Trak Kayaks - a travelers boat

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
My good buddy Jaime Sharp got involved with Trak Kayaks about two years ago. I myself enjoy kayaking and boating in general and met Jaime via the sport. Jaime is a guide in adventure tourism but also an adventurer at heart. He picked up a Trak about two years ago and set out to test this boat. I learned of the boat at this time and he plus myself had hoped to test the kayak and try it out on a trip we took together in Panama. However, the boat did not arrive in time for that trip. I had traveled from the USA to Belize to pick up Jaime and then we were on our way to Panama. This whole way I was packing a Wilderness Systems 16 footer on the roof of my truck. Let me tell you, packing a bright red 16ft kayak on the roof of your truck while over landing is not the best way to go!

http://www.rethinkkayak.com/

A couple years ago Jaime had begun to plan a trip to circumnavigate New Zealand in a kayak. He had thought at the time he might use the Trak for this trip. After about six months of testing the boat he decided he needed a hard shell for this expedition as it was a rather serious undertaking. Jaime has been working with Trak for the last couple years as a tester and is also sponsored by the company. I had a chance to test the boat myself right before Jaime did his trip around NZ.

154864_464181782404_204961572404_5538109_5880671_n  .jpg

58034_464181907404_204961572404_5538112_1239814_n.  jpg

I was pretty impressed with the boat. Not only did it pack up fairly small for a 16ft kayak it also went together fast. Beyond that, I was impressed with how it handled on the water. It was much more stable then I expected. It maneuvered well and turning was easier then I thought it would be. The boat was also fairly fast on the water.

Jaime has started putting together a video review and presentation of the boat. He is putting these out in a video series. I am not sure how many he will do in the series but he just released his first one today.

One thing is for sure with Jaime, he will be honest with you. If he finds things he doesn’t like about the boat or things he thinks needs improvement he will say it. The boat does carry a fairly hefty price tag but I myself think it is not only a great boat for overlanders to toss in their trucks but also suits people who travel and kayak. Which is why I am posting this thread!

http://networkedblogs.com/s1StP

You can follow Jaime and read more about him and the Trak on his website.

cheers

Last edited:

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Jaime is currently circumnavigating Isla Coiba in Panama in his TRAK kayak! I do believe it is a first via kayak and definitely a first in a collapsible kayak!

jingram

Adventurer
These types of kayaks like folboat, feathercraft, klepper, etc. are very popular up North, specifically with guys doing the length of the Yukon or Mackenzie River systems. I even know a guy who works at Delorme who took his feathercraft touring in the bahamas. If your friend would like a place to publish his article drop me a PM.

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
These types of kayaks like folboat, feathercraft, klepper, etc. are very popular up North, specifically with guys doing the length of the Yukon or Mackenzie River systems. I even know a guy who works at Delorme who took his feathercraft touring in the bahamas. If your friend would like a place to publish his article drop me a PM.

Thanks...I will pass this on to him! :)

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Five years later and I am now sponsored by TRAK. I am heading out in less than a week to drive to Tierra del Fuego and will be kayaking many locations along the way!

In my opinion the TRAKs are hard to beat for the type of trip Ia m taking. Being collapsible they just do not take up the room hardshell boats do.

Keep an eye on this thread if you have any interest!

Cheers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier