on the road again

blackduck

Explorer
Did you have any trouble with the locals up the west coast, i have had bad reports from customers who have been over that way recently.

what locals in particular?
so far we havent had any problems but in saying that we have alot of west coast still to travel

blackduck

Explorer
came across another mobile mountain in the millstream national park
this beast in the guise of a Suzu 300 belongs to Vic & Di
Vic wasnt aware of the forum - but he is now!! (I should be on a commision or somthing :victory:)
he built it himself and with the aid of some ATW singles and parabolics its quite an impressive sight
certainly makes my poor old mitsi look like a midget

vic n di's truck.jpg

blackduck

Explorer
Some 150 Km's of extremely good dirt road east of Karratha lies Millstream / Chitchester national park
its a small oasis in what will eventually all be dug up for iron ore
The NP has some really well appointed camp sites and with the Fortescue river running ********** through the middle makes an ideal swimming spot on a hot day
Mt Herbert (pictured behind the truck) doesnt look like much and for a fat bloke with a gammy knee was an easy climb
the views from the top were outstanding
(PS) Aplogies to Alan - I believe its snowing in Victoria :sombrero:

(millstream) fortesque river at deep reach pool.jpg(millstream) looking up at mt herbet.jpg(millstream) truck in mt herbert carpark.jpg(millstream) truck over mt herbet scenery.jpg(millstream) view from mt herbert 2.jpg(millstream) view from mt herbert.jpg

blackduck

Explorer
Great photos. Curious to know what your avg fuel consumption is?

Ben.

Ben

Fully booted and spurred with 100l water, 300l fuel, 2 boats, motorbike and everything we own
we come close to 9 tonne (3.5 van - 5.5 truck)
on average we burn about 18 - 20 litres per 100Km
thats about the same as a 4.2 landcruiser with van in tow
except Im about 4 tonne heavier

blackduck

Explorer
Just for those who havent had the opportunity to pass a road train in the north west

when these things get up to speed they're scary

(port headland) road train.jpg

fg4oz

Adventurer
Ben

Fully booted and spurred with 100l water, 300l fuel, 2 boats, motorbike and everything we own
we come close to 9 tonne (3.5 van - 5.5 truck)
on average we burn about 18 - 20 litres per 100Km
thats about the same as a 4.2 landcruiser with van in tow
except Im about 4 tonne heavier

That's a great set up. Is yours a swb?

Ben.

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Hi Stu,

There was only ever 2 WB's available ...... although they may have varied slighty...the confusion was the the longer one was either called the MWB or LWB but to my knowledge there was never 2 longer WB variants. The difference is 600mm and the MWB/LWB uses an extra 600mm centre tailshaft and the SWB has 600mm cut out of the front end of the rear section of the chassis (or just behind the step). Clear as mud.

BTW I once had to overtake a triple trailer road train towing a sick double trailer road train out near Katherine....lucky the roads are pretty straight out there. I wouldn't want to be doing it in a Canter.

Go the Maroons.....

Last edited:

fg4oz

Adventurer
thanks Stu, i just took a quick look at your link. Great set up. Mine is also a SWB 08 model, looks identical (without all the fun stuff!) I had ATW do the single wheel conversion and parabolics a month ago and it is a better ride, can't wait to give it a good test.

Ben.

blackduck

Explorer
thanks Stu, i just took a quick look at your link. Great set up. Mine is also a SWB 08 model, looks identical (without all the fun stuff!) I had ATW do the single wheel conversion and parabolics a month ago and it is a better ride, can't wait to give it a good test.

Ben.

Ben
Im green with envy
had the chance to do springs and wheels before we left perth but didnt take it
Im paying for it now with every corrugation and bump i hit
its the top of my "what to spend money on" list when we hit darwin

blackduck

Explorer
So for those of you who have been paying attention
youll know I carry my 1000 V Strom covered on the back of the truck
this is what it looked like when uncovered in Broome
it appears ive been collecting Pilbra bulldust along the way
So much for "its a beatiful day I might go for a ride" :bike_rider:

bike on sml.jpgdirty bike (1).jpgdirty bike (2).jpg

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Hi Stu,

That's why I painted my Vstrom "desert tan" to start with. Haha. Looks a bit bright under the flash...

vstrom tank.jpg

blackduck

Explorer
Hi Stu,

That's why I painted my Vstrom "desert tan" to start with. Haha. Looks a bit bright under the flash...

View attachment 109383

I LIKE IT
cant wait to see the whole thing
you'll have to pull your finger out and get it finished :bike_rider:

showed it to the wife she hates it (said the same thing about the desert truck too)
just goes to show women have no taste in colour

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier