Upgrade bumper or stay stock?

Blair '72

I got into a fender bender recently and messed up the front bumper on my 2008 Tacoma. My deductible is $500 to get the stock bumper replaced and painted. The other option would be an ARB bumper as an upgrade. I don't do any hardcore wheeling or rock crawling, mainly just forest roads, dirt roads, and power line trails. I have a come along and don't really see a need for buying a winch in the future.

So should I just spend the $500 to fix the stock bumper or spend more and upgrade to an ARB which is probably overkill for my needs and knowing I'll probably never add a winch to it. Any other benefits to the ARB other than the ability to mount a winch?

Thanks,
Blair

downhill

Adventurer
If you are running stock suspension I would avoid a plate bumper. The extra weight will have a very adverse effect. I have an ARB on my Tacoma and I love it, but I have coilovers too. The ARB is a good general purpose bumper, among the best IMO. It is not a rock crawler bumper. It gives good animal protection and front end collision protection. A better option for you might be a tube bumper. They cost less, weigh less, and give far more protection than the stock bumper. Truthfully, a nice 2x6 would be better than the stock bumper.

Blair '72

I'm running bilstein 5100s in the front with stock springs and an AAL in the rear. I'm lifted about 1 inch in the front and rear. I would continue using this set up with the new bumper unless the front sags significantly or the ride degrades. If it does, I'd switch to an OME suspension with 886 springs in the front.

Mrknowitall

Adventurer
You shouldnt have to spend any more, as the ARB will liukely cost less than the factory replacement parts. A lot less. just have your insurance CO write you a check for the repairs, then throw on the ARB.

downhill

Adventurer
I'm running bilstein 5100s in the front with stock springs and an AAL in the rear. I'm lifted about 1 inch in the front and rear. I would continue using this set up with the new bumper unless the front sags significantly or the ride degrades. If it does, I'd switch to an OME suspension with 886 springs in the front.

When I put my ARB on (no winch) on my 07, I had stock suspension. The coils had already sagged a bit and the extra weight of the bumper brought my compression travel down to like 2". The truck was unsufferable to drive on anything but a smooth road. Even a small pothole on a logging road resulted in a jarring bottom against the stops. I installed a Fox 2.5 coilover and that took care of it.

As for the bumper, I think it is top notch. One of the things I like about it, that others may not is the overhang in the front. It does reduce approach angle a bit. For serious rock crawling for instance it would not be a good choice. The problem with tight fitting bumpers for general use is that the impacting surface is just a few inches from your grill, lights, etc. If you plow into a snow or dirt bank, hit an animal, or most real world obstacles, you will still get some body damage from the stuff coming past the bumper. The ARB moves that impact farther out and gives you a zone of protection. It is also well designed and offers good strength for the weight. It does not have recovery points so you will have to add those if you want them. It retains the factory recovery points, but they are low and may end up blocked. I have heard comments that access to the winch could be better. I don't have a winch (yet), but that might be a valid point. Bottom line, if I somehow destroyed mine I would buy the same thing again

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
You shouldnt have to spend any more, as the ARB will liukely cost less than the factory replacement parts. A lot less. just have your insurance CO write you a check for the repairs, then throw on the ARB.

I know an ARB for a 3rd gen 4runner/1st gen Taco will run you $750 easy unless you can find a used one and IIRC 2nd gen Tacos/4th gen 4runners are even pricier.

A better option for you might be a tube bumper. They cost less, weigh less, and give far more protection than the stock bumper. Truthfully, a nice 2x6 would be better than the stock bumper.

I love my tube bumper but I would be the first to say they are not the most attractive. The stock bumper covers up a lot of mechanical crap that looks pretty awful when exposed. If you don't mind something of a "Road Warrior" looking truck a tube bumper can be OK but make sure you are OK with the looks before plunking down the cash.

When I got into my front end accident the cost of the replacement parts was within $20 of the cost of my tube bumper (Addicted Off Road.) I was also able to save $$ on shipping because Addicted is in Greeley, CO and I picked it up in person.

Last edited:

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
So should I just spend the $500 to fix the stock bumper or spend more and upgrade to an ARB which is probably overkill for my needs and knowing I'll probably never add a winch to it. Any other benefits to the ARB other than the ability to mount a winch?

To answer your question directly, I'd say get the ARB or similar aftermarket. The cost will be roughly the same but you will have significantly better front end protection. Even if you don't mount a winch, the person you sell the truck to might want one and that ARB could be a nice selling point. Also, you may decide down the road that you want a winch and if you have the stock bumper you will have to get a new bumper anyway.

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
Get the ARB bumper. Even if you never take it off road can you imagine how cool you would look just leaning against the bumper?

Blair '72

If I wanted a truck to lean against and look cool, but never take off road, I'd get a Ford SVT Raptor. :D

The way I see it is:

1) Pay my $500 deductible and let the insurance company fix it to stock and maybe get my rate jacked up.
2) Spend another $400 and get a bumper that is sturdier

DirectDrive

Observer
If I wanted a truck to lean against and look cool, but never take off road, I'd get a Ford SVT Raptor. :D

The way I see it is:

1) Pay my $500 deductible and let the insurance company fix it to stock and maybe get my rate jacked up.
2) Spend another $400 and get a bumper that is sturdier
I would probably go with option #2
I'm not a fan of the ARB so I would take a look at the other offerings as well :
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/164975-bumpers-2nd-gens-only.html
1 or more of these shops offers an aluminum plate version.

upcountry

Explorer
I just got back from the ARB warehouse willcall with my new ARB bullbar bumper. Haven't even unwrapped it yet.

Cost $845 from toytec with no shipping and no tax. Picked up from will-call at ARB headquarters here in Renton WA.

The fitment kit weighs more than the POS OEM front bumper.

ANDYROO

Adventurer
Go Aluminess

Got my Aluminess front and rear 4 months ago.....they've taken some fairly solid hits whilst off road and has stood up really well. They are also significantly lighter than steel.

Check them out at www.aluminess.com

Attachments

• DSCN1619.JPG
    DSCN1619.JPG
    193.3 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0529.jpg
    IMG_0529.jpg
    1,014.6 KB · Views: 14

downhill

Adventurer
I just got back from the ARB warehouse willcall with my new ARB bullbar bumper. Haven't even unwrapped it yet.

Cost $845 from toytec with no shipping and no tax. Picked up from will-call at ARB headquarters here in Renton WA.

The fitment kit weighs more than the POS OEM front bumper.

The front OEM bumper is a cruel joke. I removed the plastic by putting on a pair of gloves and just yanking it off. 8 or 9 yanks and it was off to the dump pile. Then I just unbolted the aluminum subframe. I think the whole mess was under 20 pounds.
The ARB is an easy one man install. Once you get the subframe attached, the bumper will sit on it while you get the bolts in. For me it was a trouble free install and I was done by mid afternoon. Congrats on the new armor!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles