through sprains, broken toes etc when one is off on a killer long ride.

When I’m on long trips I keep a set of lightweight sneakers handy so when I’m off the bike I switch into them. It’s nice to air ones feet out anyway so that’s what has been working for me.

I know we are all different, just. Wanted to provide a data point.

Cheers, James

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dcg141

Adventurer
The dedicated adventure boots from Sidi and A-Star are great boots. The Sidi is the Adventure 2 Gore Tex and the A-Stars are the Corozal or the Toucan GTX. I like the Sidi more personally. I have used Crossfires and SG12's before on adventure rides when I was doing more technical trails and I knew it would be dry but never when it is going to be wet.

Last edited:

Jwestpro

Explorer
I would not consider anything less than a Cross-Fire 2 level of protection for the dirt. I learned the hard way that some of these hybrid boots are just not suitable for the dirt for real protection. I banged up my foot pretty good (metatarsal) on a low-speed crash in a set of Sidi Adventures. Not enough foot protection IMHO.

This is always the challenge huh. We all start a little lax on protection until the first real crash, then comfort, breathability and style starts to drop in priority ;)

Agreed highly on that.

NeverEnough

Adventurer
I've been using the Forma Adventure boot for 3 years now, including a few getoffs. Best day in day out adventure boot I've owned so far. I've owned three oil head GS bikes since 95, logged over 250k miles on them, with a good chunk off road. Part of my slow learning curve was understanding that 1100/1200 cc bikes are high consequence machines when pushed to their limits off road. Several expensive experiences both physically and financially resulted in a change of riding style when on my heavy bikes in the dirt. There was a day when I got a thrill out of seeing if I could make my big GS act like a dirt bike, and I still admire those who can pull it off. But now I match the bike to the route, and a boot like the Forma works great for my big GS travels and are cheap enough to have more than one pair.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles