K-Wrench for Scepter MFC caps

teotwaki

Excelsior!
This is a short review of the K-Wrench tool for Scepter Military Fuel Cans.
I purchased one through AJIK Overland Exchange: http://ajikoverlandexchange.com/products-page/equipment/405-2/
mfcwrench0081.jpg

It is about 11” x 5” x 1” and weighs less than 10 ounces even though machined from a solid piece of HDPE plastic.

Plenty of clearance for the strap:
mfcwrench001.jpg

mfcwrench004.jpg

Last edited:

teotwaki

Excelsior!
How the K-Wrench compares to other common tools used to remove the MFC caps.
mfcwrench012.jpg

The Scepter cap has a mostly smooth collar with only a couple of ridges. When using other tools they have to be positioned to maximize the grip on the ridges of the MFC's cap.

The oil filter wrench is more likely to gouge or damage the MFC's fuel cap when it slips.
mfcwrench013.jpg

The strap wrench is cheap but can slip and has been known to have the strap break under heavy load. You also have to thread the strap underneath the MFC cap's retainer strap.
mfcwrench014.jpg

In certain positions the K-Wrench's short handles bring your fingers close to the MFC's carry handles
but with two handles to spin the tool it is not an issue.

mfcwrench003.jpg

A minor gripe of mine with the K-Wrench is that the final machining of the interior creates an
almost sharp edge on the center opening.
mfcwrench011.jpg

Overall, the K-Wrench makes opening and tightening the caps of MFCs into an easy task. There is another very similar single handled wrench that available on the market. It is built about the same and weighs about the same but costs $20 additional which kept me from purchasing such a dedicated tool in the early days. I like the two-handed tool better for both the lower cost and the torque applied to the cap is smooth and balanced. Now that the MFC's are more expensive than the fuel in them, it doesn't hurt to take good care of the caps that top them off.

Last edited:

Inukshuk

Guide
I have wheeled to the Dollhouse and back and seen the original wooden prototype made by the inventor of this. Another 4x4 tool born of necessity. Made by a great guy who is just a regular guy like us.

Woodsman

Adventurer
Thanks for the compliment Dan and great review Jim. I started making these in laminated baltic birch a few years ago after running the Kokopelli Trail and finding my cans impossible to open the next morning. Several of us messed with the cans for a while and finally got them open but I knew there was a better way. Once I returned home I developed the laminated version and started selling them to friends here and there through word of mouth. As time passed I made slight revisions to the design and started using HDPE to avoid the carpel tunnel problems I was having with all the handwork on the wood version. As far as I know, every wood and plastic wrench made is still in service.

teotwaki

Excelsior!
Thanks for the compliment Dan and great review Jim. I started making these in laminated baltic birch a few years ago after running the Kokopelli Trail and finding my cans impossible to open the next morning. Several of us messed with the cans for a while and finally got them open but I knew there was a better way. Once I returned home I developed the laminated version and started selling them to friends here and there through word of mouth. As time passed I made slight revisions to the design and started using HDPE to avoid the carpel tunnel problems I was having with all the handwork on the wood version. As far as I know, every wood and plastic wrench made is still in service.

THAT was the bit of history that was tickling my brain! The wood version was born in 2009 after a Kokopelli Trail adventure and the HDPE version in April of 2011
Scepter5.jpg

Last edited:

TangoBlue

American Adventurist

Thank you! I have my single handled early version from FL - it has been a welcome addition to my kit. :bowdown:

teotwaki

Excelsior!
So the other single-sided handle Scepter MFC lid wrench weighs about the same and has similar features:
HDPE, strap relief, a good grip on the cap, works with caps or fuel spouts and so on but at higher $$$ cost.
8db18d8fc403a8c78fbf6428ea1dc4da.jpg

Any takers on single versus double handles? I wish that I had one of the others to try for myself some time.
The difference may not be that big. Maybe harder to obtain an even application of torque similar to a standard
L-shaped tire lug wrench versus the X shaped ones that effectively give you two handles to turn the lug socket with.
lug-nut-wrench-1.jpg

135635_lg.jpg

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
That's what I have Jim. I'd like to give you some sort of sophisticated analysis of why it's good but you already noted that it works on MFC and MWC, and has a strap relief cut.

I usually open it with one hand on the handle and the other hand, directly below the shoulder, on the cap, keeping it firmly in place. Perhaps the downward force assists in leverage... IDK. It works pretty easily.

I'm all about multi-tasking my gear so I'm looking at a screen insert so I can use it as a fly-swatter, too. After extensive testing this year I found it failed miserably - didn't get any flies. The screen should do it.

Woodsman

Adventurer
Any takers on single versus double handles? I wish that I had one of the others to try for myself some time.

I made a couple of one-handled prototypes of my design with handles of various lengths thinking that if I offered a one-handled version I could capture more of the market. After using them I realized that loosening the caps is a two handed job with either wrench. Most people loosen the caps by standing over the jerry can so they can keep it from rotating. With the two-handled version, I feel very "centered" and it feels like one smooth motion.

RockingKCapWrench.jpg

With the one-handled version, I personally feel awkward in that I am off center when standing over the can, pushing down with my left hand to keep the wrench on the cap and (since I am right-handed) pushing forward to loosen the cap. My right hand never feels right quite right in this motion whether I do it underhand or overhand.

Granted, you might think I am biased in this review but I think you will understand what I mean above and you will understand it even more if you try it both ways as I have. :smiley_drive:

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Love my K-Wrenches, I've got an original wood one that still gets some use and the newer model resides in my Tacoma. I've opened dozens and dozens of cans with them, no qualms here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne