12V-fed high-power USB power strip?

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
I am apparently acquiring many high-powered USB devices that won't charge on my old 5V car chargers. You know, those from manufacturers who never read the USB spec about 500mA and yet still use a USB connection to charge? (ahem...Apple)

Question: Can anyone recommend a USB power strip (thinking 5+ ports) that can handle 1A/port, one of them maybe upwards of 2A for iPads, fed from 12VDC and not from an inverter? Powered USB hubs generally are fed only 1A in aggregate.

Thanks,

Last edited:

off-roader

Expedition Leader
I use an iPad w/ bluetooth gps puck for my primary navigation so I have a similar power requirement. I used a 4 way 12v plug adapter and 2 high output usb plugs from Griffin. One is used to power the iPad. The second powers the low amp gps and acts as a backup unit in case the one used by the ipad goes bad.

Phreak480

Army Guy
i've found high output chargers designed to feed even an ipad on ebay for a few dollars a piece, they plug in the cigarette lighter socket and have dual ports. 1 Port is high current for the ipad 2.1 amps i think, and the other is standard output.

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
Right, but nothing with minimum 5 ports that can be 2+A each?

I don't want to have a spiderweb of tee'd cig lighter plugs and multitudes of those little things...

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
One post, resurrecting a thread from 2011, and talking about some Chinese electro-gadget. Do I smell a failed linkspam attempt?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles