Expedition Portal: The Land Rover 109 IIA Build

aka rover

Adventurer
Nice ill be fallowing this build close as im building a 2a as well and have made a bunch of changes for long range use. Im really interested in what your plans are for the interior, im also looking at a sleeping platform in mine as well. I found a salsbury axle and am fitting them with disc brakes as well as power steering.

Dont let Alaska Mike fool you theres no mud here just SNOW!!!:Wow1::)

Cheers Ed

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
I forgot to mention, a good thing to service is the shifter detent and spring for the transfer case. It can be a bit too exciting coming down a mountain and have your transfer case slip out of low range in to neutral.
Some people fasten a loop of cord to the seat base to loop over the lever, not tight enough to put pressure on it but snug enough to keep the lever from moving forward. Just in case. Though I've never had it happen on one that was properly adjusted, even on very rough downhills. It did happen to me once with I was a Series noob. It only took once. lol

MattScott

Approved Vendor
So, here's a short story.

When I got my first Land Rover (which still lives on via ExPo) it had so much character it needed a name.

It was a red rover - so it was named Clifford.

For some reason last night, the name for the 109 came to me - it's now been named Ralph.

WU7X

Snow on the Roof
Um, how about electric windows and seats, oh and keyless entry? Just kidding! I love the way everyone who has owned one of these (including me) have all these wonderful ideas to take your "keep it simple" concept and convert it into something else.

I would recommend checking in with Teriann Wakeman, too. She has done wonderful things with her 109. Check out: http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/

http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/

Best of luck!

Last edited:

greenmeanie

Adventurer
I'd go after the two things that can plague a series Rover.

#1 as already stated is to replace every oil sea on the thing. It won't stop leaking but you'll know they are as good as they are going to get.

#2 is to go through all your electrical connections and ground points now, in the comfort of your garage. I also install a 2nd ground strap from the engine as this adds a little redundancy and reliability for starting. A major weakness is the lack of fuses on a IIA. I'd either graft in a fuse box or do a Painless rewire if there are already serious issues. That harness is already 40 odd years old and if its been in AZ all its life the insulation is probably quite brittle. I melted the harness in my 101 and 88 because of shorts in old wiring.

For upgrades I'd keep it simple. Lights, alternator, Magnecor leads and an electronic dizzy.

Replace the rear 1/2 shafts and drive flanges while you deal with the diff.

That'll make it nice and reliable for light duty.

For mechanical I'd sell the Fairey and spend some cash on a Roverdrive. I thrashed my 88 up and down from Phx to Tucson 5 days a week for over 100K miles before it eventually died due to lubrication issues of my own doing. They are much more robust and quieter than a Fairey and well worth the money. A simple brake upgrade is to fit the 11" drums off a 6 pot as I don't think your 71 will have them. 235/85s work well on these trucks.

Other than that it is a series. It is slowish and loud and have fun.

My NADA 109. She's a 20ft Land Rover but lots, and lots of fun. I'm still building bits of her.
roverarrival4.jpg

MattScott

Approved Vendor
I was busy tonight!

There's a new rear table installed on the door! and there's also carpeting and a rubber mat in the rear loadspace now!

(pictures coming in the AM)

MattScott

Approved Vendor
Last night I installed some carpet in the rear storage area to help with noise attenuation and rattling. I wasn't happy with the bare metal, objects slid around easily and even the smallest stone was noisy.

MAT_3872.jpg

MAT_3873.jpg

I decided a piece of automotive carpeting could be a good temporary solution until the budget allows for a sound dampening mat.

MAT_3878.jpg

To prevent it from sliding, I attached the carpet to the bed floor with some 3M General Adhesive. I'd consider this semi-permanent, It's not coming up unless you want it to.

MAT_3879.jpg

I also decided to install a rear cooking table on the 109. When purchased the vehicle had a set of old hinges that held a piece of painted plywood for a cooking table. I trimmed a cutting board down to size, and installed it instead. Down the road, I'll install a nicer unit, but for now, it's functional - there's more pressing issues to use the budget for than a several hundred dollar cook table.

MAT_3880.jpg

I don't think it looks that bad.

MAT_3882.jpg

I also decided to remove the rear bench seats. I may decide to put them in down the road, but I'd rather have the space right now.

MAT_3883.jpg

I'm thinking that the sides may also get carpeted, what do you think?

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
I'm thinking that the sides may also get carpeted, what do you think?

Series trucks leak enough that I'm against carpet in them. They will be constantly wet, smell after a while and grow biological weapons grade mold! Rubber mats, fine...quality spray on bed liner....fine...carpet...no.

In my experience series trucks can be modified to a point. After that point they either are no longer a series truck or the modifications are just more hassle than it's worth.
-Replace the wiring.
-Salisbury rear is a good swap on a 109" (or even and 88") as it just bolts in.(Contrary to popular belief, they are not a full equivalent to a D60). Still far better than the std rover axle.
-Ditch the Fairy OD unless you plan on doing a lot of highway miles. They are weak.
-Upgrade the brakes.
-Find a set of comfortable seats. (Defender seats bolt right in but not everyone finds them to be comfortable. I do.)
-The 2.25L gasser is what it is. Embrace it or you will be disappointed at best.
-Drive it and have fun!

MattScott

Approved Vendor
Series trucks leak enough that I'm against carpet in them. They will be constantly wet, smell after a while and grow biological weapons grade mold! Rubber mats, fine...quality spray on bed liner....fine...carpet...no.

That's something I had considered - this carpet is very thin, it should clean easily, it's a temporary solution right now.

greenmeanie

Adventurer
Carpet - needs to be some heavy patterned stuff out of a cheap Vegas motel (Heavy on shades of Orange, Yellow and Brown for extra effect) to really fit with the 70's age of the truck. It shouldn't really be an issue in AZ.

For the same reasons described I Linex'd the back of my 109 and it makes a huge difference with resonance and sound reflection but off road the noise there is from rocks striking the underside of the wheel arch so carpet doesn't help much. If you call Mercedes Jim he's a very interesting upgrade for wheel arch liners made from F250 parts IIRC.

My attitude to modifying vehicles is simply a truck that meets your needs is infinitely more valuable than one that doesn't, no matter what others think.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94