Who would be interested in a 2012 "End of the World" Maya Rally?

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
I think it is an outstanding idea! I would like to particapate, it would simply depend on available funds at the time for me. As far as actual time to do the trip, I would be able to do it during December.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
We have long been joking about doing a cool end of the world trip..
Making it in Mexico as part of the Mayan thing is super cool.
Me & mine are in depending on the dates...I would want to make it worth the doing (as in not too fast a trip) but no way to make it more than 3-4 weeks without messing up the work thing (I am already taking 2 months off to travel to Oz this summer)

trump

Adventurist
Just talked with my wife about this. Christian, if you make this happen, we're all in.

Dirtytires

Explorer
From my house to Mexico I would need a month to travel.. but it sure sounds fun, ,
Maybe a mini run for us who are Overland Virgins (me), according to google maps
it is 3279.4 mi, 55 hr 41 min. I would need a new back.. Or we could do the Georgia run.lol

Last edited:

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
We have long been joking about doing a cool end of the world trip..
Making it in Mexico as part of the Mayan thing is super cool.
Me & mine are in depending on the dates...I would want to make it worth the doing (as in not too fast a trip) but no way to make it more than 3-4 weeks without messing up the work thing (I am already taking 2 months off to travel to Oz this summer)

Gonna take the burb.:)

zeroland

Adventurer
Fantastic idea... a quick Google map route planner indicates Austin, TX to Honduras temples are about 2000miles apart. Totally doable for this trip! Mexico is obviously closer...

Mc Taco

American Adventurist
Cool idea. I'd love to do it, but would not want to be anywhere near a Mayan site around that time. The crowds of crystal wearing freaks would be worse the Vegas or Times Square on New Years Eve. Not in total numbers, just in weirdness. Good luck. I'll read the trip report from the blackness of emptiness.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Gonna take the burb.:)

Heck yeah...why do you think I am about to put in a 6.2L diesel...so I can run veggie oil since when the end of the world comes there won't be any oil companies left :)
And Mexico has plenty of veggie oil for cooking up all that good food!

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
A few more details/comments on how this could potentially work...

The Rally would most likely officially start somewhere in Mexico, so people driving from the West Coast and the East Coast have a chance to start from a common point.
I will be over a period of about 10 days, and will end on Dec 21st. It may or may not be exactly at Tikal, we would be working with a local Expedition company to organize that part....(I'll let you guess which one...)

For those of you who are also more nervous about safety in Northern Mexico, it would also allow to drive down in a convoy or go around through Baja.

We'll make it flexible so the exact starting date can change, but the big finish party would be on Dec 21st.

It would not be about speed, but about collecting points. I really would like to see some older and fun vehicles in it, such as the Land Rover that we just got at Expo.

It would also be doable with any car, not necessarily 4wd, although we'd make sure to include some optional offroad for those who wants it!

The route would most likely take you through Chiapas, Yucatan, Belize and Guatemala.

I am also thinking that it would be cool to have a special category for those who wants to drive "end of the world" emergency vehicle, such as Ambulance and Firetruck.
This is just a very preliminary thought, but it would be cool to be able to donate these vehicles to local communities when the rally is finish. The importation permit makes this very difficult, but perhaps with the right contact in Guatemala or Belize we could arrange something.

Also there would be an entry fee (not sure what the right amount could be) to cover expenses, but we would still like to keep this low so it's not a challenge for anyone.
It would be however nice to give back some money for a local charity, such as the organization who manages/restore/maintain the Maya sites.

We would also make sure to gather some nice prizes for the first positions.

So there you have it, these are the general ideas behind this rally.

What do you guys think? Is anyone interested to help?

I reserved the domain, just in case...

www.mayarally.com

:)

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Though maybe not as technical (4x4), could be in the spirit of the Mongol Rally as far as having some fun and adventure?

Sounds interesting. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke