JK Safari snorkel

marshal

Burrito Enthusiast
hey guys, looking to see some photos of ARB safari Snorkels mounted on your JK's. i know a ton of people on here have AEV stuff - I'm not interested (sorry). i just don't care for their through the hood design.

marshal

Burrito Enthusiast
actually, if anyone is running the AEV snorkel on a JK with tube flares, id like to see that too

ReconH3

Heavy Duty Adventurer
Safari makes great snorkels, but unfortunately their TJ and JK ones came out below par. Not the snorkel itself, but the hose routing and connection to the air box. Very poorly thought out. I went with the AEV JK one because it's actually much simpler and better design. I know this was not the answer you were hoping for but it's the honest truth.

"Ex Umbris Venimus"

Sent from my iPhone

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Safari makes great snorkels, but unfortunately their TJ and JK ones came out below par. Not the snorkel itself, but the hose routing and connection to the air box. Very poorly thought out. I went with the AEV JK one because it's actually much simpler and better design. I know this was not the answer you were hoping for but it's the honest truth.

"Ex Umbris Venimus"

Sent from my iPhone

I'd agree with you. We have done quite a few installs of the AEV snorkel and it's clean and simple, the snorkel goes directly into the air box. It does require cutting into the hood but once the cuts are made the cowling cleans everything up nicely. We use a piece of trim to clean up the inner cut and I think it comes out looking very nice.

I looked at half a dozen snorkels for the JK at SEMA this year and all of them had issues regarding the hose routing. Some tried to get around this by reducing the diameter of the connection hose from the snorkel to the air box but it worried me that they would restrict the air flow. Any way you look at a snorkel installation it involves cutting large hole in your body work.

marshal

Burrito Enthusiast
the cutting doesn't concern me, i just have a bug up my *** about AEV because everyone and their mother thinks the AEV suspensions are hand fabricated by Jesus.

that said, i also think AEV is a ************ company with their level of innovation and quality.

is anyone able to confirm that the AEV snorkel works with PSC tube fenders? if it does it'll move up to the very top of my list.

ReconH3

Heavy Duty Adventurer
I'm with you on AEV being annoying too, but in this case they are the only company that makes a decent snorkel for the JK. Had there been another, I would have bought the other. Unfortunately I can't help you with the fender comparability. I run it with Bestop ones.

JK01.jpg

"Ex Umbris Venimus"

Sent from my iPhone

forsakenfuture

Explorer
I'd agree with you. We have done quite a few installs of the AEV snorkel and it's clean and simple, the snorkel goes directly into the air box. It does require cutting into the hood but once the cuts are made the cowling cleans everything up nicely. We use a piece of trim to clean up the inner cut and I think it comes out looking very nice.

I looked at half a dozen snorkels for the JK at SEMA this year and all of them had issues regarding the hose routing. Some tried to get around this by reducing the diameter of the connection hose from the snorkel to the air box but it worried me that they would restrict the air flow. Any way you look at a snorkel installation it involves cutting large hole in your body work.

Do you have anymore photos of this JK? Loving the white on white Rubicons.

If you remember AEVs snorkel was inspired by the snorkel setups on the M38A1s.

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
I drive an AEV with their suspension, and while I'll leave Jesus out of the discussion (as he is my main Man), ... it is a phenomenal suspension (compared to every other I tried).
I have the snorkel as well. Personally, I think it is a clever design.

PS: Man, I am diggin that matte finish on that truck with the Warn 8274 winch!

D

marshal

Burrito Enthusiast
I drive an AEV with their suspension, and while I'll leave Jesus out of the discussion (as he is my main Man), ... it is a phenomenal suspension (compared to every other I tried).
I have the snorkel as well. Personally, I think it is a clever design.

PS: Man, I am diggin that matte finish on that truck with the Warn 8274 winch!

D

i just can't put rubber bushings and drop brackets on a suspension and call it phenomenal. sure it rides great and handles awesome ( I've driven an AEV 4.5 JK) but where i go nothing in the suspension that AEV offers short of their excellent springs would last more than a few trips

for those that are curious, someone at AEV answered my question - it does fit and fits well.

JPK

Explorer
i just can't put rubber bushings and drop brackets on a suspension and call it phenomenal. sure it rides great and handles awesome ( I've driven an AEV 4.5 JK) but where i go nothing in the suspension that AEV offers short of their excellent springs would last more than a few trips

for those that are curious, someone at AEV answered my question - it does fit and fits well.

A lot of guys say that about the AEV front control arm relocation brackets. Funny thing is that I have never heard of even one guy who had them and beat them to failure. A guy running the JK Extreme competition and other more serious rock crawlers who actually have the brackets don't seem to have issues, or at least don't report any issues. For $100 the brackets do wonders for ride, brake dive, vertical DS movement and pinion angle. (You do realize that the control arm brackets greatly reduce front DS verticle movement and reverse the pinion movement on droop and stuff, right?) Even if you beat a couple sets til they needed replacement you'de be far ahead of a set of adjustable control arms. And at their best, adj control arms leave pinion angle issues (or caster issues) which the AEV brackets resolve.

I have the AEV brackets and I've felt sure that I was going to demolish them on this rock or that obstacle, but in the end I rarely even scratch them.

As far as the other brackets, not much difference compared to others, except the rear track bar tower is taller and fixes issues with body roll which the typical shorter brackets cannot, by bringing roll center and cog closer together.

As far as rubber bushings, Poly Performance/Synergy use them as well, for the ride. All of Synergy's arms come with at least one end with rubber bushings, but their standard arms come with both sides equipped with rubber bushings. They're on to something, eh?

On snorkles, River Raider makes a cowl snokel that is pretty neat looking. Don't know about the under hood air ducting. I have an AEV snorkel with the cyclonic bowl "pre-filter." The amount of crud the :pre-filter" catches is occasionally stunning. A bird jumped out of a median stip on RT 70 when I was on the way west to Moab, doing about 85mph. Thought it might come through the window, but it hit the top of the windshield frame adjacent to the snorkel. THUD...POOOF! What must have been a majority of the feathers got sucked into the snorkel and started spinning. When we stopped to clean out the bowl the feathers were just a small knot in the 1/4" of collected dust. The thing works.

JPK

Last edited:

marshal

Burrito Enthusiast
im not arguing with you in this forum too JPK, Jeepforum was enough to last me my lifetime. i still refuse to run an AEV suspension, but thank you for your snorkel story.

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
Marshal: So ... are you overlanding ... or extreme rock crawling? I see you are in Louisville. Love to know some of the places you go! We some land between the lakes camping and exploring. Great area!
D

marshal

Burrito Enthusiast
i rock crawl, but overlanding fascinates me which is why I'm here. so far my suspension blueprinting will give me a best of both worlds function, well see how it pans out next summer. thankfully i have access to all the tools necessary to build my own suspension "kit" and make it work exactly how i want it to.

we go to Slade (Red River Gorge), Black Mountain (harlan, KY), Badlands (Attica, IN) and a lot of other little places within the state. we have many plans to go further and we hope to tackle a lot more

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Do you have anymore photos of this JK? Loving the white on white Rubicons.

If you remember AEVs snorkel was inspired by the snorkel setups on the M38A1s.

I have loads of pictures of this white JK and another one we did a complete AEV/AT build up on. I'd hate to derail this thread with them unless the author of the thread OK's it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles