Kermit Chair

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
I've had one for years, and it's brilliant. Extremely compact when broken down, but you can just fold it flat if you don't want or need to disassemble it completely. It's small and light enough to be used as a motorcycle chair (its original market), but with the leg extenders makes a perfectly comfortable full-size chair. The wood and fabric are handsome, and the whole thing is U.S.-made.

I will say I think it has an upper limit for fit and comfort. Can't say where, as I'm 150 pounds, but at a guess, guys somewhere north of 225 pounds will start to feel constricted in it.

Expedition Leader
I have two and like them. Comfortable and packs small (bought them because space is at a premium in the FJ40). I weigh less than 200 lbs. so I couldn't say about heavier folks either. The only thing remotely like a down-side to them is the dis-assembly and packing; to get them back into the little carry sacks you have to do it just so; takes a little practice to get it right.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
I love mine. As Jonathan mentioned, they are smaller (narrower) than many camp chairs, but not so much as to be an issue for most people. Unlike Jonathan (who doesn't cast a shadow when he turns sideways), I'm not a small guy - and it's big enough to be comfortable for me (with room to grow - should the Carne Asada win). :costumed-smiley-007

thecriscokid

Explorer
A pair of them is on my short list. There compact packed size is the main draw for me. I have only spent enough time to drink a coffee and share stories around a morning fire. I was impressed.

NothingClever

Explorer
They're part of my motorcycle and pop-up packing list; I never leave home without them. The little clip-on cupholders are great for keeping a sweaty beer bottle clean of pine straw and dirt.

Moody

Needs to get out more
I've used mine all over Utah's backcountry...I love them. We plan to get each of my children their own once they turn 8 or so. I fully expect them to be the last camp chairs we will ever buy.

Scott Brady

Founder
The Kermit is a nice chair, made from quality materials and made in the USA. I am 6'1" and about 230 lbs. and fit in the chair, although that is pushing the upper limit.

The chair is quite squat though, with short legs. That can make extracting yourself after too many Margaritas, well, interesting. You can buy leg extensions.

ssssnake529

Explorer
Definitely buy the leg extensions. With the extensions, it's a terrific chair. I own 4 of them. I'm 220 pounds, and I fit fine. Best thing about them is how small and compact they are when folded. They do take a few minutes to put together, but with practice, it's pretty quick.

discotdi

Adventurer
Check out Blueridge Chairworks. Similar build to Kermit but more options and larger. They make a man size chair. I have two as well as the roll top table. Great stuff and Alan the owner is very nice. Sponsor of Overland Rally in NC. Chairs are made in NC. Lots of options well worth a look.

storman113

I use the Kermit chair for camping from my motorcycle. I must have spent a ton on other chairs as I was not going to spend that kind of money on a CHAIR! At a rally for bikes I met a lot of others who had the chair whom told me that I might as well bite the bullet and get one cause I would never find one that was as comfortable and packs as small. I decided bull ******t, I would prove them wrong. Well I was wrong!

I take it where ever I go weather it be on the bike or truck. I usually end up kicking someone out who has brought some other chair with them and likes the comfort of the Kermit better. I ended up sewing a patch on it that says "Coroner". When asked why, my reply, "Cause people are just dieing to sit in it"!

As mentioned, get the extensions. Was at a concert on a sloped hillside, left off the rears and was in heaven. I did not get the beverage holder, but I wish I had. At the next rally I attend I will pick up the holder.

Adventurer
HI All,
Thanks for all your replies. It seems as though the Kermit gets a Two Thumbs Up rating. I'm going to order one. Anyone understand why Expedition Exchange does not carry the leg extensions? They do have the cup holder.

Thanks, Sparky

Last edited:

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
The EE boys have a perverse idea that the leg extensions somehow destroy the purity of the design. They certainly aren't as attractive as the rest of the chair, but they do make it more comfortable. Just order directly from Kermit.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
I've had one for a couple years but used it very little because of different camping/packing set-ups. I recently started using it, including adding the leg extensions which I had yet to use.

Though not nearly as attractive as the chair without the leg extensions, the manner in which the extension snap into place is ingenious and quick. The extensions can be quickly and easily removed to make the package smaller for packing without doing the rest of the breakdown procedure to squeeze the chair into the pouch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94