Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: One man camper loading... using casters on jack stands.

Tellturns....

I started a new thread on the heavy duty steps.... should give you what you need.. if not let me know.

Prybry
    Prybry
    "Young enough to know it all, Old enough to know better"

On the topic of moving camper. I've a sloping drive way, there is no way I can push the camper up into garage once it's unload from the truck. I've been looking for a hand winch/come-a-long/boat winch that I can use to pull/lower the camper from garage. Most hand winch/come-a-long are setup to pull not letdown. Boat winch can do pull and letdown but it's going to be very slow pulling the camper up a 20ft drive way. Warn pullzall looks promising but it cost $200! Anyone has any suggestion/experience with winching camper into garage?

Thanks!
    My 06 Tacoma with ATC Bobcat

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear - not absence of fear. - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by slooowr6 View Post
    On the topic of moving camper. I've a sloping drive way, there is no way I can push the camper up into garage once it's unload from the truck. I've been looking for a hand winch/come-a-long/boat winch that I can use to pull/lower the camper from garage. Most hand winch/come-a-long are setup to pull not letdown. Boat winch can do pull and letdown but it's going to be very slow pulling the camper up a 20ft drive way. Warn pullzall looks promising but it cost $200! Anyone has any suggestion/experience with winching camper into garage?

Thanks!
    Put the winch on your truck and use a snatch block on the wall... just make sure the wall is rigid enough to take the load!
    Last edited by Prybry; 01-05-2012 at 09:39 PM.
    Prybry
    "Young enough to know it all, Old enough to know better"

Winch on truck is great but that'll never fly with wife. I should clarify a little. Any cheaper than $200 option to pull/lower camper into garage.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear - not absence of fear. - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by slooowr6 View Post
    Winch on truck is great but that'll never fly with wife. I should clarify a little. Any cheaper than $200 option to pull/lower camper into garage.
    Not ideal but.. a few friends and a case of beer?
    My feet are my search engine, helping me to explore the real world.

I wouldn't normally recommend buying from them... but:

http://www.harborfreight.com/3000-lb...ake-68145.html

You could do it by hand with a set of pulley blocks and some strong synthetic rope. Buy a set with more pulleys than you think you need and try it. I bet you could do it with one hand if you wound 4 runs, and you could terminate the run at the camper so you can watch the wheels as you pull.

And if you want it to be a temporary setup, get a hitch adapter like http://www.warn.com/utility/accessor..._adaptor.shtml so you only have the winch on you truck when you want it

Looks like Superwinch Winch-In-A-Bag is a good option too.

I am looking to buy a pop up camper.Love the idea of the casters. Casters would work great on concrete and ashphalt, but on gravel...not so good. Wonder how a rated small pneumatic tire would work. I know on my boat trailer it is much easier to roll around with an air filled tire.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast