CV axle needs to be replaced...recommendations?

NorthernWoodsman

Adventurer/tinkerer
So, this past weekend while returning from a day of snowshoeing up near Mt. Hood I heard the telltale clicking indicative of a bad CV joint. It was just confirmed to me that it is definitely bad.

I was considering going with a Toyota reman axle from the dealer- $200. The mechanic quoted ~$135 for some brand he uses, didn't catch the name brand.

Does anyone have any recommendations on potential other options? Or should I stick with Toyota brand?

TRDPARTS4U

Adventurer
The Toyota factory and factory reman. CVs seem to hold up better. This is based off customer use and personal experience. The Oreily's around here used to have reman CVS for roughly $100.00 plus a core. I broke 3 of those in one weekend, granted I was not overlanding. :elkgrin:

Jacque

Stick Figure

Observer
I personally have sworn off auto parts store axles. Years ago I had a performance shop and we would often need to purchase axles sets for engine swaps etc. Usually it took a few tries to get them with joints that would actually move freely. Most of the time they would have a severe bind in them. When it came to my own vehicle I decided to see what would happen with one of these. It actually locked up at a slight bend and bounced the hell out of the front of my car at one point.

I would either talk to a drive shaft/axle re builder or buy new from Toyota.

upcountry

Explorer
Slightly off topic but is there anyone making a "high angle" joint or boot? If so is it really "high angle" or just repackaged with a different label.

And, what would make a joint high angle as far as design goes?

When I get to replacing my joints I am thinking new lca and spindle gusset.

FLYFISHEXPERT

LivingOverland.com
What type of driving do you do?

I have been happy with the new NAPA cvs I installed last fall. They have done well on all of our trips. I don't do any driving through boulder strewn fields though.

Gerdo

Observer
Go with a rebuilt Toyota OE axles only. The only exception appears to be NAPAs, they seem to be OK. Most auto parts store CV axles are made from junk steel that is poorly heat treated. Yes, they have lift time warranty but when the stub breaks off inside the diff, it sucks to get out. Also some of the store axles will bind to the point that the wheels won't roll.
BrokenCV2.jpg

Here is a ton of info and another alternative http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/54708-how-many-cvs-have-you-broken.html

As far as a "high angle" joint or boot? If you are wearing thru boots due to rubbing from lifting. Try this http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/90980-stretch-your-cv-boots.html

You can have your axles refurbished at a local shop. (driveline, axle repair)

01tundra

Explorer
The Toyota factory and factory reman. CVs seem to hold up better. This is based off customer use and personal experience. The Oreily's around here used to have reman CVS for roughly $100.00 plus a core. I broke 3 of those in one weekend, granted I was not overlanding. :elkgrin:

Jacque

Jacque - Do you guys sell remanufactured axles? I looked on you website, but all I could find were $350 new ones, at least I'm assuming (hoping) that was for new ones.

TRDPARTS4U

Adventurer
Jacque - Do you guys sell remanufactured axles? I looked on you website, but all I could find were $350 new ones, at least I'm assuming (hoping) that was for new ones.

We do. The factory reman. CVs are $130.49 plus a $75.00 core. 1st gen Tacoma reman. CV p/n 43430-04020-84.

Theizzardking

x4 OEM only

as for the unanswered long travel question total chaos makes one $$$$, half way down the page if you wanna look or i copied the description for you.
http://www.chaosfab.com/toyaccess_taco.php

96-04 Tacoma & 96-02 4 Runner 4wd Long Travel Modified Axles
Required to retain the 4wd assembly on the Tacoma 4wd long travel kit, TOTAL CHAOS offers a pre modified ready to install axle shaft for auto locking hub vehicles. TC takes remanufactured Toyota Tundra axle shafts and modifies them to achieve the full 13” of wheel travel that the TC long travel kit will provide. The axle shafts also include high angle inner CV boots with new clamps and come ready to install. Axles will fit any 96-04 Tacoma and 96-02 4Runner equipped with the TC long travel kit.
*Available for Automatic Locking Hubs Only.
PT# - 96300 Auto Hub Axles - Price: $889.00(pr)

NorthernWoodsman

Adventurer/tinkerer
Whoa, I neglected to look back at this thread since yesterday afternoon. Thanks for all of the responses everyone.

I decided to stick with OEM Toyota on the axle. I had sort of pre made up my mind, but wanted to check in and see what others recommended or had experience with. That's how I've learned about so many great options on other parts. Quality of the steel and overall product was one issue I had when considering non Toyota options. Oddly, I had considered NAPA as a close second possibility. Also, after losing my front drivers side hub and learning how good the Aisin hubs were in my search for new hubs, it was sort of cemented in my mind how good much of the factory Toyota parts really are.

Part was ordered today and I should be picking it up tomorrow afternoon. Hopefully, I will get it installed next week. Wish I had the time, tools, and space to do it myself, but this time the mechanic gets the job.

Thanks again for everyone's advice!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles