in search of a good DOKA

LukeH

Adventurer
I was already checking if I got move the complete cooking and eating part of the cell to the cab
I'm with Itinerrant on this one
You have to stand UP to cook, there's no way it would be worth crouching.
BUT reading Apexcamper's contributions, I learn there are two opposing benches in the back of the cab. Well that's a perfectly good dinette! Be sure your table is small enough to move around to sit down, design your cell so that the kitchen is right up front against the cab and cut a respectable walk through between the two.

"separate kitchen and dining room"

sounds posh.

What I do suggest you look at is the pull-down beds you find above the front seats in integral euro motorhomes. In that big cab I'm sure you can find 180 x 160 of roof space; if you have your double bed tucked up in the ceiling of the cab (you could even raise the cab roof a little) you lose 15cm of ceiling height but you gain 160x180 floor space in the cell! Apparently the cab is already insulated and has a heater. When sitting driving ceiling height is less important; it can be as low as in the land rover.
"Separate master bedroom"
Also sounds good.
You could then have your dinette in the cell. Dinette in the cell is my preference because after a day's drive sitting in the cab, you don't really want to ask the kids to sit down in the cab to eat. As the dinette is the main living/lounging area you need as much space/air around it as possible for you not to feel like it's a cramped zone you have to crawl into to eat. Crawling into bed is more natural.

That in combination with the height issue (the barn: stay +/- in line with cabin height) push me to a pop up roof. I don't mind that @ all.
If you're going to cold regions it's going to have to be hard sided.
What's wrong with raising the height of the barn door, it seems strange to have to complicate your design just so it fits in a building it won't even see when you're travelling. With a higher cell you could also add one of those rooftop sleeping compartments that doubles as a wind deflector (although if you intend to put aftermarket roof mounted 24V air conditioners in the cab that presents a little problem)

Power is an issue if I read the reply's. I can feel that the +200 hp idea isn't that bad if I want to follow MAN's on the E411 :)
(yes, I'm from Belgium, currently working in the Sates) Power and age will make the difference. I like the V8, my RRC stays with me for that reason.
Vrrooom! True 13 litres only giving 240hp sounds bad, but a lightly loaded big engine is going to last a LOT longer than a smaller engine working hard to get the horses out.

I like planning and thinking around it. It's like building a house. When finished I loos interest and want to move to the next...(computers and wives?)
LOL

LukeH

Adventurer
Oh well, the 120-23 seems to be off Mobile.de

I hope it's because you bought it:)

There's still the 170-11 at a few thousand less...

Last edited:

SALLHAMv8

Since I'm searching more with the tag 'Iveco' I came along this one:
http://autoline.info/sf/municipalut...ck-IVECO-260-PAC-26-11100510295421003700.html

This was a complete brain drain, all normal thinking whipped out in ones.
Until the sales price was send to me: 37.000 euro. And it was not even the V10 air cooled engine but a 6 watercooled!!

Back to the screen and searching again. The Iveco 120-23 is still in the picture. Although I like more the cab design of a older Magirus or even an Mercedes 1019. And the cabins are eating to much camper space!

For the moment I'm not looking forward to have a master bed room in the cab!! Searching, and definitely building a camper will be a constant search for the best option and making choses. Eventually I will have a master bed room, will see...

LukeH

Adventurer
Hey there,
this one is perhaps more expensive than previous candidates, but it is a MAN.
The tipper tray is already 4 metres long, so if you extend to the European legal overhang of 60% of the wheelbase you will easily get a box over 5 metres.
The nice short cab might not have tons of knee room but it IS a 6 seater... it's a converted sleeper cab rather than a real DOKA. That means the bed which was MAX 90 cm wide has become seating. Measure the back seats of your landrover and decide if that's for you.
That generation of cab looks really ugly but with some nice fat branch deflectors and some spotlights you can hide all that. Putting on 14x20 tyres would also transform the look.

If it weren't such a short wheelbase this Steyr would be a no-brainer. Remember, MAN built their off-road reliability reputation by buying Steyr truck division. I once asked a french garage how much a chassis stretch would cost and they said 5000 euros including FRENCH admin procedures. And french labour is one of the highest in Europe so it could be cheaper in Germany.
Just thoughts

SALLHAMv8

@ LukeH: cool trucks you do find! I tought i'm doing good searches, but miss out on a few real nice trucks!

Thanks!
Can't measure the aft seats of the Defender for the next two weeks, but surely it's not a lot of room you get in that car.

Also the steyr is wild!

apexcamper

Carefully scripted chaos
ok, so it is a little underpowered, but it would be worth a call just to see if it REALLY what is pictured.

If it is, you would be half way there already
Man 8.150

haven

Expedition Leader
ceesbenz, our forum has a rule that all vehicles offered for sale must have an asking price. No "contact me if interested" or "best offer" posts allowed. Please update your post with a price. Thanks.

Chip Haven

dare2go

Observer
Has anyone reduced a long doka in length? View attachment 99497

If body work with sheet metal would be as easy as Photoshop... (BTW: you should have moved the lock/latch of the front roller door!)
I have seen MB1113 crew cabs which people have shortened, and also Magirus, but none of these have put in doors in the back, so you'd have to crawl in through the front doors. You also have to redo the cabin mounts on the frame, and on the MAG possibly the lift; all a bit easier on the MB Kurzhauber w/o tilting cabin.
Actually: with this length crew cab I believe the cabin is without tilt mechanism — service lid in the cabin floor instead.

Jpwikell

/.../You also have to redo the cabin mounts on the frame, and on the MAG possibly the lift; all a bit easier on the MB Kurzhauber w/o tilting cabin.
Actually: with this length crew cab I believe the cabin is without tilt mechanism — service lid in the cabin floor instead.

Not sure, after looking at several photos of the cabin (as I don't have one) it seems doable. The mountings and tilt shouldn't be a problem, however merging two bodies together is a right mess if you don't know what you're doing. It would be easier if the doors and glass wasn't there, then it would be a matter of cutting the back of and inserting a braced flat sheet in the back. Now you'll need to section the cab and merge it. The roof needs to be uncut. Hmmm.
Yes, doable.

1992_Iveco 90-16 AW shortened with original.jpgiveco__magirus_90_16_aw_turbo_4x4_thw_1985_8_lgw.jpgiveco__magirus_90_16_aw_turbo_4x4_thw_1985_7_lgw.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles