on the road again

blackduck

Explorer
yeah we are finaly on the move again
after 2 years in perth taking care of family / grandkids and weddings we have finnaly packed the canter, hooked up the van and are in motion
next stop darwin in about 12 months time
then across the top back to queensland which completes the first circumnavigation of aus via the coast road
and takes me one step closer to having parabolic springs fitted to the canter to soften the ride on my poor aching back

stu

blackduck

Explorer
cant rush things
after all there is alot of coastline to ponder between here and the territory
day one saw 200ks in a southerly direction
and yes i know im heading the wrong way but for some reason known only to she who must be obeyed we have to go via wave rock

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
Argh... I see the problem... silly me figured you'd be going from Perth to Darwin in a clockwise direction. :Wow1:

blackduck

Explorer
i think every sane logical thinking person should have a navigator like mine
every journey is like a passage through the twilight zone
this is a woman who argues with the GPS
put it this way if you see a canter reversing a 33' caravan up a small side street its probably me after ive done as im told
its just easier that way

4x4x4doors

Explorer
Having the chain of command in place and established before execution is key to success. Good to see that you understand this and are operating in compliance. We want pictures and stories! Have a safe journey.

Bushy62

If you happen to pass through Esperance would love to catch up and compare notes on the Canters. Also wanting to install the parabolic suspension.

blackduck

Explorer
unfortunatley esperance was a primary stop on the way over from the east
we have to do the mandatory tourist stops in the south west before turning north
it suprises me we didnt do all this during the 2 years we were based here
as far as the suspension goes
the boys at all terrain do a specy 5 link for the canter they have some great shots on thier web
down side is i cant convince the dragon that the cost is benneficial (women are funny like that)
i still dont have a price for the parabolics (hint hint John) but ive managed to talk the department of finance round to the idea (i hit the rough stuff with the left hand side of the truck where possible)
trying to convince her of the asthetic and ride quality of a set of super singles too
i figure ill let her pick some nice curtains for the camper body in return

Bushy62

Super Singles make a big difference to your ride, and increase your off road capability especially in the sand. Run 19.5 rims with 285's on. Not many places we cant get to now.

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Hi Stu,

Just drove a Canter over from Adelaide to Perth via Coolgardie. Flew back last night.....if I knew you were down that way, I would have take the scenic route south through Esperance.....awesome trip but all too quick......did the 1400kms from Ceduna to Coolgardie in one hit....how's this? >> had the street pilot on and when I left Ceduna it said " at the roundabout take the second exit...then turn right after 1196kms " .... you could tell there wasn't going much steering involved.

John.

Last edited:

blackduck

Explorer
nice - i like it
its a dead boring run though
i always let the wife drive that bit
not much can go wrong in a straight line ???
although overtaking road trains scare the bejeezes out of her

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Hi Stu

its a dead boring run though
Never. Love it. Plenty to see. Always heaps of eagles and wildlife. Wrong time of year now for the whales ...... and how's the scenery coming down that Eucla Pass. Wish I had the time for a surf down at Cactus too....just at the start of the Bight cliffs in from Penong. A certain person I know holds the world land speed record in the hire car class set on the salt flats behind Cactus. Haha

Re: travelling out of Perth.
Man, there's some awesome coast when you get a few hours up above Perth too.....Cervantes, Greenough, Drummonds Cove, Bowes River, Lucky Bay, Zuytorp Cliffs, Kalbarri, Red Bluff on Quobba Station, Gnarloo Station.....fish galore.

John.

Last edited:

blackduck

Explorer
Hey john
im taking notes
funny thing is weve been here 2 years and have been working 5 days a week but never managed to actualy get out and see much
we take the strom away every month and see some of the country but always end up in a country pub and thats the end of me (i like country pubs)
as far as the truck goes it hasnt managed to many miles over the past couple of years - an 07 model and it hasnt topped 40K yet which is good in some ways but pretty sad if you think about it
but things will change

blackduck

Explorer
My apologies to all you guys slaving away at work
this is fowlers camp just outside of Denham (Shark Bay) WA
a lovely spot where the temperature hasnt dipped below 30 all week
we are 4 months in and so far only moved about 3000k's
once again "sorry"

Attachments

• (denham) fowlers camp.jpg
    (denham) fowlers camp.jpg
    425.2 KB · Views: 63