Who would be interested in a 2012 "End of the World" Maya Rally?

Andy@AAV

Old Marine
Damn, time to get a passport :)

Sounds like fun. Depends on mileage, time, and the needs of the Marine Corps, but I am very interested! Maybe I can bring my brother since he is into all the conspiracy theory crap.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
I like the general concept...
But here are my "devils advocate" thoughts:
Keep the fee as low as possible and make it clear that any extra goes to a charity..then make sure you tell everyone how much that it and who it went to.

Make sure you have trophies for the top 2-3 in each class...a small plaque (local made helps the local economy) or something is way better than any sponsor pack of stuff we could buy at home. Also don't just have a 1st place overall and that is it, have a few classes and some odd ball extras (team spirit, party animals and such)

Make sure it is not a mad-dash, don't see anything but get your checklist completed, only stay at these locations type event.... I know, I know, every organizer says they won't but it is easy to end up that way.

Think about the return trip also, being in Maya land for Dec 21st is cool, but many people will have to be home for Christmas so make sure the event allows people to hit the road Dec 22nd at a reasonable time, matter of fact a great event planner would have info on where/how people could ship a rig home and fly to get there quicker.

Be very careful you don't take a great SIMPLE idea and "just one more thing" it to death. The vehicle donation, emergency vehicles and all that sounds great on paper....but what was wrong with a fun trip with a bit of a game thrown in? Does is have to be Mongol Rally?

I hope I haven't rained on any parade...that isn't my desire. I just wanted to offer some early stage thoughts to help it be a great event.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
snip...
Think about the return trip also, being in Maya land for Dec 21st is cool, but many people will have to be home for Christmas so make sure the event allows people to hit the road Dec 22nd at a reasonable time, matter of fact a great event planner would have info on where/how people could ship a rig home and fly to get there quicker.
snip...

Those are a couple details that crossed my mind too. Missing Christmas for me and/or my wife would be a big deal with my family. Being able to drive or fly home for Christmas might be a requirement.

mrshish

Observer
I mentioned this to my wife in passing not thinking she would like the idea. Surprisingly she jumped at the opportunity. We need some real details but there is a good chance we can swing it.

I am also thinking that it would be cool to have a special category for those who wants to drive "end of the world" emergency vehicle, such as Ambulance and Firetruck.This is just a very preliminary thought, but it would be cool to be able to donate these vehicles to local communities when the rally is finish. The importation permit makes this very difficult, but perhaps with the right contact in Guatemala or Belize we could arrange something.
:)

I imported three vehicles to Guatemala several years ago to fund two trips I made there. The importation taxes on one of my trucks was $800 (US). I can tell you that Guatemala has pretty relaxed requirements for importation of vehicles while El Salvador does not. El Salvador requires 1996 or newer vehicles if I remember correctly This might be something for you to look into further. It might be good to do some fund raising to cover the importation taxes so that the donation does not burden the recipient

I love your idea and wish I had the time to do this with you. I am sure my opportunity will come later.

Kevin

Ruined Adventures

Brenton Cooper
Great idea! We're selfish though, so we're going to get started 10 months early just to beat the crowds...
I am also thinking that it would be cool to have a special category for those who wants to drive "end of the world" emergency vehicle, such as Ambulance and Firetruck.
This is just a very preliminary thought, but it would be cool to be able to donate these vehicles to local communities when the rally is finish. The importation permit makes this very difficult, but perhaps with the right contact in Guatemala or Belize we could arrange something.

It would be however nice to give back some money for a local charity, such as the organization who manages/restore/maintain the Maya sites.
Very cool. That should earn competitors serious bonus points, considering most donated emergency vehicles that head south are in serious mechanical peril...they tend to get funneled down from bigger FD's with better funding to smaller volunteer FD's with less money, then they finally reach the bottom rung being donated to Latin American bomberos who make anything work.
I like the general concept...
But here are my "devils advocate" thoughts:
Keep the fee as low as possible and make it clear that any extra goes to a charity..then make sure you tell everyone how much that it and who it went to.

Make sure you have trophies for the top 2-3 in each class...a small plaque (local made helps the local economy) or something is way better than any sponsor pack of stuff we could buy at home. Also don't just have a 1st place overall and that is it, have a few classes and some odd ball extras (team spirit, party animals and such)

Make sure it is not a mad-dash, don't see anything but get your checklist completed, only stay at these locations type event.... I know, I know, every organizer says they won't but it is easy to end up that way.
Amen. It could be like golf, lowest scores win. Penalty points for staying at mega 5-star resorts/hotels, while rough camping or staying in mom & pop campgrounds/hostels should keep you "at par". Same should go for eating...buying food at the markets or eating at small establishments vs. the chain Hooters in Mazatlan...basically, the more you challenge yourself and "rough it", supporting the small businesses along the way, the better your final score. :sombrero:

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Amen. It could be like golf, lowest scores win. Penalty points for staying at mega 5-star resorts/hotels, while rough camping or staying in mom & pop campgrounds/hostels should keep you "at par". Same should go for eating...buying food at the markets or eating at small establishments vs. the chain Hooters in Mazatlan...basically, the more you challenge yourself and "rough it", supporting the small businesses along the way, the better your final score. :sombrero:

I really like that idea!

As for coming back from Christmas, that is of course understandable and there are a few options I have thought about:

-driving back, although it depends where you live. if you leave on the 21st, you could make it on the 24th, but that's tight.
-fly home and the vehicle back from Belize, apparently there is a company there that could bring you car back to Miami
-fly home and come back later to get your vehicle
-fly home and "donate" your vehicle, if we can find a non-costly way to do that.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
It would be good for the event planner to look into vehicle storage in the area for those for might choose the storage of rig option (one I like, fly back a few months later to continue a journey).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne