04 Aug 07 Lake Peaseant to Crown King

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
Wow! Huge turnout...

Only two of us from Expo - Ed and myself. He had quite an adventure tackling the tough spots on the trail. Dual lockers rule! We were met in CK by AZCCP and his wife. They came from Holbrook after he'd worked all night! Thanks for coming out!

The first section of the venerable LP/CK trail is now graded/bladed to a 1.5 to 2.0 level. All major obsticals are relatively intact tho, so it's still fun. It's much faster now to get to CK - without mechanical problems I think we would have been there in about 4 hours.

We had a young guy along that learned a tough lesson in throttle control. There is a reason it's called rock crawling...

On every obstical he tried to get over, he lit up the tires. Even on the one obsticle I was spotting him thru, he wouldn't listen to instructions, and on the next one he blew up the rearend on a new style Tacoma. I was in posistion to see it happen - he applied full throttle and bounced the rearend off the ground and when it came down I heard it strip the internals of an e-locker. BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ BANG!!!

After removing the rear d'shaft, one of the AZTORRA guys was kind enough to get him out to the pavement. Took them 3.5 hours to get out...

I went home via the Senator with AZCCP - we tackled a hill climb and went to one of the old big trees near Palace Station. I got hung up on a log - got out after Chuck chopped off a chunk and we moved it a we bit.

Anyway, I had a good day wheeling, hoep you all did too!

Mark

viatierra

Explorer
Looks like a really cool Crown King run. It was a perfect day for it! The ONLY day on my schedule that is off limits is the first Sat of each month. Otherwise I would have given a pint of blood to be there.

articulate

Expedition Leader
Since Greg and I are connected by blood, I'd have to give a pint too. I doubt a black Nissan Frontier would blend in well, though.

crawler#976 said:
Even on the one obsticle I was spotting him thru, he wouldn't listen to instructions, and on the next one he blew up the rearend on a new style Tacoma.
:REOutArchery02:
We've all been that guy, not listening to instructions. Although I do have one affectionate friend who thinks "Gimme some more throttle! Gotta get on that throttle or you ain't never gonna make it up!" is sound spotter advice. He also spends his time on the trail doing this (coincidentally from the Crown King back road):

jeep_recovery1.jpg

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
Greg, I'll try to remember about the first Sat being no es bueno.

Mark, we had a Jeep, 3/4T Dodge, and a Nissan Titan along! I think you'd have been welcome :)

AZCPP

Adventurer
Here is one for ya Mark. It was nice to meet you and run back to Prescott with you. We also got to meet Ed along with some other nice people and see some cool rigs. It was a long day for me as I got up at 4pm on Friday went to work at 9:30pm until 7:30am Saturday, then headed out for CK, then to Prescott, then back to Holbrook. I was ready for bed when we got home!
But, it was a great day!!!!!!!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94